Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:18 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I dont drink Diet Soda often(Gives me headaches).
Wont have another incident unless go without food for longer than normal.
Making some lifestyle changes that should help.
Might try the testing kit someone mentioned but i cant afford to see a doc..
No Insurance and still paying off Medical debt....
the going without food part should be your clue- your diet needs to be regulated...

however, only a dr. can determine how bad your situation is- you might need to take something for it, or you might have another condition making it worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Best to go to a doctor and ask the question. You can get a tolerance test at the doctor's...pretty easy stuff, just testing your blood a few times after skipping a meal and drinking a bottle of sugar water. Best to check now to know, if it is something you have more of a chance to do something to fix it then just ignoring it. Diet changes are always good, but waiting might give whatever is happening more time.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:39 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
Please see a doctor to make sure you are not diabetic.

Eat 3 meals per day with two smacks in betwn the meals. So every 3 hours you should be eating.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:37 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
It happens to me pretty frequently, as I get busy and don't always eat on time. I've been tested for diabetes a number of times because it's so prevalent in my family. Nothing shows up.
What the doctor did tell me to do when I get the shakes.irritable and can't think straight; is keep peanut butter on hand, drink orange juice and if neither are handy-grab a soft drink or hard candy.
I carry peanut butter with me at all times. Also I keep peppermints in my purse.
The doctor also told me to eat small frequent meals throughout the day instead of the typical 3 meals a day.
I bought a meter and tested my levels for a couple of years but found that it didn't really solve the issue. To prevent the incidents I simply do what I mentioned above.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:39 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
Get the 5 hour blood glucose test done. I had it done when I was in my twenties. The doc gives you very sweet stuff to drink once and hour. You have to pack a lunch. Mine was from 7am to 12 noon.
It turned out I tested positive for borderline diabetic/hypoglycemic. Whenever I skip a meal or wait to long to eat something I get shaky and light headed. I have not checked my sugar in years when I get like that but in the past I would go as low as 48. I always carry a candy bar in my purse. You sound like you may have a sugar problem. I would get it checked out. Mine was called latent diabetic. Alot of women get this after childbearing. It is a hormonal out of whack thing.

Last edited by Blondie621; 05-03-2009 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 05:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
This has happened to me a few times.
Havent eaten in a while and start getting the shakes,really irritable..
Hands were actually shaking.
Something like that wouldnt happen to me when i was younger.
Should i be concerned with Diabetes in the not too distance future?
Im 33, and not in the best shape of my life.
Hypoglycemia should also be a concern. I have 2 aunts with it (diagnosed by a doc). They can't eat any sugar. My mom and I both have the symptoms you describe, but control it by knowing what triggers it and always carrying a snack. We have not been officially diagnosed with it.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:17 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,287 times
Raw For 30 Days

I just got this info from the ADA. It may be helpful to you.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
This has happened to me a few times.
Havent eaten in a while and start getting the shakes,really irritable..
Hands were actually shaking.
Something like that wouldnt happen to me when i was younger.
Should i be concerned with Diabetes in the not too distance future?
Im 33, and not in the best shape of my life.
Go to a doctor and have a check up. Here is a free offer for a glucose meter. Good luck.

One Touch Ultra Mini

Old 05-03-2009, 08:32 PM

298 posts, read 1,010,246 times
Are you overweight?

I used to suffer more from blood sugar drops when I was carrying more weight.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:07 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Here is a free offer for a glucose meter.
One Touch Ultra Mini
One Touch test strips cost around $1.00 EACH . . the Wal-Mart ReliOn test strips cost around 1/2 of that. Most glucose meters require their own brand of test strips . . others are NOT compatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness