Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
How does the 1000 mg of Vitamin D help you~?
Vitamin D helps alot of areas in the body... too many to list. Do a Google search of "vitamin D benefits" and look around. I do not get any sunlight some days because of a changing schedule, so I think that is why I was low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 PM

106 posts, read 287,561 times
Quote:
I'm curious to what caused you all to find out you had hypothyroidism~? What symptoms do you all have~? Is it heredity~? Can it be cured thru being vegetarian, or could that have caused it~?
These are great questions that are intelligent to ask. Sure genetics plays a role. And yes Hypothyroidism is an auto-immune condition, especially in the case of Hashimoto's, which is becoming more and more common. That's why I like the questions veggienut poses here. It's a healthy thing to ask oneself... "Why is this becoming so prevalent?" I think the answer lies within a complicated web of factors. Sounds pretty vague and worthless to say that, but at least it's accurate.

Some people believe that Hashimoto's is always accompanied by intake of gluten proteins (grains like wheat). I suppose one way to disprove that is present someone who developed Hashimoto's while consuming zero gluten beforehand. It would be interesting to come upon that. "Can it be cured thru being a vegetarian?" Highly unlikely. (or another way to say that would be... no). The bottom line is that almost all thyroid issues are deeply connected to Leptin Sensitivity. Being Leptin Resistant has profound impacts on thyroid health (and usually weight gain is accompanied by it). Some have completely reversed/corrected their thyroid function by regaining Leptin Sensitivity again. As many of us know.. that's a tricky endeavor but it can be done.

Quote:
Also, does "selenium" help~?
Selenium most likely would help, especially with Hashimoto's because selenium can help with the conversion of T4 to T3, which is a common symptom. Iodine is a major red flag risk with Hashimoto's. It could actually exacerbate the issue. No doubt that many report better thyroid health with Iodine supplementation, but since Hashimoto's is a special condition, it is recommended that you do not supplement Iodine.

Regarding Levothyroxine, one of the biggest shortcomings is that all it does is address T4. Doctors are very reluctant to prescribe T3 because they fear the remote possibility of atrial fibrillation. But that's more of a farse and people who supp T3 in addition to T4 have the right idea. Sure T4 will bring down TSH, which is what the docs wanna see, but using something like Armour (mentioned throught this thread) is basically dessicated thyroid, which contains the more appropriate ratio of T3/T4.

Poor thyroid health is a super tricky dilemma, and the fact that Docs are taught to simply supp T4 to bring TSH into normal range without addressing T3 means the patient is doomed to being stuck with a throid that will never improve and may even get worse.

Personally, I believe that if there is any chance to save the thyroid and "repair it" by natural means, then it is the wisest choice to walk down that path first to see where it leads you. Do this first before tinkering around with your body's hormonal system because once you get in there and start switchin things up, you may not ever be able to pull out.

-JK

Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Jack Kronk: Great post. It's bad enough that thyroid conditions are so seldom diagnosed properly but the medical community's ignorance about T3 and T4 thyroid is horrifying.

I take both and have for quite awhile. The other day, after I had to switch insurances, I found out that my T3 is not covered by my drug plan (the T4 is). When I complained about it the pharmacist replied, "They don't cover it because so few people take it. In fact, I don't know why you're taking it. You probably don't even need it if you are taking T4." Seriously??? I normally have the greatest respect for the pharmacists (I used to work for the American Pharmaceutical Association's national headquarters), but that comment was beyond out of line. How does he think I got the prescription if a physician didn't test me? But even then, I had to ASK to be tested for T3. Even when the doctor agreed my T4 level was dangerously out of whack there was no automatic test advised for the T3. I had to insist.

Re: Vitamin D. It's recently come to the attention of the medical community that it's extremely common for people suffering from thyroid imbalance -- as well as clinical depression -- to have dangerously low levels of D. I have advised everyone I know who takes thyroid supplements to get their D levels check and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM came away with a prescription for a 50,000 IU vitamin D pill to be taken once a week. Usually the level normalizes after about three months of weekly doses and then you should take a minimum supplement of 2,000 IUs daily after that.

I live in Southern Arizona and I find it hard to believe that someone who gets as much sunshine as I do could have low levels of Vitamin D. But the tests don't lie. Apparently all that sunblock we're using, and all the hours we spend working indoors, inhibit the natural production of D, which causes lots of problems.

For all of you with any kind of thyroid issue (hypo, hyper, Hashimoto's, thyroid cancer, etc.), I highly recommend the work of author Mary Shomon, a well-respected medical writer who describes herself as a thyroid patient advocate. Her books on the topic are excellent, as well as the thyroid patient forum she runs for about.com:
Thyroid Disease Information - Hypothyroidism - Hyperthyroidism - Thyroid Cancer - Autoimmune Disease - Hashimoto's - Graves' - Goiter - Nodules

Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,739 times
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a few years ago. Right now, I am not taking anything for it and it sucks. I am waiting for an appointment with a doctor at GW in DC but that will not be until December 23....crazy wait times...but I don't have a lot of options left. No one seems to be able to figure me out. I have taken synthroid and levothyroxine with really bad side effects. I was on Armour for a little while before they changed it but can't get a doctor to prescribe it again. I don't convert T4 and T3 correctly but I can't get a doctor in my plan to address it. I had one decent doctor but I couldn't afford to keep going as they were out of plan.

I am 36 years old and exercise almost every day. I was 5'10 and weighed 135 pounds...now I weigh close to 185. I still exercise and am super strong underneath the body of fat you see on the outside (which isn't bad - but bad for me since I was always fit). I hate this disease!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:53 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times
I appreciate the info you have given and I have some other questions for ya all. Pretty much everything has soy in it and most of what I eat is soy since I am a vegetarian. So what foods do you all eat~? Someone mentioned on one of these "hypothyroid topics" about "sunshine burgers". Do you all eat them~? Do any of you all have more than one health condition that you have to watch what you eat for both conditions~? Thanks for the info.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:40 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a few years ago. Right now, I am not taking anything for it and it sucks. I am waiting for an appointment with a doctor at GW in DC but that will not be until December 23....crazy wait times...but I don't have a lot of options left. No one seems to be able to figure me out. I have taken synthroid and levothyroxine with really bad side effects. I was on Armour for a little while before they changed it but can't get a doctor to prescribe it again. I don't convert T4 and T3 correctly but I can't get a doctor in my plan to address it. I had one decent doctor but I couldn't afford to keep going as they were out of plan.

I am 36 years old and exercise almost every day. I was 5'10 and weighed 135 pounds...now I weigh close to 185. I still exercise and am super strong underneath the body of fat you see on the outside (which isn't bad - but bad for me since I was always fit). I hate this disease!
I understand most doctors don't want to bother with Armour because it's harder to manage its consistency - it can vary in from batch to batch and therefore takes closer watching. It's easier for them to prescribe the synthetics. See if you can find a doctor who will work with you - such as an osteopath who may understand it better, or an edocrinologist. It's worth the effort. I don't know how large your medical community is, so that may pose a limitation. I not only found an osteopath who was willing to prescribe it at a time when it was in very short supply (for reasons unknown to me), but found a pharmacist who was willing to compound it for me should there be a shortage in the future.

I wish you success in your efforts.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:48 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post

I also have Hashimotos, dont convert, also have pernicious anemia (B-12 deficiency)

First cut your carbs. At least my body does not process carbs like it use to and I gain weight easily eating them if I am not careful. Eats lots of protein rich foods. Cottage cheese, yogurt, salads, etc. Limit cabbage family foods as they mess with thyroid meds.
Curious what type of reaction you had with synthroid and levothyroxine.
I take cytomel to take care of the t4/t3 conversion problem.
Get checked for Pernicious anemia at the next visit. And I think it is a shame that dr's wont listen to their patients and educate themselves in something becoming so normal in younger people. Good Luck

Old 10-22-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
First cut your carbs. At least my body does not process carbs like it use to and I gain weight easily eating them if I am not careful. Eats lots of protein rich foods. Cottage cheese, yogurt, salads, etc. Limit cabbage family foods as they mess with thyroid meds.

One website I found it said to avoid eating broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Another one said it was okay to eat if they are cooked. Does that make a difference to eat those veggies if they cooked~? What about coffee~? Do you or anyone drink decaf now or have cut it out altogether~? Why is coffee so bad to drink if you have this condition of hypothyroidism~?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
One website I found it said to avoid eating broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Another one said it was okay to eat if they are cooked. Does that make a difference to eat those veggies if they cooked~? What about coffee~? Do you or anyone drink decaf now or have cut it out altogether~? Why is coffee so bad to drink if you have this condition of hypothyroidism~?

I'm bumping this thread up. I found a website that says if you cook those veggies that they say your not suppose to eat, it will be okay. Read this website:

Hypothyroidism diet, goitrogens, protein, salt, iodine, thyroid treatment, naturopathic doctor New York

Old 11-02-2011, 05:16 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I also have Hashimotos, dont convert, also have pernicious anemia (B-12 deficiency)

Curious what type of reaction you had with synthroid and levothyroxine.
I take cytomel to take care of the t4/t3 conversion problem.
Get checked for Pernicious anemia at the next visit. And I think it is a shame that dr's wont listen to their patients and educate themselves in something becoming so normal in younger people. Good Luck
The reaction with synthroid and levothyroxine was EXTREME fatigue, mood swings, achy bones, and swollen joints (even my finger knuckles).

It seems that I can eat very little, or eat as much as I want and it doesn't make a difference in weight (or at least it's very slight).

Southward Bound - the only decent doctor I had was out of pocket and I simply cannot afford those costs at this time. DH had a heart attack and quad bypass and so our lives have changed a lot. I've been to endocrinologists who when asked how I was feeling when I would say still very tired, achy, etc....they would look only at my TSH level and say - well, you're in the normal range so that must be something else going on. You might want to see the primary care physician. I go to the primary care physician and he says - hmmm, if the endo said you're fine and your numbers are good then I think you'll be ok and get more sleep. Sigh.... I went to a recommended Internal Medicine guy and he told me that my thyroid didn't even have anything to do with anything and that I am just aging (I'm 36 now so I was younger than) and that I can't stop the process no matter what....

OMG - I get so frustrated...so, so frustrated beyond belief. My whole life is passing me by with this thing going untreated. It sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness