Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 05:20 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,518 times

Advertisements

from what i understand it all depends on the chiropractor, some are quacks some are not, have to decide for yourself which is which, there are a few people i know personally who have benefited from the occasional spinal realignment, then ive also heard stories of those whom have the quack that state they need a visit at least once a week

in all honesty i think id rather go to the local massage parlor and pay $20 or $30 for a 20 - 30 minute massage to loosen up my back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 06:27 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
i had a wonderful chiropractor for years.
i would find one that has been referred to you by someone you know / trust who has had good and healing experiences with him/her.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:44 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I actually think I am going to try it. Hoping my insurance covers it, but somehow thinking it wont.

In this case, will have to wait.

I thank you all for your help and insight!

Have a great weekend!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 02:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
I plan on going within the next three months.
My health insurance won't pay for it but hopefully I can find someone who will take around 50 to 60 per session.

I had a massage yesterday to help with my back pain and it has helped somewhat but I'm pretty sore. I know you have to keep it consistent in order to get the best results but I don't have the money to drop $60 every week for a massage. I wish I did though.

I am hoping I can get my primary-care physician to recommend I see a chiropractor or a massage therapist and try to get my health insurance company to pay for it. I figure it's cheaper than them paying for back surgery.

It's funny how they'll pay for someone with diabetes to get a limp amputated but they won't pay for sessions with a dietician or a podiatrist.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:28 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I actually think I am going to try it. Hoping my insurance covers it, but somehow thinking it wont.

In this case, will have to wait.

I thank you all for your help and insight!

Have a great weekend!!!
I hope this helps: How to Get Your Medical Insurer to Cover Alternative Medicine Treatments - Healthy Living - Health.com

I plan on trying this with my company.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 25,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Many times, over the years, something new comes to inhabit my body, and being new, it can be scarey and there's a tendency to panic.

But I've learned, also, to give time an opportunity to heal it as well before running off to a Doctor, Acupuncturist, Chiropractor, or whoever. And, in the vast majority of cases, time was the greatest healer, IF you have the time and patience. Some don't. Some panic, rush off somewhere for quicker healing.

I once worked, doing back office in a Chiropractic clinic for a year, but the facility I worked in left me never wanting to use one of these facilities if I needed help. I finally left there because I felt many of the practises going on there were highly unethical, taking advantage of insurance companies, and people in pain as a result of an injury. This Chiro once told me, confidentially, there were some very unethical Chiro's out there who do adjustments which will have you coming back over and over again. That put a big scare in me!

One of my jobs was to make sure those leaving the facility made another appointment. Sometimes she'd have them coming back day after day, day after day, just to milk the insurance companies.

I'm sure there are some highly ethical chiropractors out there, but I'm not about to spend the time & energy to find them. So far, time and patience has done wonders for me and lots of self-help remedies.
Plenty of other professionals milk their respective systems. Every profession has those that practice unethically, so I wouldn't use this to form an opinion of chiropractic or all chiropractors.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,579 times
While in college I went to one pretty regularly as I was always having headaches, neck pain associated with carrying my books and studying .. he could never help me with my low low back pain. I went to another chiro after a few years for my low back pain - nothing.. no help.
I went to my GP and got in with a Physical therapist - no help... went again to GP - then physical therapist - she was phenomenal and fixed my low back pain.
i've had sever hip/sciatic area pain since my low back pain issue as well.. Went to my GP - tests, xrays, MRIs, went to an ortho surgeon to get a shot in the bursa.. fixed it right up for about 6 months.. then right back to massive pain - I can't walk again pain.. Decided to give a chiro a try again on this.
The lower back/hip pain is related and after 4 visis (2x a week) my pain was dramatically reduced - as in - no more drugs. I still have the pain in my lower back/hip region and need to go in every so often.. But it is helping and I am no longer in serious pain and don't need to rely on my vicodin to get through a day.
BTW.. the chiropractor (2 of them) have stated I have very loose Sacroiliac joints which causes the joints to move to much, slipping, causing the low back pain as other muscles try to compensate.. and the hip muscles to compensate as well.
My snapping hip syndrome however has not been relieved :/..

So... give it a try.. otherwise see a GOOD physical therapist

Old 11-01-2009, 02:26 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I first went to a chiro when I was in a bad car accident almost 20 years ago. I didn't want to take massive amounts of painkillers. I still go when I have back and hip pain, which is about once or twice a year. Since I have upped my exercise program, I probably will go more, but I much prefer that to meds. Just make sure you find the right chiro for you. The one I have now is excellent.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:57 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
I'm a big believer in chiropractic, but I also use massage therapy and exercises for my back and neck. Like Itz, my joints are strung loosely. It helps to keep loose and toned.

I've been to many chiros and have some in the family too. I don't care for the ones who wanted to go to medical school and couldn't make it and who use a metal activator instead of using their hands which I believe is better for diagnosis and healing. It implies a more refined personal development in the 'art' of healing as opposed to a process. Most of the ones I've been to were adequate, only a couple were really outstanding if you have a hard case. My current chiro is in his 80's and I swear he has xray vision in his hands. I won't let him retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness