Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 07:50 AM

7 posts, read 43,128 times

Advertisements

AN UPDATE.....
Well I went for my 6 weeks Post Opp & and 6 weeks since I broke my Fib/Tib rollerskating.(15 screws and a plate later) The Doc said it is healing nice. Tod me to start putting Weight on my leg 25% this week and than add 25% each week, 50%-75%- 100%..so I am looking at about 4 week out to getting off this crutches...YEAAAAA..I'm so happy , after reading all the post on here I thought my Doc was going to say 6 more weeks NWB...He said if it starts to hurt to bad back off on how much weight I put on it....Will keep you informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 PM

16 posts, read 91,647 times
I had my six weeks check-up with the OS yesterday. I couldn't believe that he said to go ahead and start putting weight on my foot. I am allowed 30% WB. My first few steps were baby steps, but now I am "walking" around a lot better with the help of my crutches. Unfortunately, I was not told to continue to add weight but I am thrilled. It is truly amazing how that little bit of freedom makes you feel so good. I realize now that the hard work and persistence at PT is totally worth it.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:38 PM

51 posts, read 230,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele53 View Post
It has been 11 months since I broke my tib/fib w/compound fracture right above ankle bone about 2 inches. Bones are FINALLY healed - Ankle is still pretty stiff so this coming Tuesday, I'm having the 2 plates and 15 screws taken out to see if that helps this pain and limp! I hope to someday walk normally like I used to instead of thinking about EVERY step I take! I still don't go DOWN stairs normally (both feet meet on each step) but I can go up normally but I have to hold the hand rail. I am anxious to get on with life and hope this surgery works (and that I don't get blood clots AGAIN -- scariest part). Wish all of you the best in your "journey"
Michelle - best of luck with the surgery to remove the hardware. Hopefully you won't be off your feet for hardly any time at all this time. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Diana

Old 03-02-2010, 06:31 PM

4 posts, read 22,882 times
Hello again! Well, I finally saw another surgeon about the foot not being straight after my surgery. He told me that, indeed, the foot is rotated and I will require them to perform another surgery and break both bones to reset it properly. Will this ever end?

The second surgeon was fantastic!! I feel like I gained more information with one visit to him than with 10+ with the first surgeon. He patiently went through each of my x-rays and explained everything to me. When I told him I was concerned about the foot not being straight since the surgery, he immediately did tests and confirmed my conclusion.

I guess what I wanted to say to everyone is that if you are not getting answers or feel like the answers you are given are not explanatory enough, don't be afraid to ask for clarification, or for a second opinion if need be. I hate that it ended up this way, but I feel relieved that I am finally getting answers.

This will be a long journey for me... but good luck to all of you with your journeys!

Oh, and one more question.... Remove the hardware, or leave it in... your thoughts?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,527 times
i slipped on ice feb20,2010 and broke both my tibia and fibular had surgery doc put a rod down the center and left the fibular to heal on its own,sent me home with a soft cast just some kind of cotton and ace bands so when do the bandages come off my skin has healed oh and i have lots of stapels

Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 AM

16 posts, read 91,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppin-n-dc View Post
i slipped on ice feb20,2010 and broke both my tibia and fibular had surgery doc put a rod down the center and left the fibular to heal on its own,sent me home with a soft cast just some kind of cotton and ace bands so when do the bandages come off my skin has healed oh and i have lots of stapels
After surgery I was sent home with the bandages and a soft cast. When I had the staples removed, about two weeks after surgery, he gave me a knee brace (even though I broke my tib/fib in 5 spots) and said let your leg move. I rarely wear the brace anymore (it's been 6 1/2 weeks). As for the skin healing, my scar is finally looking much better and smaller. I am sure it depends on your body, but it took about 4 weeks for my leg to heal up, meanings no more scabs. PT really helps and my physical therapist showed me how to "work" the scar to loosen the tissue and anyone who sees my leg can't believe how good my scar looks- the OS was even impressed. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,524 times
Default How Long?

Hi my sis and bro's of fib and tib breaks. I too, had 3 breaks and detached heel 2/2/09, falling on black ice. I wore the ext fix for 21 days prior to repair surgery resulting in int. fix. of 2 plates, 13 screws.
You all know our long recovery living with daily pain and to include physical therapy adding off the chart pain.
I was lucky midways to become allergic to our addictive pain medications and now can only take tylenol extra strength as needed.
It's been over a year, I still have pain in every step, short walks or shopping I walk/limp along; longer walking I must use either my cane or pushed in a wheelchair.
At 52 years young, Feb '10 I retired to dedicate myself to improve beyond [doctor's] statement of "maxmium improvement".
I hope you all have been blessed with a great improvement.
Please tell me, how many years it took until you to felt, "this is it"?

Inprayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBonz View Post
Hey everyone. Great forum here with lots of great information.

On June 5th of this year I broke my left tib just above my ankle and my fib in two separate places. Dirt bikes are a wonderful hobby. I had surgery within 2 days of the accident. I have one plate with 9 screws on the tib and another plate on the ankle/fib with 7 more screws. The upper fib break was left untreated. At this point (11 wks in), I am on crutches with a removable boot. No pain and no complications to this point. Knock on wood.

During my last visit 2 wks ago to my OS, I was given the OK to weight bare up to 30 lbs for the next 7 wks at which point I will no longer require the boot. From there I would progress to full weight.

However, during the same trip to the hospital, I also met with a PT. I was told that I could weight bare up to the point where there was discomfort. Basically she told me to let my body be the guide of how much weight I could support. This seems to make more sense to me.

So, my questions is this: Who's advice would you recommend I follow? For me, 30 lbs seems like a waste of time when I think that I could be doing much more and in turn speeding up the process instead.

What do you think?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:14 PM

51 posts, read 230,206 times
I'm a little over 5 months out from my injury and surgery. Daily pain - yes. Tolerable with extra strength tylenol and worse when I get up in the morning or have been sitting for a while. Swelling has finally gone down. I'm still trying to decide if I want to have another surgery to remove the hardware but if it might make any difference in the pain I'll be considering it just to get back to "normal." I've got at least 3 more months before my OS will do anything so time to think about it yet. I can walk on the treadmill for as long as I want and don't seem to have any problems walking anywhere I want to go other than really slow on the stairs still. Can't move at my old walking pace yet but I'm not walking really slowly anymore either. Won't be running any marathons in the near future I don't think.

Speedy recovery everyone.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 AM

76 posts, read 415,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankletwister View Post
Michelle - best of luck with the surgery to remove the hardware. Hopefully you won't be off your feet for hardly any time at all this time. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Diana
Thanks Diana. Had surgery 3 days ago and all good so far. See OS today to change bandage/wrap. Can walk with weight but I think stitches hurt or it is the cuts that hurt (?) - taking pain med. Regardless, so far I think I can tell that my ankle pain may be gone -- there was a screw that was in front of foot at ankle that went to back of foot and extended on each side out of bone and I think that was causing the pain! Will update in another week or so to see how walking is once I get stitches out and bandage off -- I must say only issue was not getting clear instructions on bloodclot meds -- I had to make a lot of phone calls between Cardio Pulmonologist and OS and they never did make contact -- (men doctors!!)

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 AM

76 posts, read 415,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneleghopper View Post
I fell Sept and surgery Oct. and still recuperating. (7 screws and plate left tibia) My doctor had me NWB for 12 weeks after the surgery to insure that the bones were healed. From my experiences and almost going into my 5th month it will be a few more months till I am fine. I was using / hopping with a walker 4 months. Started as an out patient Jan. 20 for PT and on the 3rd week was trained how to use cane. I still have difficulty since my leg feels tight and cannot bend 90 yet... Most folks who have suffered such an injury say that it takes a long long time for 100% healing. Once again everyone is different. As for me, I wanted to rush this process, but no way. You have to be patient and follow doctors directives. Yes, almost entering 5th month and it seems like an eternity. As time goes on you will be more independent and that makes a huge difference. I am now able to bath, go up/down stairs and I even drove myself to the doctors today. That is a milestone !!!
Am 53, healthy, non-smoker, broke tib/fib compound fracture - had ext. fix, then 2 plates 15 screws. Used Stimulator 8-10hrs day. Was NWB 5 months (too long compared to most but bone was healing way too slow). Now at 11 months and 3 days ago had hardware removed as too much pain in ankle area. I suspect my ROM will never be 100% but we will see where I am in a few weeks after a bit of recovery from this week's surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness