Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:13 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjunglist View Post
You may not have been replying to my post. But hopefully I'm speaking for the thread starter as well! I can appreciate this... but I am a rare breed - and was born with white knuckles. I came from a difficult background, and every accomplishment in my life has come from pure, independent mental victory over the next challenge and those who said I couldn't do it. So... with all due respect, thanks for saying I'm bound to fail. You just made it one notch easier for me. We can definitely agree that focus on the positive will get you what you want.

Congrats on quitting.
I should not have said you were "doomed to fail." I wish you the best and it sounds like you have a lot of motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
You really believe all those were "fake" coughs?
I don't have to see a cigarette near me to know that someone is smoking.
I really feel it starting to fill in my lungs as well.
I congratulate those who are really trying to quit and respect those who step out to smoke away from other family members who don't. I wish it were easy
enough for everyone to stop but knowing some family members who have tried, it's not as easy for some as it is for others - especially when they have
immediate family members who are puffing away everywhere and anytime they can. Those saboteurs
At no point did I state that everyone's cough is/was fake, but there definitely is an affected fake-cough thing some people do when passing smokers on the street. Every smoker has witnessed this.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 AM

72 posts, read 251,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I should not have said you were "doomed to fail." I wish you the best and it sounds like you have a lot of motivation.
Thanks, much appreciated. This thread is helping a lot - especially during the volatile early stages. Logging in to remind myself why I can't submit... because even 1 cig is one too many, and for me that's falling right off the wagon. Not an option!

As was stated earlier a few times... once you really know you want it, it really isn't that hard. Like anything in life - it's only as difficult as you make it.

Cheers

Old 01-03-2012, 02:16 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,344 times
My Doc wants me to quit (yes, like every other Doc before this one...lol). She wants me to just step down my usage over time instead of other methods after our discussion.

I have tried everything I know of. I even payed out of pocket for Chantex and it did not work for me.

Today at the Mall, there was a center cart that had the E-Cigs. This one had one I could try though so I did. I actually liked it.

So far I had 1 cigarette on the way home. 3 hours home pretty much surfing the internet and all I have used was the E-Cig. I know I would have had at least 3 regular cigs by now. I even showed my Wife, one one cig gone from the new pack.

We are getting Dinner ready so there is a good test to see if the E Cig holds down the craving.

I am still not sure if the E-Cig is safe but I would think it is safer than a regular cig. The act of smoking, the red light at the end and then seeing the vapor getting blown out I think helps trick my brain some.

If things go well, tomorrow I am going to try to step down regular cigarettes by using the e-cig more. After some time I will lower the strength of the e-cig mixture and try using it less too. I am also armed with Gum and Sunflower Seeds sitting on the desk.

I hope it works for me.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
My Doc wants me to quit (yes, like every other Doc before this one...lol). She wants me to just step down my usage over time instead of other methods after our discussion.

I have tried everything I know of. I even payed out of pocket for Chantex and it did not work for me.

Today at the Mall, there was a center cart that had the E-Cigs. This one had one I could try though so I did. I actually liked it.

So far I had 1 cigarette on the way home. 3 hours home pretty much surfing the internet and all I have used was the E-Cig. I know I would have had at least 3 regular cigs by now. I even showed my Wife, one one cig gone from the new pack.

We are getting Dinner ready so there is a good test to see if the E Cig holds down the craving.

I am still not sure if the E-Cig is safe but I would think it is safer than a regular cig. The act of smoking, the red light at the end and then seeing the vapor getting blown out I think helps trick my brain some.

If things go well, tomorrow I am going to try to step down regular cigarettes by using the e-cig more. After some time I will lower the strength of the e-cig mixture and try using it less too. I am also armed with Gum and Sunflower Seeds sitting on the desk.

I hope it works for me.
Good luck. A friend of mine has been using the ecig and it seems to be working for her. She is no longer smoking any regular cigarettes.

As noted, I did the "ear thing" (Auricular therapy). It amazed me that, after that was done, I went 24 hours without a cigarette for the first time in 35 years except for the two days I was hooked up to a morphine IV and catheter after a C-section. Once I got through that first day, I knew I could quit, because I'd never gotten through the first day before.

Before that, though, I'd started to cut down. At certain times of the day when I'd always had one--for example, in the morning walking from the train to the office--I'd start to cut them out and wait until my next one. I believe that helped when I finally quit totally.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjunglist View Post
Thanks, much appreciated. This thread is helping a lot - especially during the volatile early stages. Logging in to remind myself why I can't submit... because even 1 cig is one too many, and for me that's falling right off the wagon. Not an option!

As was stated earlier a few times... once you really know you want it, it really isn't that hard. Like anything in life - it's only as difficult as you make it.

Cheers
Yes, I was edgy that first week. A little depressed and sometimes a little angry. One of my cats was yelling WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH to me to be petted one morning and I found myself screaming at her, "SHUT UP BEFORE I SNAP YOUR LITTLE NECK!"

I would never, of course!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:22 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post

I hope it works for me.
You bought an ecig at the mall? Hope you didn't spend too much as most are way overpriced. There are many threads of which I have been a participant regarding ecigs. Check the forum E-Cigarette Forum; start with the New Members Forum if you have never been here before.

I'm smoke free since September 3, 2010. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:17 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I white-knuckled it. That was two years, one month and 24 days ago. But who's counting?

Anyone that tells you need to do this or that doesn't realize the power of the human mind or themselves. I'm one of those that has quit everything that I put my mind to, stuff that people say, "Oh. Once you do that you're doomed." Poppycock.

And I smoked for 30 years. Smoked at least 30 cigarettes a day. No less but often more.

Anytime someone tells me they are going to "try" to do something I know they are full of it. You do or you don't but you don't "try."

Anyone that says "try" around me gets this action: I throw a pencil or similar object on the ground and then tell them to "try" to pick it up. Can't, can you? You either pick it up or you don't.

If you want to quit then you will. The money has nothing to do with it. If you are done, you are done.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM

19,721 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I white-knuckled it. That was two years, one month and 24 days ago. But who's counting?

Anyone that tells you need to do this or that doesn't realize the power of the human mind or themselves. I'm one of those that has quit everything that I put my mind to, stuff that people say, "Oh. Once you do that you're doomed." Poppycock.

And I smoked for 30 years. Smoked at least 30 cigarettes a day. No less but often more.

Anytime someone tells me they are going to "try" to do something I know they are full of it. You do or you don't but you don't "try."

Anyone that says "try" around me gets this action: I throw a pencil or similar object on the ground and then tell them to "try" to pick it up. Can't, can you? You either pick it up or you don't.

If you want to quit then you will. The money has nothing to do with it. If you are done, you are done.
^ This is so awesome. I love this attitude!

I did the same in October of 2010. Quit cold turkey. And haven't smoked since.

I know alot of people who are into the e-cigs, and all they're doing is trading one addiction for another. It's sad, really!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
^ This is so awesome. I love this attitude!

I did the same in October of 2010. Quit cold turkey. And haven't smoked since.

I know alot of people who are into the e-cigs, and all they're doing is trading one addiction for another. It's sad, really!
I have a cousin that did the e-cigs and it didn't work. Well, he's a cousin-in-law. Anyway, he has a lot of vices that he is getting too darn old for. Some are very, very bad. So he had a stroke or something like that. Just a warning sign but still. The doctor told him to stop smoking. Drinking and smoking crack is a great idea, too, but maybe the doc didn't know about that...

So he's a truck driver and immediately said, "Great. Now what am I going to do?" He went into it with a defeatist attitude. He knows about all of the things that I've quit in my lifetime but never, ever wants to talk to me. I'm too successful and that's not what he wants. So he finally demurred to the e-cigs. And of course he's back to smoking.

That doesn't mean that you can't use them for awhile - past the point where you won't kill someone. I once used nicotine gum and quit for about a year. That was a very long time ago. But I wasn't in the right frame of mind. I think it's easy for me to do whatever it takes now, because I value myself and consider myself to deserve better. That's really key. My cousin-in-law does not.

My soon-to-be-ex-husband once said, "Fine. I'll quit smoking. Call the doctor and get me that Chantix." I wouldn't do it. He's famous for making everything about me. I have to do this or that in order for him to be successful. My attitude was if he wanted it so much he wouldn't be asking me to call the doctor. Ridiculous. One of the many, many reasons he will soon be my ex.

Edit: I should be clear that I used the nicotine gum for two weeks. I was more than half my current age, though. Not smart enough to realize it's not a good idea to start smoking. I didn't have the self-esteem and cigarettes were a fraction of what they now cost.

Last edited by hiknapster; 01-04-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness