Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM

215 posts, read 652,263 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard of those, looked online and read up a bit on them. Do you know of anyone who has had success with the implants? They seem like they would be more for a person who suffers from deafness, I know the tinnitus makes me question what people say sometimes because the ringing gets so bad, but I'm not sure if I would be considered hearing impaired. I'll ask my doctor about them though, sounds pretty interesting, I would risk the surgery if it would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,975 times
I don't know anyone that has them. Like you said they are mainly meant for the nearly/completely deaf. That is really the only viable option. All the vitamins and feel good "medicine" in the world won't bring your hearing back. Maybe with the blue hair population rising worldwide we'll see some push for better hearing implants and surgeries.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:30 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
my daughter is a doctor who deal with such. She,in fact has Tinnitus as well. I have had it over 25 years. Cochlear implants are not designed for this. Research is ongoing but not getting any real results; in so far as treatment.
Some medicines can and do cause it or make it worse when you have it. There are masking devices being used which help to some degree. I use a sound machine at night. I made sure the one I bought has battery backup in the event of a power outtage because when it's too quiet, the noise in my ears will make me crazy.
Watch your aspirin intake and if on other meds-try to note which if any cause it to worsen.
As a Tinnitus sufferer I can sympathize and offer support but the main thing I've learned is to not dwell on it. I did that for my first 2 years after getting it and I actually became nearly suicidal over it.
I can ask my daughter for further information in regards to the masking device if you want me to.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 PM

Tinnitus is not typically associated with any hearing loss. In fact my hearing is TOO good I hear things/sounds a typical person wouldn't pick up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I don't know anyone that has them. Like you said they are mainly meant for the nearly/completely deaf. That is really the only viable option. All the vitamins and feel good "medicine" in the world won't bring your hearing back. Maybe with the blue hair population rising worldwide we'll see some push for better hearing implants and surgeries.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:44 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
Tinnitus is not typically associated with any hearing loss. In fact my hearing is TOO good I hear things/sounds a typical person wouldn't pick up on.
Could have fooled me and thousands of Iraq vets.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:19 PM

key word: typically!Didn't say it doesn't happen AND my daughter treats VA patients so I'm not totally ignorant of your plight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Could have fooled me and thousands of Iraq vets.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:30 PM

36,417 posts, read 16,026,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
my daughter is a doctor who deal with such. She,in fact has Tinnitus as well. I have had it over 25 years. Cochlear implants are not designed for this. Research is ongoing but not getting any real results; in so far as treatment.
Some medicines can and do cause it or make it worse when you have it. There are masking devices being used which help to some degree. I use a sound machine at night. I made sure the one I bought has battery backup in the event of a power outtage because when it's too quiet, the noise in my ears will make me crazy.
Watch your aspirin intake and if on other meds-try to note which if any cause it to worsen.
As a Tinnitus sufferer I can sympathize and offer support but the main thing I've learned is to not dwell on it. I did that for my first 2 years after getting it and I actually became nearly suicidal over it.
I can ask my daughter for further information in regards to the masking device if you want me to.
OMG 25 years, I was hoping mine would someday just disappear. Mine is about 2 years or so, at first misdiagnosed as ear infections because they would clog and the noise would be pulsatory, even road noise goes whop whop whop instead of hmmmmm. Today is considered a bad day where the ringing is so loud, it drives me nuts.

I have had an MRI, brain stem reaction test and several hearing tests. I have some hearing loss and on bad days I may miss something someone says. I am never without it. I use a fan at night. I go to bed it's there, I wake up, it's there. It's high pitched tinnitus in both ears.

Thanks for this thread, I'd been thinking about staring one myself

Old 02-08-2009, 02:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I've Tinnitus for about 20 years. For anyone hoping it will go away, it won't. The cause of mine, according to a doctor, is that the "hairs" in my ear that vibrate when hit with sound and pass that along to the brain are damaged and are now "always on". This was caused by loud noises when I was younger. Concerts, head phones, working in plants with no ear protection, etc. All those youngsters with the loud stereos in their cars are in for a rough time when they get older. Don't bother to tell them, it does no good. No more so than it would have when I was that age. Goes with the territory, ya know...

I have tried countless remedies, even muscle relaxers, and nothing works. I asked a doctor if I had someone intentionally deafen me if it would stop. After a look of incredulity and a long pause the answer was no, because those hairs are still damaged. Actually, I don't think he wanted to answer honestly. I doubt anyone would ever do it anyway, but I was pretty desperate.

If you have Tinnitus you do have a hearing loss. Everything that creates sound in the range of your Tinnitus you never hear, it's overpowered by the constant noise.

Some things I have learned over the years:

It's worse in winter when it is dry.

It's worse when I drink coffee, eat chocolate, or take in any stimulant like caffeine or tannin (teas contain this), aspirin, etc.

It's worse when I'm stressed.

It's more obvious when it's quiet unless I'm paying attention to something else, or preoccupied with something.

Hearing aids don't help. All they do is make everything I can hear louder. What I can't hear still isn't there. I was told that if my hearing was improved by a hearing aid that the ringing would not be as noticeable. Lie.

Suicide is not an option. Well, maybe. It has been a serious consideration on more than one occasion.

I don't think there is a great effort being made to find a solution. I doubt there ever will be. Since it is a "hidden" problem and not considered life-threatening (how many reported deaths are there from Tinnitus?) there will be little effort put forth to find a cure.

If you have it plan on having it the rest of your life.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:16 PM

36,417 posts, read 16,026,236 times
Hey Tek, I was told the same things and I grew up in a noisy environment, concerts, machine shop and all of that. I told my doctor I would give up some hearing if the ringing went away

My Dad has it some and we both have this thing where when we turn on the TV in the morning it is so loud seems like it gets worse as the day goes on too.

I can't stand loud noises now, the alarm where I worked went off a lot and it was horrible

Damn I love coffee and chocolate

Old 02-08-2009, 02:34 PM

I have enhanced hearing and NO loss associated with tinnitus

there is on going research in regards to tinnitus; just no definitive answers-yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness