Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:18 PM

745 posts, read 1,437,992 times

Advertisements

Below is a quote from a WSJ Op Ed written by the CEO of Whole Foods. I think it is great and wanted to share....

I am not necessarily a healthy eater... but this quote lit a fire under me to start eating better and to limit the amount of processed foods.

"Unfortunately many of our health-care problems are self-inflicted: two-thirds of Americans are now overweight and one-third are obese. Most of the diseases that kill us and account for about 70% of all health-care spending—heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes and obesity—are mostly preventable through proper diet, exercise, not smoking, minimal alcohol consumption and other healthy lifestyle choices.

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-01-2009 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 06:02 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,050 times
I believe the statistics above. This country is in poor shape for the most part. More desk jobs than ever, more fast-food places than ever, more stress so people smoke and drink too much. Good for you, kemcnyc. Now just stick to it and you'll be happy you did.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,654 times
Great thread!!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Seeing the person who was interviewed has a profit motive, I'm not particularly impressed with that recitation of the information. However, I'm also very aware of the way foods impact the body, and in general agree with the concept.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 PM

350 posts, read 4,158,162 times
I also agree that diet is of paramount importance in health. However, I also believe genetics plays a role that sometimes trumps even the healthiest eater's good intentions. I personally have been having a health issue in which diet is implicated as a major factor, and I have done everything suggested in terms of diet to counteract the problem yet it is still occurring, and so I believe in this case genetics are a major factor.

I don't understand why more people aren't interested in eating healthy and making positive lifestyle changes to lessen their chances of becoming diseased. Certain of my family members have a very unhealthy diet/lifestyle, and I have spoken with them about this repeatedly and they are uninterested in making any changes. They can't give up their poor eating habits. I don't understand this kind of thinking. You are what you eat. Why would you want to be potato chips and french fries when you can be fresh vegetables and fruits?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:07 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,969 times
i really honestly do try to eat healthy, and exercise, but sometimes there's just not enough time in the day to do everything that's expected of you, cook a healthy meal, go exercise, keep your house clean, and, oh i don't know, sleep.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,992 times
Half of quote from the WSJ article was removed from my thread? Hmmmnn... not sure why. Oh well, I think the remaining half still makes the point.

Agreed! I think a lot of us Americans have grown up eating processed junk. I think we have to completely re-learn how to EAT !!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:22 AM

466 posts, read 928,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Half of quote from the WSJ article was removed from my thread? Hmmmnn... not sure why. Oh well, I think the remaining half still makes the point.
could you post a link so we can read the part that was censored ?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 AM

7,119 posts, read 12,659,449 times
This is not new news, but it's good to be reminded...Hippocrates, considered the Father of Modern Medicine (ca. 460 BC – ca. 370 BC) said,

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food."

Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,404 times
Do you think some people genetically want to eat crap and smoke? I wonder because I see my husband's family is in rough shape (mother dead) but they snack tons so they are overweight they all smoked or smoke. My entire family doesn't smoke and most of us care about what we eat and are all pretty healthy and good body weights. So were they brought up to eat crap or is there something in there genetic makeup that makes for them to treat their bodies poorly. They are all under 60 but not going to make it much longer Diabetic because of being overweight but still they snack and refuse to excercise for 30 seconds a day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness