Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:42 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,613 times

Advertisements

Could be strep, my grandson had it about a month ago but he didn't have a fever though. He had coughing, slight achiness and was very, very tired.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:12 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Dad just said if there is not significant improvement by tomorrow to take him to the doctor. He is asleep and coughing very little. Thanks all for your input.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If there's a concern re: Streptococcus, you should get him tested soon so that if an antibiotic is necessary it can be started soon. What you don't want is to have to deal with scarlet fever or any post-Strep complication.

Please. Scarlet Fever RARELY happens.

MOST cases of strep clear up on their own within one week. Even if SF was a factor, you are safe going untreated for that week.

I'd wait a week. I bet it will be better no later than day 5.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 PM

264 posts, read 819,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post

MOST cases of strep clear up on their own within one week. Even if SF was a factor, you are safe going untreated for that week.

Just because something rarely happens does not mean you should ignore it as a possibility, especially since it is preventable when the primary infection is properly treated.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmom3 View Post
Just because something rarely happens does not mean you should ignore it as a possibility, especially since it is preventable when the primary infection is properly treated.
Like I said, most likely it will go away within 5 days. There is no harm in waiting that long. There IS harm in taking antibiotics when you don't need them and going to the doc to pick up more germs.

Strep is not serious for most people, close to all.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Dad just said if there is not significant improvement by tomorrow to take him to the doctor. He is asleep and coughing very little. Thanks all for your input.
hey, hope he feels better soon. It's so hard to know what to do when one's child is sick. Especially if away from home.
My daughter gets strep at least once a year and rarely runs fever but does throw up,has a headache and an extremely sore throat.
Swollen tonsil could signal tonsillitis.

I kept a sore throat with no fever for 2 weeks recently........very sore throat; due to sinus drainage.

Update us tomorrow??

Old 10-05-2009, 08:22 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,955 times
Its absolutely possible to have strep without a fever. Once our DD just had a swollen lymph node on her neck. Her throat wasn't even sore, and she had strep. However I have always been told that strep does NOT produce cold symptoms. It is very likely a virus. Although if a fever does develop, or she gets worse, you need to call the doctor as it is probably some other type of bacterial infection.

Nancy

Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post

If it's strep I don't know if a person would want to live for a week to see if it would clear up on its own. I had that a few years ago, and I was to the point where trying to swallow mashed potatoes brought tears to my eyes. That was like day 3... It is a truly miserable experience.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,346,590 times
My son has similar symptoms. NO fever right now....sore throat,.swollen tonsils...........
Took him to doc last Fri. White patches in back of his throat. Did rapid beta on him and came back negative. Doc said if it wasn't better in 2-5 days to give him Amoxicillin 400mg liquid....so he started the antibiotic today. Hopefully it will clear up. She said it looks like post nasal drip in the back of his throat....

Let us know how he is.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
My son has similar symptoms. NO fever right now....sore throat,.swollen tonsils...........
Took him to doc last Fri. White patches in back of his throat. Did rapid beta on him and came back negative. Doc said if it wasn't better in 2-5 days to give him Amoxicillin 400mg liquid....so he started the antibiotic today. Hopefully it will clear up. She said it looks like post nasal drip in the back of his throat....

Let us know how he is.

So what was the reason for the antibiotics?

I give the doc props for saying to wait a few days. MOST of the time many illnesses clear up on their own. You may think it is because of the antibiotics when in fact it is not. We need to stop using them so much. It's insane really. Unfortunate for our futures

Last edited by miasmommy; 10-05-2009 at 10:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness