Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,407 times

Advertisements

What do any of you do to get rid of a bad headache?

I've had the same migraine for 9 days now and it won't go away. I've taken Excedrin, used an ice bag, drank cold beverages, eaten ice cream (sometimes it helps) ... but NOTHING has worked.

I don't drink, so please don't suggest alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Are you in an area where a big storm is heading your way? We were (hurricane off the coast of VA) and it made us all feel pretty miserable - for me it was sinuses and for my spouse it was a killer migraine that wouldn't go away. Once the storm passed, we were feeling better.

Some people use Maxalt to address the migraines and that seems to help. Others focus on the sinuses and take guafinasin (mucinex), drink lots of liquids (non-dehydrating), take steam showers, or do a sinus rinse (gross, but popular in other parts of the world).

I got to wonder if air pollution plays a role. I'm thinking we were in quite a hot spell in Northern Virginia and that causes the air quality to go to code red. Once the hurricane passed by, we were in cooler temps and perhaps the colder air pushed the smog out of the way.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
What do any of you do to get rid of a bad headache?

I've had the same migraine for 9 days now and it won't go away. I've taken Excedrin, used an ice bag, drank cold beverages, eaten ice cream (sometimes it helps) ... but NOTHING has worked.

I don't drink, so please don't suggest alcohol.
Ow, I'm cringing in sympathy.

What usually works for my migraines (and this is really weird to me) is a regular Coke and some sort of fast food. Usually a cheeseburger & fries from McDonald's, but hoagies work, too.

This is what kicked the last migraine I had, which was brought on by 30 minutes in an MRI machine. It was so bad, I very nearly vomited several times on the 2 mile drive home.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
A doctor can prescribe Immitrex or one of the newer anti-migraine meds. I use Feverfew, an herbal compound available at groceries. I like the HerbPharm brand, a liquid. It's foul tasting and it goes in water, juice, coke but NOT milk. You can take it up to 5 times a day. I've never needed more than 3 doses.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:05 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Rather than suggest alcohol, i'm gonna suggest a trip to the ER. A migraine shouldn't last 9 days. It's possible that you have an underlying infection, perhaps sinus.

I've had migraines for years. I thought that a 7 day headache was just a headache a few years ago as I had no other symptoms. Turns out I had a massive infection that took IV antibiotics to control it.

Better to be safe rather than sorry. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,571 times
I have heard drinking a 64 oz. bottle of Gatorade really helps. You might also try some nasal spray and/or an antihistamine/decongestant. You could try a professional massage or chiropractic treatment. If it doesn't go away within another day or two though, or if it goes away or eases up with the sinus meds and then comes back, you need to see your doctor (that could indicate a sinus infection and it won't get better without antibiotics). Hope you feel better soon!

Nancy

Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM

Thanks everyone. Yeah, we have some storms moving in and I suffer from barometric pressure related migraines.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times
I discovered my chronic headaches were due to allergies. Now I take a daily 24hr Claritin-d. If I forget even one night, I get that headache back.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 PM

Some of it may be caused from foods that I've eaten.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
{geek} ~

A new onset severe headache needs to be evaluated by a doctor. Unfortunately, there can be some serious conditions that present with headache as a symptom.

If those are ruled out and the diagnosis is truly migraine, there are effective medications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness