Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 02:03 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,289,428 times

Advertisements

I have been having problems with UTI's this last year and finally my gyn put me on Macrobid, for the next 10 days I will take the full dose and then after that I will take it as a preventative. Does anyone have any experience with this med? I found a website that had reviews from users and people had really weird side effects from this med that I wouldn't have expected. Sounded like some of them were allergic to it or maybe had something in addition to a UTI. So far so good I have had no problems just have to take it with food or a full glass of milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 05:12 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,966,521 times
Nitrofurantoin (the real name for Macrobid, which is the trade name) is a VERY old antibiotic. So old, in fact, that I've never had occasion to use it. It works, but there are issues of very quick development of bacterial resistance because of the way it affects bacterial growth.

People have adverse reactions to ALL drugs. And even to things that aren't drugs. But many more people have NO problem than actually have a problem.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:47 AM

1,058 posts, read 678,395 times
It always worked really well for me!

Old 10-30-2016, 11:09 AM

5,848 posts, read 6,204,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
It always worked really well for me!
Same here. I've taken it PRN (usually only about once a week) for over 10 years now with absolutely no problems or adverse affects. The trick is to use the minimal dose required to prevent the UTI's (in my case, I take 100mg).

Each and every new OB/Gyn I've gone to has been more than happy to continue this for me and has always indicated that this course of therapy is what they advise for their patients. Could I probably discontinue its use? Maybe, but I'm not inclined to try and find out. The one and only time I did stop was when I was pregnant for the first time and was in my first trimester and didn't want to take any meds (and I ended up getting a UTI). As PP mentioned, this is an antibiotic that has been around a long time and is known to generally well tolerated.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:14 PM

5,848 posts, read 6,204,695 times
Ugh, didn't even look at the date of the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness