Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickers View Post
The trick to quitting smoking is simple, you have to really WANT to quit. You have to really want to quit, then it's easy.
I don't agree. And I didn't think it's easy for everyone. It depends on how addicted you are/were. I could never have quit permenantly (26 yrs ago) if I had thought "this is it." I just kept saying to myself, "one more day," "one more week," etc. If I'd thought back then that I could NEVER have had another cigarette, I would have jumped off a cliff. But by the time all those months went by, when I considered having "just one," I reminded myself how hard it was to go through the physical and emotional withdrawal again....and again....and again.

I grieved for a whole year. "I can't believe I have to go through New Year's without a cigarette." Same with whatever the next holiday, work crisis, wedding, birthday, whatever major event, etc. Do whatever it takes to psych yourself into it. For me it took a solid year not to want to run into a store and buy a pack, just to have "one." (Since, unlike others, I could never have one; I would have been back to my pack-a-day habit.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 12:09 PM

72 posts, read 251,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
^ This is so awesome. I love this attitude!

I did the same in October of 2010. Quit cold turkey. And haven't smoked since.

I know alot of people who are into the e-cigs, and all they're doing is trading one addiction for another. It's sad, really!
I tried the e-cig last time. Really, all it did was make me want to smoke a real cigarette. And yes... when do you decide to put those down?

As my cousin said "it's easy to quit when you're not drinking." So, after a week with not 1 cig... my new test is this weekend! I know I will pass - but having a beer or 3 with no cigarette is going to be a heavy mental challenge. Any advice from those who quit, but are drinkers to make it easier for me?

thanks again! still 100% smoke free and staying that way

Old 01-06-2012, 12:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Don't go to a bar that allows smoking!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:11 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times
the other thing I found VERY helpful was to "smoke" straws cut in half. the are the same feel as a smoke, you can inhale (air) and exhale. you can tap them like you do a smoke and even chew the end if need be. they give you the hand to mouth thing and as silly as it seemed they truly helped a lot. some men like to use a toothpick. I think there is always a reluctance to quit, even when you really want to. the trick to being successful is to use your entire set of tools to quit. from nicotine replacement, exercise, mentally changing your outlook and a some luck as well. just be determined and stubborn in your knowledge that you can do it, look forward and take it a day at a time. do what ever you have to do to not smoke.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Don't go to a bar that allows smoking!
ahh... one MAJOR plus about living in Chicago. not an option.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the other thing I found VERY helpful was to "smoke" straws cut in half. the are the same feel as a smoke, you can inhale (air) and exhale. you can tap them like you do a smoke and even chew the end if need be. they give you the hand to mouth thing and as silly as it seemed they truly helped a lot. some men like to use a toothpick. I think there is always a reluctance to quit, even when you really want to. the trick to being successful is to use your entire set of tools to quit. from nicotine replacement, exercise, mentally changing your outlook and a some luck as well. just be determined and stubborn in your knowledge that you can do it, look forward and take it a day at a time. do what ever you have to do to not smoke.
Thanks much. the nicotine gum is very helpful. the toothpick works exactly as you said. . . just have to bring the toolbox wherever i go!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
My drinking trailed way off when I quit smoking. I'm down to a handful of drinks a YEAR.

My husband's uncle died - of lung cancer, no less - about four months after I quit. True Irish, the after funeral party was held in a pub. Lots of people smoking and drinking. I was really sweating that. I sat with my SIL who smoked but also talked me through it. I had a couple of White Russians or something like that. I was fine. So it can be done. But I just don't drink like I use to. It makes me too darn nervous.

I just don't use any of those "tools" like gum, straws, e-cigs. I just tell myself I'm better than all of that, I don't need it. It just works for me. Besides, I'm too afraid that if you use something like that you open up an enormous can of worms. Everyone will start talking about your quitting. They could start teasing or just talking about cigarettes. That was something I didn't want to constantly do for the first several months. I'm a firm believer in removing yourself from a situation. I don't think people that quit using drugs should sit around talking about it all the time. Or drinking, smoking cigarettes. There are studies that show that doing something else, substituting a behavior, and putting the bad behavior behind you really works.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
My drinking trailed way off when I quit smoking. I'm down to a handful of drinks a YEAR.

My husband's uncle died - of lung cancer, no less - about four months after I quit. True Irish, the after funeral party was held in a pub. Lots of people smoking and drinking. I was really sweating that. I sat with my SIL who smoked but also talked me through it. I had a couple of White Russians or something like that. I was fine. So it can be done. But I just don't drink like I use to. It makes me too darn nervous.

I just don't use any of those "tools" like gum, straws, e-cigs. I just tell myself I'm better than all of that, I don't need it. It just works for me. Besides, I'm too afraid that if you use something like that you open up an enormous can of worms. Everyone will start talking about your quitting. They could start teasing or just talking about cigarettes. That was something I didn't want to constantly do for the first several months. I'm a firm believer in removing yourself from a situation. I don't think people that quit using drugs should sit around talking about it all the time. Or drinking, smoking cigarettes. There are studies that show that doing something else, substituting a behavior, and putting the bad behavior behind you really works.
Yeah, I agree. I come from an irish family as well... so there really is no avoiding drinkers unless I never speak to my family or friends again! But, I couldn't agree more about drinking making you nervous. Nervous that you will compromise your will, etc... say 'screw it' then regret it later. So... this weekend I did have a few beers on both friday and last night. I was around cigarette smokers - but it was easier than i thought. Like you said, I really make it a point to not think about this, not tell everyone "i've gone one week without smoking!" etc etc. To me, the more of a big deal that gets made of it > the more I think about it > the bigger chance there is of me submitting to those thoughts/urges. I would rather just act like I've always been a non-smoker. Much easier.

So, on that note... thanks for the insight.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
According to this study, nicotine patches and the gum aren't very effective.
Nicotine patches, nicotine gum don't really help smokers quit - latimes.com

Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
According to this study, nicotine patches and the gum aren't very effective.
Nicotine patches, nicotine gum don't really help smokers quit - latimes.com
That's where a smoking alternative needs to be put in place. For so many years we didn't know what was in a cigarette and we smoked them anyway. Do your research and check out the e-cig. You can start here E-Cigarette Forum

I've been smoke free since September 3, 2010. Doctors do not consider e-cigs to contain smoke and therefore you will be smoke free when using one. If they were really bad for you the FDA would have already banned them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness