Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:41 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times

Advertisements

CDC says best defense is hand washing. I suggest buying disposable latex gloves and using them in public places. I always use them at Wmart. One customer asked me why I was wearing the latex gloves and just then a women began coughing, a hacking cough, without trying to cover her mouth. I told her that's why. I also keep germicidal hand cleaner in my car and use it regularly.

Years ago a friend who is a nurse suggested I get a germicidal bathroom spray and use it regularly on the toilet surfaces and such. She said that most of us are normally cleanly and keep the bathroom up to par but when we are sick or tired we tend to let things slide. There are now sprays that advertise right on the can they kill flu bacteria. I suggest investing in a can of this stuff and spray your toilet and surrounding area often.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:31 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Yes, agree to disagree

I understand Vitamin A and the difference between palmitate and Carotene, I work in nutrition

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? I work with hundreds of seniors who before supplementing were so low it was insane Studies show that well over 75% of children and 80% of adults are deficient. The debate is not over that. The Debate is what effects it has on us.
I'm not debating. The reason I mentioned carotene is because you made a comparison about getting vit. A from vegetables and I said that there is no vit.A in vegetables. That's about it.

I have gotten my vitamin D checked and it's normal because I supplement with CLO. There is no question what negative effects vitamin D deficiency has on a body, but how much of the percentage of people you listed supplemented with CLO and whether or not it was enough for them, because I think we are in agreement that supplementation is needed, the dissagreement comes on how much, how often, how long and what kind of supplementation.

And not related topic, DH is a board certified H.H.C (certified by American association of Drugless Practitioners), so I also know a thing or 2, not an expert by any means, just sharing whatever knowledge I have.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:04 PM

By the way, Miasmommy, what is your suggestion then for vitamin D supplement? Just curious...
Vitamin D can also be obtained from other foods (CLO being the highest), Butter, herring, Kippers, Salmon (canned), Sardines, Tuna, Eggs...

Old 10-01-2009, 08:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
The BEST source of vitamin D is......SUNSHINE!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:26 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm not debating. The reason I mentioned carotene is because you made a comparison about getting vit. A from vegetables and I said that there is no vit.A in vegetables. That's about it.

I have gotten my vitamin D checked and it's normal because I supplement with CLO. There is no question what negative effects vitamin D deficiency has on a body, but how much of the percentage of people you listed supplemented with CLO and whether or not it was enough for them, because I think we are in agreement that supplementation is needed, the dissagreement comes on how much, how often, how long and what kind of supplementation.

And not related topic, DH is a board certified H.H.C (certified by American association of Drugless Practitioners), so I also know a thing or 2, not an expert by any means, just sharing whatever knowledge I have.

I didn't mean YOU or WE were debating

I meant that it is a FACT that so many people are deficient. The debate in the "medical" field is what effects and impacts that FACT has on us as humans.

Some say no biggie, others (like those I work with and others I respect) believe it has an incredible impact.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
The BEST source of vitamin D is......SUNSHINE!
That's true.

Unfortunately during winter months in the north states it is harder, you need to be under direct sunlight for at least 20 minutes, only at a certain time of the day, and it also depends on the altitude. New Yorkers don't get enough "D" from the sunshine, that's a fact.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I didn't mean YOU or WE were debating

I meant that it is a FACT that so many people are deficient. The debate in the "medical" field is what effects and impacts that FACT has on us as humans.

Some say no biggie, others (like those I work with and others I respect) believe it has an incredible impact.
Aaaa, got you!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
By the way, Miasmommy, what is your suggestion then for vitamin D supplement? Just curious...
Vitamin D can also be obtained from other foods (CLO being the highest), Butter, herring, Kippers, Salmon (canned), Sardines, Tuna, Eggs...

For a supplement I recommend a brand whos source of D is from a fish or lanolin. . .

SUN, Cod Liver Oil, Krill oil, Salmon, Tuna, eggs. . . . come first of course. But the children and pregnant women need to be extra careful with the fish so supplementing are important.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
max's mama wrote:
Unfortunately during winter months in the north states it is harder, you need to be under direct sunlight for at least 20 minutes, only at a certain time of the day, and it also depends on the altitude. New Yorkers don't get enough "D" from the sunshine, that's a fact.
You gotta get out of that place! Come on out to Colorado. Even on the coldest winter days when the high temp stays in the teens, there's enough sunlight to make our solarium hot enough to supply FREE heat to the house all afternoon.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
max's mama wrote:
You gotta get out of that place! Come on out to Colorado. Even on the coldest winter days when the high temp stays in the teens, there's enough sunlight to make our solarium hot enough to supply FREE heat to the house all afternoon.

LOL. I'm out of there man! Have been living in Sunshine State for the past month. Would love to visit Colorado though, I hear it's beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness