Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:28 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I'm getting my hands on a ozone generator so I can drink ozonated water; you can buy them at aquarium supply stores.
Ozone is poisonous, silly. You should not encourage the use of this equipment by unskilled people. The possibility of a toxic reaction is not trivial. It is not intended for human consumption. The ozone is used to purify the water, not to perform alchemical experiments on your body.
"fish swim in it"

Old 09-29-2009, 06:32 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I agree with eating well, etc. but where is it PROVEN that Vitamin D can prevent and treat the flu?<>
My doctor has me taking 2000 iu/day of D, but there is no mention of any effectiveness related to flu, just good health. Everyone should take D, prefereably with K2 so it is actually taken up by the body. The Isotonix form is best, of course.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:58 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
So you say....

Feel free to provide even one or two reputable ones....

The previous one you listed was written by a housewife with no scientific or medical background.
I already have

The vitamin D council has plenty of accurate sources from all over the world and an array of experts.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I agree with eating well, etc. but where is it PROVEN that Vitamin D can prevent and treat the flu? I believe if that was the case, we'd be hearing more about it. I know from other threads that you are seriously anti-vaccine but please don't make things up.
There is no proof that vitamin D prevents and treats the flu, but it certainly strengthen the immune system.

The key for flu or any diseases is prevention, prevention, prevention.

Let's see...

In terms of supplements:

1.Probiotics - extremely important. If you have a healthy bacteria in your body, you are much more likely to be able to protect your organism and fight off any infection. For those who say that it's not important are just in denial.

2.Greens, greens, greens!!!! I can't say it enough. There is nothing that prevents any disease better then green superfoods. Micro algaes, such as spirulina, cracked cell chlorella, wheatgrass, barley, kamut.

2.Cod Liver Oil - especially during winter months when most don't get enough sunshine and vitamin D.

4.Acerola or Amla berry - has the most naturally occuring vitamin C then any other fruit or berry. Orange doesn't even come close.

Wash your hands a lot. Drink a lot of clean purified water.

Also, for your kids, during summer, make sure your kid plays in the dirt, gets dirty, swims in the ocean, and exposed to as much outside activity as he/she can. Building the immune system has a lot to do with not shying away from germs.

I'm sure I can think of more, that's all for now.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:50 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
miasmommy wrote:
I'm eliminating sugar from our diets.

We are taking extra hand washing measures.

We are going to limit public transportation/travel and stores/malls, doctor's offices/hospitals

We are taking Vitamin D supplements which are proven to prevent and treat the flu.

We are taking probiotics

We are eating plenty of vegetables and drinking plenty of clean distilled and filtered water.

We are going to get plenty of sleep/rest.

We are staying away from OTC drugs, prescription drugs/antibiotics, and any and all vaccines.
If I was president of the US, you would be my choice for secretary of health and wellness.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:26 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,281,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
There is no proof that vitamin D prevents and treats the flu, but it certainly strengthen the immune system.

The key for flu or any diseases is prevention, prevention, prevention.

Let's see...

In terms of supplements:

1.Probiotics - extremely important. If you have a healthy bacteria in your body, you are much more likely to be able to protect your organism and fight off any infection. For those who say that it's not important are just in denial.

2.Greens, greens, greens!!!! I can't say it enough. There is nothing that prevents any disease better then green superfoods. Micro algaes, such as spirulina, cracked cell chlorella, wheatgrass, barley, kamut.

2.Cod Liver Oil - especially during winter months when most don't get enough sunshine and vitamin D.

4.Acerola or Amla berry - has the most naturally occuring vitamin C then any other fruit or berry. Orange doesn't even come close.

Wash your hands a lot. Drink a lot of clean purified water.

Also, for your kids, during summer, make sure your kid plays in the dirt, gets dirty, swims in the ocean, and exposed to as much outside activity as he/she can. Building the immune system has a lot to do with not shying away from germs.

I'm sure I can think of more, that's all for now.

I so agree with you, growing up we were allowed to get dirty and Mom didn't run around with antibactirial hand sanitizer to clean us up. These days we don't allow our kids to get dirty since we are so afraid of germs. Maybe that is one of the reasons my kids don't get sick much.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:35 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
I can't even imagine the incredible frustration of being a kid and not being allowed to get dirty. That would really suck! What an impoverished childhood that would be.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
This journal article is 7 yrs old but it has some interesting information on probiotics and non-intestinal infectious conditions.

http://journals.cambridge.org/downlo...51a6bcc1b17fc3

Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
This journal article is 7 yrs old but it has some interesting information on probiotics and non-intestinal infectious conditions.

http://journals.cambridge.org/downlo...51a6bcc1b17fc3
for some reason I can't open the file.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:46 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
That is so odd - I was just reading it and now I can't open it either. Let me see if I can link it some other way.

I have tried but the only way I can get to it is by the google search. I googled "probiotics virus" and the article was 5 selections down and was from journals.cambridge.org.

There are also some abstracts available for related articles but I chose this one b/c its full text. Abstracts are such a tease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness