Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,897,543 times

Advertisements

Here is my story; I have had a sinus infection that worked it's way to my chest. The doctor gave me the usual steroids and antibiotics that are supposed to last 10 days. I take 9 days worth and then my stomach/colon goes to hell in a handcart. Extreme bloating and diarrhea. Back to the doctor I go. She tells me to do nothing EXCEPT go and buy lots of yogurt and make sure it says "Live and Active Cultures." She said the antibiotics wrecked all the good bacteria in my colon and the yogurt will correct that.

This got me to wondering, should I eat yogurt daily? Is it a miracle food? Anyone with some input would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 AM

5,864 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Here is my story; I have had a sinus infection that worked it's way to my chest. The doctor gave me the usual steroids and antibiotics that are supposed to last 10 days. I take 9 days worth and then my stomach/colon goes to hell in a handcart. Extreme bloating and diarrhea. Back to the doctor I go. She tells me to do nothing EXCEPT go and buy lots of yogurt and make sure it says "Live and Active Cultures." She said the antibiotics wrecked all the good bacteria in my colon and the yogurt will correct that.

This got me to wondering, should I eat yogurt daily? Is it a miracle food? Anyone with some input would be great.
You can get the same effect from buying a probiotic without the added calories! I take one called Jarrow-Dophilus. Yes, the probiotics definitely help restore balance of good bacteria in your colon. If you really like yogurt though, go for it. As your doctor said though, look for ones that have Live and Active Cultures, otherwise you are just eating a sugared dairy product.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
You can get the same effect from buying a probiotic without the added calories! I take one called Jarrow-Dophilus. Yes, the probiotics definitely help restore balance of good bacteria in your colon. If you really like yogurt though, go for it. As your doctor said though, look for ones that have Live and Active Cultures, otherwise you are just eating a sugared dairy product.

Better effect .. yogurt doesn't have all the strains that a pro-biotic formula has and yes, i've been using Jarrow-Dophilus for years ... high quality and reasonably priced.
If you're on a course of anti-biotics then take the friendly bacteria on an empty stomach and at least an hour away from taking the antibiotic.
This is a supplement that you can take for the rest of your life.
Take as much as your body allows .... if you experience diarrhea, you know you're taking too much.
2-3 capsules is what i take on a daily basis.
It's also a great suppository for vaginal yeast infections ... it works!
This is the one but i wouldn't order it via mail or if you do have it shipped over night.
Find it at the health food store and it needs to be kept refrigerated.
Amazon.com: Jarrow Formulations Jarrow Jarro-dophilus+fos, 200 Capsules: Health & Personal Care

Old 01-26-2010, 11:16 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
If you take anti-biotics it kills internal bacteria indiscriminately. Bacteria is needed in your gut to digest your food, so constipation is an expected result of a medical regime. You need to compensate with yogurt or a pro-biotic.
"Yogurt is a mystery food; how do you know when it goes bad?"

Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
I have been using homemade kefir. It is EASY to make using Kefir grains [the store bought kefir nor probiotic tabs have the variety of beneficial bacteria and yeast that kefir has]

Oh, yogurt grows mold when it goes bad....

Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

I prefer Kefir much more then yogurt. Good old traditional dairy based kefir.

Kefir

And what is your doctor thinking not recommending a probiotic supplement? Is she on crack?

The Eight Ultra-Healthy Uses of Probiotic Liquids, Recommended Serving Sizes & Storage Tips, and More:

Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
And this is a source for the grains. I have not tried hers. We got ours locally. All we do is strain them out, put in glass jar, pour in milk, let sit overnight give or take, strain the grains repeat the cycle. No warming the milk in advance or anything.

Real Kefir Grains · Quality Probiotic Cultures

Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM

541 posts, read 1,340,145 times
i do nto get american doctors..in germany almost every doctor ,who prescribes you an antibiotikum (and you hardly get an antibiotikum..not like in usa..only after you were treated homeopatic and did not work)also prescribes you same time something to protect your stomach,colon or advice you on some natural remedies for stomach during the periode...

let you ruin first your flora and then give you advice!!!how stupid is this?????????every idiot doctor should know,that antibiotikum affects the stomach flora..

with yoghurt i would be careful in usa...i saw a documentary,so much chemicals in them...try an organic plain yoghurt,is more expensive,but at least you know,you are not eatung chemicals,artificially flavours..there are suplements also, pills you can buy online or in stores to rebuild teh stomack flora...i would prefer them to yoghurt,teh concentration is higher and it works faster...

Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 PM

327 posts, read 968,365 times
Default Probiotics

I'm a big fan of a probiotic diet. I eat lots of plain organic yogurt, kefir, yogurt cheese, and drink GoodBelly (probiotic fruit drink.) I do not suffer from yeast infections now and rarely have IBS attacks. Also, I get a cold, maybe, once every two years and never get the flu.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
as someone who has had stomach issues as a kid yogurt is a god send! I eat it every morning and even though I am lactose intolerant (i can't drink milk) yogurt doesn't bother me.
Also try fruits with yogurt to build bulk (watermelon, pineapples, strawberries) after a bad bout with bloating and diarrhea. Don't drink anything liquid for a few hours after that.
Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness