Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:24 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times

Advertisements

I am 59, and there are days it seems ALL my muscles scream with soreness, after a litte physical exertion, or lifting heavy things, etc. I used to be REALLY strong, with excellent stamina (ok, that was like 20 yrs ago...), but those days are long gone. I'd say that about 1/2 my strength is gone...history. Used to be able to pick up and heave 98lb bags of cement over my shoulder, pick up engine blocks, hike 20 miles a day, etc, but all that's no more, for sure. I struggle to lift 50-60 lbs anymore, and can't go far with it before my back gives out. A mile hike is like a marathon.
Is what I'm experiencing normal for my age? Does everybody go through this? Should I worry?

Young at heart, burned out body...
Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 03:10 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Do you eat well? Take a multi vitamin? Do you exercise regularly or is this a weekend warrior kind of thing? At 59, a mile hike shouldn't be like a marathon.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:27 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
bud
keep one thing in mind, you are once again using body part that "rested" all winter.
I realized that when I started my yard work again after not doing much during the winter. If you slowly get back into the spring/summer activities you will notice you can do more longer.
I know I couldn't carry 60#s for a mile, lol wait thats not going to be on our list of fun things when we come to Alaska in Aug is it? I better start praticing

karla

Old 05-18-2007, 01:55 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
How long as it been since you exercised or stayed active regularly? As you age, yeah, your body does slow down but I've been people at my gym that look older than 60 and can do more cardio and weights than me and I'm 29!

We all wish we can but unfortunately, our "golden years" will eventually fade but it doesn't mean you can't lead a healthy lifestyle. When you were young, you didn't have to try to be healthy b'c most likely you already were but as you age, I think it's something you need to be more aware of. Take those baby steps and keep at it. I'm sure you will be able to build up your stamina!

Old 05-18-2007, 02:20 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
Hey Bud,
I'm 59 too so I know whereof you speak! I doubt I was ever able to do the things you were, but I was pretty active and strong and didn't need my husband to lift every little thing for me. Now when I do something extraordinary, I hurt for 3 days! I noticed body soreness this week when all I did was stain the hot tub and deck! And I was either sitting or kneeling on a pad most of that time...I guess I'm just out of shape, but it doesn't take as much at a certain age to actually hurt ourselves as when we were 30.

My husband is 12 years older than I am and he still complains about not being able to do things like he used to! But he can still outdo me on the treadmill.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:28 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
hey bud
If you need motivation join our daily execise thread we have so much fun

karla

Old 05-18-2007, 06:53 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I am 59, and there are days it seems ALL my muscles scream with soreness, after a litte physical exertion, or lifting heavy things, etc. I used to be REALLY strong, with excellent stamina (ok, that was like 20 yrs ago...), but those days are long gone. I'd say that about 1/2 my strength is gone...history. Used to be able to pick up and heave 98lb bags of cement over my shoulder, pick up engine blocks, hike 20 miles a day, etc, but all that's no more, for sure. I struggle to lift 50-60 lbs anymore, and can't go far with it before my back gives out. A mile hike is like a marathon.
Is what I'm experiencing normal for my age? Does everybody go through this? Should I worry?

Young at heart, burned out body...
Bud
Did you have polio when you were a child? I'm guessing you're on the cusp of the last people who could have been exposed before the vaccine

Old 05-18-2007, 07:29 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Hi Bud, had a good complete checkup from the doctor lately? I'm 52, I get a complete physical checkup every 12 to 18 months or so just to make sure all systems are in good working order. Lots of guys are "afraid" to go to the doc for whatever reason. Most funerals of guys in my age range that I've attended in the last couple of years could have been avoided by a simple doctor visit to get checked out and maybe make a few changes or take a few precautions.

Make sure they run the full list of blood and urine tests that show the chemical balance in your system. PSA test too, super important, all men over 50 should know their PSA. They'll do a few other "tests" that you won't like (after the doc puts on the latex glove) but that's part of the deal. Get an EKG done on the heart, check blood pressure and cholesterol. Then think about visiting a cardio doc and have a treadmill stress test done. That's where they get you going at a good pace on the treadmill, pulse gets to 150 and then they lie you down on a table and do a sonogram of your heart while it is working hard. This is to make sure all the heart valves are in good working order.
If everything looks good after the medical tests are done, and the doc gives you a green light to start up a fitness program, best thing to do is start with walking. Cut out the junk food and eat a bunch of fruits and veggies everyday. Up in AK, find a buddy or two to go out walking with. What better place with all the great outdoor beauty. In winter, get some lightweight snowshoes if it's snowy or icy out, no reason to stay indoors and get cabin fever. Main thing is this - enjoy whatever physical activity it is that gets your body in motion. The "exercise" thing should not be something to dread, it should be something you love to do. Have fun and good luck! Keep us posted.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:24 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
REcycled is right. I commend every individual who comes through my office getting their yearly physicals......ESPECIALLY MEN!!! Most men do not want to go to the dr. I like to reference it like this when some patients or their wives complain to me about it. You do preventative maintanence on your car to keep it running good and lasting longer... do the same thing for your body!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 06:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
You're just out of shape. Nothing a few days a week in the gym won't cure. Get into a routine of cardio and weight training and build your body and stamina back up. You've just let it go for too long, but it's not too late to get it back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness