Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
tgb tgb started this thread

11 posts, read 158,210 times

Advertisements

I have been getting chest and jaw pain for about two weeks now. I also have been sharp pain on the left part of my chest where my heart is. A couple days ago, I had pressure in my chest, sweating and difficulty breathing, and lasted for about 15 minutes, which are signs of a heart attack or other heart conditions.

I had an EKG which came out normal. I got a chest x-ray done and x-ray of the neck and jaw. If the EKG came out normal, could there maybe be a start of something related to the heart? At the time of the EKG, I didn't have that episode I had a couple days ago (sweating, pressure in chest, and trouble breathing) Is that why the EKG came back normal?

I still have chest and jaw pain now. I also feel lightheaded at times for a couple weeks now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Cassie

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 02-08-2010 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: removed extraneous links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgb View Post
I have been getting chest and jaw pain for about two weeks now. I also have been sharp pain on the left part of my chest where my heart is. A couple days ago, I had pressure in my chest, sweating and difficulty breathing, and lasted for about 15 minutes, which are signs of a heart attack or other heart conditions.

I had an EKG which came out normal. I got a chest x-ray done and x-ray of the neck and jaw. If the EKG came out normal, could there maybe be a start of something related to the heart? At the time of the EKG, I didn't have that episode I had a couple days ago (sweating, pressure in chest, and trouble breathing) Is that why the EKG came back normal?

I still have chest and jaw pain now. I also feel lightheaded at times for a couple weeks now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Cassie

An EKg only measures heart activity for a minute or so. It could be normal during that time. You need to insist on an 24-hour holter monitor, it takes readings for 24/48 hours.

did they do any blood work? There's cardiac markers that are elevated for about 24-48 hours after a heart attack.

My dh had the same symptoms, I insisted he was having a heart attack, he went to the ER and he was actually having a heart attack.

My advice---don't fool around making dr appts, getting tests, etc, go to an ER and say you're having a heart attack, they will do the cardiac blood work, etc.

Your symptoms aren't to be ignored, don't fool around with office appointments, if you go to an ER they will take you more seriously!

good luck!

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 02-08-2010 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: removed links from quote...

Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 PM

Default Chest and Jaw Pain

Thank you for replying. I didn't have any blood work or a stress test. A few days ago I had sharp pain on the left side of my chest with sweating and pressure. That was a couple days before I went to the doctor. Is that why the EKG came back normal becasue no symptoms were present, only pain? Can blood work show any heart defects?
Cassie

Old 01-08-2010, 07:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
did they do any blood work? There's cardiac markers that are elevated for about 24-48 hours after a heart attack.

.........................!
There's your answer.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 PM

ok, a doctor or cardiologist is for detecting underlying problems and treating them, but an ER is wheren you go if you think you're in the process of having a heart attack. The ER will do more in a quicker manner than a scheduled doctor's apptI just know from experience, it can take days to even get an appt in a dr's office, if you think you're having a heart attack get to an ER!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgb View Post
Thank you for replying. I didn't have any blood work or a stress test. A few days ago I had sharp pain on the left side of my chest with sweating and pressure. That was a couple days before I went to the doctor. Is that why the EKG came back normal becasue no symptoms were present, only pain? Can blood work show any heart defects?
Cassie
A heart attack can be sudden and severe, the "elephant on your chest" or, it can actually go on for hours or even days.

My dh had a heart attack, he had symptoms like yours, they lasted for 2-3 days before he told me, I insisted he get to an ER, he was in the process of having a heart attack. Take care of yourself!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:08 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
If you have these symptoms again, call 911 for several reasons-we got reamed out for driving to the ER [and I was driving]

one-if you drive and it gets worse you are SOL
two-the ambulance drivers typically know the "best" hospital for heart problems
three-they can get a jump on EKG, starting fluids, etc.
four-they can restart your heart if it stops

My husband has had two minor heart attacks. He listened to the warnings and has NO heart damage because of it. He also has four stents (two from the first) and is continuing to work on health changes. He had a PERFECT EKG after his last heart attack [actually during] but his blood markers were up and he was having chest pain. They called it only because of the caridac markers though, and a repeat test several hours later showed they were still elevated. Went in and put in two stents for an 80% blockage. Not all heart attacks cause the characteristic EKG changes. He had a clean stress test 3 months before the event, too.

In the meanwhile - see a cardiologist. Insist on it if your insurance requires a referral.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:14 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
sweating, nausea, light headness , jaw and chest pain are all indicative of a heart attack. Take the advice and call 9/11 immediately since they will see first if you come in with paramedics.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
A heart attack can be sudden and severe, the "elephant on your chest" or, it can actually go on for hours or even days.
I'm not wanting to deminish the possibility of a heart attack, but my asthma makes me feel like there's an elephant sitting on my chest.

Anxiety is another very possible explanation for the OP's symptoms that nobody has mentioned. Pain in the check, difficulty breathing, lightheadedness and sweating are all classic panic attack symptoms. The jaw pain could be the result of clenching or grinding teeth when sleeping due to anxiety.

Another is acid reflux, which can also mimic a heart attack. My husband ended up in the ER for this. The EKg was going wild. The nitroglycerin relieved the symtpoms. Everyone was certain that he was having a heart attack. They did a heart cath through a vein in his leg and everything was perfect. That's when the diagnosed him with reflux due to some hot wings he ate the night before. It's amazing something that simple can even fool the ER doctors. But that doesn't explain the jaw pain like a heart attack or anxiety does.

I definitely agree that the OP needs to go to the ER as soon as he/she has symptoms next time. This isn't something to be diagnosed at the doctor's office.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:32 PM

Default Chest and Jaw Pain

Thank you for replying. I have been dizzy for most of the day and it started today. I still have the chest and jaw pain that stayed the same. Are these signs of something serious?

Cassie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness