Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:48 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times

Advertisements

This is very awkward. I belong to Toastmasters and one of the things they do each week is to shake everyone's hands. After a visit to my Dr's last week, wherein I shook his hand and he corrected me that I am supposed to do the knuckle hitting handshake due to H1N1 now I don't want to shake hands with anyone. The antibacterial gels don't work as they don't fight viruses.

I am considering just quitting the group as I don't know how to tell an entire group I don't want to shake hands due to H1N1. That would make me look very strange but I want to follow my Dr's lead. Thoughts? Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 06:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Is it something that you can broach with the group before the next meeting?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:54 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Contact whoever the lead person is in your group and see if they could possibly send out a mass email to all members regarding H1N1 and the reccomendation they not shake hands due to it.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Is it something that you can broach with the group before the next meeting?
No, not really. I just joined and barely know these people. If I were to make some sort of announcement no doubt they'd think I was crazy. But given the fact that I haven't rec'd the vaccine and have a chronic condition, I simply don't want to take any unnecessary chances. I don't think anyone should have to.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Contact whoever the lead person is in your group and see if they could possibly send out a mass email to all members regarding H1N1 and the reccomendation they not shake hands due to it.
Well, this assumes that the President of the group would see things the same way I or my Dr. does. If not, I guess I could just quit. I hate to make an issue of it or tell other people what they should or should not do, but I am glad my Dr. pointed this out and I just don't want to shake hands with anyone now as a result.

On second thought, I think I will just send an email to him and let him know that my Dr. corrected me to not shake hands and that I know this is custom and ask how to handle it. That way, it's on him and not me. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, this assumes that the President of the group would see things the same way I or my Dr. does. If not, I guess I could just quit. I hate to make an issue of it or tell other people what they should or should not do, but I am glad my Dr. pointed this out and I just don't want to shake hands with anyone now as a result.
Just say something to the effect that due to the H1N1 virus the CDC is urging people to cease shaking hands. Since this is a standard practice at our meetings, I was wondering if we might alter this practice for the time being and if you could address the issue with the group? After a recent visit with my own doctor, he made a point of bringing it up and reinterated shaking hands is something I should no longer due because of this virus. Your thoughts and consideration would be appreciated.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Just say something to the effect that due to the H1N1 virus the CDC is urging people to cease shaking hands. Since this is a standard practice at our meetings, I was wondering if we might alter this practice for the time being and if you could address the issue with the group? After a recent visit with my own doctor, he made a point of bringing it up and reinterated shaking hands is something I should no longer due because of this virus. Your thoughts and consideration would be appreciated.
I like that, but is the CDC really doing this? If not, I'll just say my Dr. has pointed out that shaking hands is not a good idea at this point in time and the rest of what you say.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I like that, but is the CDC really doing this? If not, I'll just say my Dr. has pointed out that shaking hands is not a good idea at this point in time and the rest of what you say.
According to the news yes the CDC brought it up along with coughing into your arm instead of your hands and washing your hands more and a host of other things.

Here this is direct from the CDC:

Everyone should, of course, also follow the standard CDC recommendations:

• Avoid shaking hands if possible. If you do shake a hand wash up afterward, either with soap and water or hand sanitizer, before touching your face or eating.
  • Perform careful hand hygiene by washing hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol based hand sanitizer, especially after you cough or sneeze.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread that way. Try to avoid close cont act with sick people.
  • If you get sick, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
  • Carefully clean surfaces that are frequently touched.

For further information...

Please reference the CDC's H1N1 webpage at http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:13 AM

I guess others are following suit on this whole not shaking hands thing:

Greater Memphis Chamber, H1N1, Hand shaking; Handwashing, Sanitizers, Virus, Memphis Shelby County Health Department - WREG (http://www.wreg.com/wreg-no-handshakes-story,0,1207172.story - broken link)

Old 10-10-2009, 07:15 AM

See my edited post above for the CDC guidelines. you could send it along with your request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness