Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 AM

18 posts, read 47,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
These stereotypes are incredibly overplayed and idiotic.
It's not a stereotype. Click on the link below to see a heat map of obesity rankings in the US.

http://calorielab.com/news/2008/07/0...t-states-2008/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenpartygirl View Post
It's not a stereotype. Click on the link below to see a heat map of obesity rankings in the US.

http://calorielab.com/news/2008/07/0...t-states-2008/
According to that link 59% of the people in California are obese or overweight vs. 64.6% for North Carolina. Colorado is at #1 with "only" 55.7% in that category. None of this is anything to be proud of!

Oh and the numbers are from 2007 - I'm sure it's only gotten worse in the past two years!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:00 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
These stereotypes are incredibly overplayed and idiotic.
Cardiologists and, well, the data disagree: Stroke Statistics | Internet Stroke Center

Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 AM

156 posts, read 423,714 times
I believe you are underweight so NO we don't need you to diet. You could be an example with your healthy lifestyle if you have one. Although I have known some friends over the years who were able to eat anything and not become overweight. One did end up having a triple bypass because the cholesterol got to him and now eats healthier and exercises. I am short and have struggled with weight most of my life. I have just started exercising and watching more what I eat but will not actually be living in the Raleigh area for another year yet. Maybe by that time, I will be ready to join you as a good example. I have the ultimate incentive now as I am a new grandmother to triplets and definitely need more energy and stamina! LOL!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 AM

335 posts, read 800,880 times
There are overweight people in CA. They live in the northern part of the state, where the sweaters help hide the bulk.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:52 AM

156 posts, read 423,714 times
i'm 6'0" and 155 pounds. but i'm only one person! i can try to diet if that would help

Sorry if I confused anyone...I was replying secifically to GucciLittlePiggie comment above.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
^I'm right there with ya. I eat what I want when I want and in great shape. I'd rather enjoy my food and know what I'm going to die of instead of these health nuts who are just going to die for no reason.
But to answer the o.p.'s question, yes there are a lot of fat people here. Just watch people drive down the road. I frequently see a fat body trying to drive while cramming some McDonald's down their throat.
I am sorry, but you and ApexIntruder don't get it. You are probably walking time bombs for a stroke/heart attack/etc. Just b/c you are thin does NOT mean you are in good shape. Only on the outside may it appear that way, but oh boy, how you are deteriorating your blood vessels/organs/blood over time. Eating well is essential to living long, not just to maintain weight, but to keep your "pipes" staying unclogged and being healthy on the inside. You are the type of people that drop dead of a heart attack and everyone wonders "but they weren't overweight". Well you now know the reason why. Plus, not just diet-related, you must get weight-bearing physical exercise (atleast 30/40 min a day) for 4-5 days a week. Its essential. And yes, I am a doctor, so I am not just shooting off at the hip.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:32 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
The answer is "Yes". Not everyone but apparently 2/3 of the US is overweight with 1/3 of US being obese. It's called excess and we have it in spades.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 AM

47 posts, read 129,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
^I'm right there with ya. I eat what I want when I want and in great shape. I'd rather enjoy my food and know what I'm going to die of instead of these health nuts who are just going to die for no reason.
But to answer the o.p.'s question, yes there are a lot of fat people here. Just watch people drive down the road. I frequently see a fat body trying to drive while cramming some McDonald's down their throat.
Skinny =/= Healthy. I could eat Bojangles and Pizza Hut everyday and not gain any weight due to my extremely high metabolism, But my HDL and glucose levels would be off the charts. You could work out at the gym every other day and have a rock-hard physique, but if you don't subscribe to a healthy diet It's going to catch up with you. There's plenty of healthy foods out that that taste great, you just have to know to to prepare them! You are spot on with the alarmingly large number of people stuffing their faces while driving, sitting at Mc'd's, etc.... But for a vast majority, America has turned into a culture of convience. People would rather stop in the drive through and plop down in front of the T.V. instead of spending time in the kitchen.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
I think the winters makes people hibernate and eat crap without much movement outdoors and it shows!
LOL... That's what my friends from FL say about Raleigh! Hence the whole "talent" debate when comparing the Triangle to other regions..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness