Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 01:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times

Advertisements

We have a long drive ahead of us this month. My 17 yr old wants to take one of the SUV's, as he claims he gets carsick in my VW CC Turbo. I would much rather take the VW, since it gets much better gas mileage.

Any opinions on which of the motion sickness products work best? Is the "less drowsy" formula for Dramamine as effective as the regular type?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 01:39 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Dramamine is what I have used works great

Old 06-14-2009, 01:52 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,800 times
I've used both Dramamine and Bonine, and I found they results were about the same- they worked okay. On a long straigh road they would probably help, but if you are going to be on lots of curves, maybe, maybe not.

Are these other ways you could work around this, like let you 17-year-old sit up front? (I don't know if there are other people coming . . .) I feel bad for you 17 year old because I get carsick easily, too. But for me, some of that can be fixed in any car by sitting up front or making sure the car is really well ventilated with windows down or (espsecially in summer) very good air conditioning. Also, the way a car is driven can increase/decrease motion sickness dramatically. I always get sick when I am in the car with people who break and accelerate very quickly, so any change in speed is a punch the accelorator or slam of the break. It can make everyone so much worse. On roads that are windy or hilly, this kind of driver is just torture. Could it be that you drive differently when you drive the smaller car?

Old 06-14-2009, 02:37 PM

My son actually got sick while sitting in the front seat, unfortunately. We are driving from GA to NJ, so avoiding hills is pretty tough.

I wonder if the wrist bands plus either Bonine or Dramamine might work?

Old 06-14-2009, 02:40 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,634,850 times
Ginger works really well and has no side effects.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:50 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My son actually got sick while sitting in the front seat, unfortunately. We are driving from GA to NJ, so avoiding hills is pretty tough.
Yowza! Poor kid. You might try a combo. I don't think it is going to hurt him. And you might try more natural remedies as well. tilli mentioned ginger, which works very well for my boyfriend. I find peppermint works very well for me. I had a very good little peppermint gel once that I rubbed on my temples that really cut the nasuea.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,854 times
I will have to say that I've not had any motion sickness from riding in a car, but have from being in a boat going offshore. I've used the Dramamine patch and the Bonine tablet, neither of which made me drowsy. I perfer the Bonine over the dramamine, because for me it was easier. The Bonine comes flavored (raspberry), so there is no bad taste and have not had any side effects while taking it. It has worked well during the offshore fishing trips as we go out up to 100 miles. And let me tell you that being bounched around for 4-6 hours in an ocean that has (at times) 10-12 foot waves ain't much fun. Especially, if your sick ... but the Bonine has always come through for me.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 PM

That's good to know BoydS, as we have some pretty funny pictures of this boy on a deep sea fishing trip. You never saw a more miserable face!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,061 times
Bonine doesn't make me as sleepy as Dramamine, but I really agree with tilli, ginger is great! Try ginger Altoids - that is what the Myth Buster guys tested and found that it worked well. We used/ate them on a whale watching boat ride and they worked great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness