Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you know your blood type?
YES 124 81.05%
NO 29 18.95%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:41 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I'm AB+ the universal recipient, if I remember correctly.
What is the catchphrase for O+?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
That's what universal donor blood (O pos) is for. You can thank people like me who have lots of it running through their veins, and freely donate.
Not really...

Unless its a true life and death emergency with a patient bleeding out in the OR or ED and there isn't enough type specific blood available...a patient will always receive type specific blood.

I worked in a blood bank for years before becoming a PA and I never crossmatched anything but type specific blood for patients.

Also its O negative that is considered the universal donor not O positive

Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell325 View Post
One positive reason to know your blood type is if you donate. O-Negative is universal, so if you have that type, you may want to donate on a regular basis. I do, and it is a great feeling to know you are helping someone. You can give once every two months. You can order that blood test online cheap
Yeap i always see it in the newspaper locally that the bloodbank needs type-O the most. Also it's good if men or women over 40 donate a couple times of year if you can as to lower the amount of iron in our blood as over the years it can build up to possibly cause problems in our cardiovascular system although i admit that i myself never donate which i should start to do.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
And to further confuse matters, the RH factor can also be positive (dominant) or negative (recessive), much to the consternation and confusion of my first OB.

I'm O negative (found out when I gave blood, and confirmed when I was pregnant for the first time), and both of my parents are O positive. My OB insisted that my father could not really be my father, because RH factor is inherited. I tried to explain dominant/recessive genes to her, but she looked at my blankly and said "no, that's impossible."

So I'm O neg, my DH is A pos, and I'm pretty sure that both of my kids are A positive, if I'm remembering what the nurses in the hospital told me after they were born.
I find this story more than a little hard to believe...

Any first year medical student is intimately aware of ABO groupings and Rh factor.

An OB in particular, due to hemolytic disease of the newborn, has to have a firm grasp of the concept.

I don't buy that you had to "teach" basic genetics to your OB, and if you did that OB should not be practicing.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
I learned mine was A positive when I was in 7th grade. We were studying the blood in science class and someone from a lab came in to talk to us about blood typing and they chose several of us to "type" our blood on the spot. And yes, if you donate, you can find out your blood type.

My husband, on the other hand, is 54 years old and, still doesn't know his blood type. He had quadruple bypass surgery about 4 years ago and while he was in the hospital, he asked what his blood type was. This nurse wasn't able to tell him. I'm sure it was written down somewhere in his chart, but he was still not able to find out!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
AB negative here. As rare as they come. I have a blood card from when I donated blood. It has my type on it so I keep it in my wallet. All you have to do is ask your doctor because if they have ever drawn blood, I am sure it has been typed at some point and is on your record.
This isn't true.

Blood typing is only done if specifically ordered. You could have blood drawn all the time for routine chemistries, complete blood count, whatever. Unless a blood type and screen was specifically ordered, no one would ever have done that test on your blood.

If you are woman and you ever have been pregnant than you will have had a type and screen done during your pregnancy for sure. Men....not unless you have had surgery or donated blood are you likely to have had your blood typed.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:09 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Yep, you're right. Too early, no coffee. O neg indeed.

But as far as the other part of your statement goes, I never said that my blood would be given in lieu of the exact blood type. It just CAN be given if the "real" blood type isn't available.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:14 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,350 times
O neg here! Also remember that when you donate blood, you lose a pound! Yes, a pint is a pound the world around, so it's good for you too!

I lose 6 lbs a year this way! Unfortunately, they always seem to find their way back! LOL

(just don't eat 100000000000 calories of snacks afterwards!)

Old 02-05-2009, 09:32 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

Learned something today! I did not know that. I have always thought that O+ was the universal donor.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times
I don't, but I'd love to go on the Bloodtype diet ... I hear it's great for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness