Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:15 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times

Advertisements

There are alot of things I can't eat because of allergies, I end up eating things that are organic because of this alot of times and I think I am going to have to start making things from scratch...

BUT should you do what I do if you don't have the allergies I do??

Why should you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

800 posts, read 4,297,754 times
I'm 110-115 pounds and a size 2 or 4. Lots of my friends and family rib or disparage me for how much I eat...I eat a lot, but because I work out a lot and eat well 95 percent of the time (I ride my bike so it's fun), I can do this I have a super fast metabolism LOL

I don't try to "educate" others or "convert" them. I just do what works for me.

It's interesting because I've found that when others have an issue with me or how I eat, it's really about their own stuff or issues. I tend to look at relationships as a mirror. It works the other way too...If I have an issue with someone, there's a part of me that is like the person I object to...So...example...Maybe..."Health nuts" that try to convert others or disparage others' diets have a part of them that is frustrated with themself that they can't be a perfect health nut. And...maybe...those who object to the health nuts' annoying behavior have a part of them that wants to be healthy, but feels frustrated because they can't make it happen as neatly as they'd like...or all the time. Heck, we're human...can we really ever be "perfect", especially with our diets. I mean, would ice cream have been created if we were meant to be "perfect"??? Hee hee!

I always say that I'm a work in progress LOL. I rarely get questions about what I eat because that is not what I focus on in conversations...I don't see my health status as a form of my identity. I don't introduce myself as, "Hi, nice to meet you, I'm a vegatarian." LOL That is how some people are though...I always ask those healthy types for more details...Like what do you do for a living? What makes you happy? That is what is truly interesting, IMHO

I've studied the attitudes and behaviors of others who have lived to be 100 years old or older. Most of them attribute their longevity to things other than healthy diet. Most seemed to have lived their lives in moderation. Heck, didn't George Burns live to be 100 and OMG, he smoked cigars Hee hee! For me, it's all about your attitude...If you're positive about your life, you're going to be healthier and, well, IMHO, happier...

Okay, now I'm hungry for dark chocolate M&M's...who wrote that? LOL Hee hee!

I really think of all people as beautiful souls, no matter what they eat, what size or shape they are...It's all good Variety is great

Hugs,
L

485 posts, read 1,648,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
I sympathize and believe me, I relate. Healthy people can be as prosletyzing as some religious people, you know I'm always amazed that food can be as dividing to discuss as politics, religion or sex. It's just food, for goodness sakes, I want to yell out LOL

Did I mention that I'm a health nut?

Before you write me off as crazy, I just want to assure you that I don't believe in pushing my beliefs on anyone. I believe in everything in moderation, including moderation. I also don't like to judge anyone for anything. I like to see people enjoying themselves in what way works best for them I always smile to watch my 3 year old nephew eating a popsicle...He's happy and it brings me happiness Just to give you an example.

But, it works both ways. Please don't judge. Not all of us health nuts are really crazy or judgmental. I had to become healthy for a serious health condition. I had my wake up call when I was 21 and had pre-cancer. Then, when I was 26, I was diagnosed with two severe autoimmune conditions, as well as severe food allergies, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. I was really sick for many years. I gave up my dream of going to law school. I also was a successful amateur athlete at the time and well, I had to quit because of my health crises.

I refused to accept that I wouldn't live a full life, so I made my own health my quest. I experimented with diets, supplements, bodywork, yoga...everything from A-Z. I've recently added up my receipts since 1998 for all of my health stuff and well, I stopped at $60,000. I sacrificed a lot, but today, I'm happy to report that I'm very healthy and very happy.

My life is full and very fun. I'm so blessed that I was given a couple of second chances. It's nice now to only have to sleep 7-8 hours a day versus the 14-18 hours I used to sleep. And, I have energy I can follow my life purpose. I can make it up the stairs without nearly passing out from exhaustion. Yes, it was that bad for me...I am not exaggerating.

I don't go around trying to 'convert' people to be healthy or to eat healthy. I am more about loving others and trying to be as loving as I can. And, to me, it's more about intention...If you believe a food is harmful, it will be harmful for you

I leave 5 percent in my diet for things I enjoy like dark chocolate, a glass of wine, Thai food, etc. I do these on special occasions. It works well for me. I even cook meat for my family and friends. I make great salmon and steaks, even though I don't eat them I enjoy making others happy

The nice thing is that we're all different and not one diet or way of eating works for everyone, so you can enjoy life in the way that works for you. To me, that is freedom

So, enjoy what makes you happy

Hugs,
L
I'm glad you got your health back. I've been trying to eat healthier, and I thought fresh salmon was good for you. Is it not?

Old 06-01-2007, 02:17 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,433 times
Ain't nuthin' better than a big fat ol' Hershey Bar!!!!!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 02:20 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
not that I agree with it, but my uncle lived to be 102 and he ate fried everything, didnt watch what he ate. he told me his secret was a good cigar, Wild Turkey and Jack Daniels, and make sure you dance with pretty women every frid and sat night....lol he told me this when he was 98.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:20 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
Amen, KimoJimo!

Old 06-01-2007, 02:28 PM

3,289 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Quote:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "Woo hoo! What a ride!"
I absolutely agree with this statement. Liz

Old 06-01-2007, 02:37 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "Woo hoo! What a ride!"
So that's what that sound is! I thought I was hearing a car hot rodding out front and all this time it's me in a skid!

Old 06-01-2007, 04:11 PM

179 posts, read 784,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
not that I agree with it, but my uncle lived to be 102 and he ate fried everything, didnt watch what he ate. he told me his secret was a good cigar, Wild Turkey and Jack Daniels, and make sure you dance with pretty women every frid and sat night....lol he told me this when he was 98.

So then why are you spending a friday night running bleachers? You should be dancing and drinking Jack!

Actually, I don't like the food police. Yes, I have to lose weight, but who gave you permission to be critical of my food choices? I went to a restaurant with a person (former friend). It was a total nightmare - so bad, I think that was the last time I saw her - I knew it would be halfway through dinner). Admittedly, I was heavier than I am now and lost a lot of weight (now gained it back, not all, and trying to lose it again) but all during this time period and now, I remained the same person - considerate of other people and their feelings. And I think that's what a lot of people lack, consideration of other people's feelings. Anywho, no dark choc m&m's for me, I think I'll have a diet coke and Jack with a twist of lime.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:50 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
There are several older people like this around where I live. Many of the younger generation are dying of cancer, stroke, and heart attacks, but these older legends live on in great health. Could it be because they never began a chain of prescription drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness