Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 10:28 AM

129 posts, read 444,746 times

Advertisements

Had a heart attack on May 28th at 59 years old. Excellent and fast treatment (2) stents. Have worked off 20 pounds and have no physical restrictions. Quit a 2 pack a day smoking habit. So, a quick overview screams "great".
The bad part has been the Doctor telling me that I had faced my own mortality. I didn't take that well. While I don't give it a lot of thought now the idea that I could have easily died does pop up now and then.
As a result I become anxious and way too quiet. I take Zanax when needed and have just started seeing a Psychologist. Since he is close to my age I hope we can work a few things out.
Certainly this forum has members who might have similar experiences. I just need to hear a few tricks of the trade that might put me at peace.
Any ideas or experiences?
I use my 30 to 45 aggressive walking a day to convince myself that I'm OK. Otherwise I'm not active enough at work to draw my mind away from health and economy issues. BTW that's not a good mix.
Thanks for responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 01:41 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
I think its just time. My grandmother had a heart attack and would panic at the slightest wince of any chest sensation and call 911. She didnt go on meds or anything she just got over it after awhile.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
got your bubble popped. it changes everything.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
The anxiety you are feeling now will go away. That's when a lot of people return to old habits -- and then they have their next or last heart attack.

Problem with smoking is that it makes your arteries hard and less flexible. If you are serious about improving your odds, I would say you never go near animal fat again. No butter, no red meat. Just eat fish and egg whites, that's it. The long walks are great.

I lost a friend this past year. He was a smoker, too. But he only had one heart attack. They found him the next day. He past away in his sleep. He was a life long smoke. Very thin man. He was a nice person. I'm so glad they found a home for his dog.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:17 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Try meditation or self hypnosis, positive affirmations ask your Psychologist about them the Dr. could probably help you write the affirmation too. Calming aromatherapy scents could help as well.
Hang in there just quitting smoking 2 packs a day is big kudo's to you congratulations.
You could get music that is calming to listen to even at work.
Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness