Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:45 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times

Advertisements

It's also called Cholinergic Urticaria. Basically it's a condition where you breakout in hives and start to itch whenever your body gets hot. Doctors aren't sure as to what exactly causes it or how to cure it.

Here's an article on it:

Cholinergic Urticaria and Chronic Heat Hives - Do You Itch When You Get Hot? (http://ezinearticles.com/?Cholinergic-Urticaria-and-Chronic-Heat-Hives---Do-You-Itch-When-You-Get-Hot?&id=3834147 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 09:22 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
Ack! YES! I didn't know there was a name for it. Whenever I get hot and sweat, my scalp breaks out and itches like mad.. I end up with a raw scalp from scratching it...

Old 03-20-2010, 10:11 AM

^
If you want to learn more about CU here's a website on it.

Cholinergic Urticaria (Chronic Heat Hives)-Cholinergic Urticaria.net

Old 03-20-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Ack! YES! I didn't know there was a name for it. Whenever I get hot and sweat, my scalp breaks out and itches like mad.. I end up with a raw scalp from scratching it...
I have this condition. It used to only be a problem for me during the winter months but for whatever reason it continued on into the summer months starting last summer. I basically have to avoid getting too hot during the summer. If I breakout I have to pat myself with water to cool my skin off then the hives will go away.

There just seems to be theories on what causes this. Some believe this may be related to a hormone imbalance and some say it may be related to a skin bacteria blocking your sweat glands and pores preventing your body from sweating properly that causes the hives.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:16 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
I used to get a "heat rash" when I was small (no AC then!!!) and it was miserable!

Thank goodness we have AC nowadays! I love hot weather, but only because we can get out of it as necessary!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:13 AM

3 posts, read 38,987 times
Well my story is last summer when we were moving, I suddenly noticed a small itch on my hands. I ignored it. When we were unpacking our stuff, I suddenly started itching all over. I complained to my mom that I was itching but I still helped unpack. Later that summer it didn't happen that much. When school started I noticed it again. Everytime in gym, I would itch and go crazy. I wanted to just go home. I did, a few times. Finaly I got some medicine but it didn't help much. It made the itching feel, "Different" than the original. Less painful, but weird. I finaly went to the docter and got 2 kinds of medicine. I take 1 in the morning, 1 at night. They seem to help mostly. Still itch like hell. Then my mom researched it saying in the winter you should work out until you break sweat so the body gets use to it.I will do that when winter comes. But now in summer, all I seem to be doing is itching like crazy. I also noticed that is more of a "I don't want to do this I'll just itch" thing. I avoid doing many things because of how painful of getting the hives on my chest, arms, and legs. Its a ugly look, and I hate it. I don't want my friends seeing me like this... But I had to tell them. But serously. I agree with someone here who said putting water on them selfs helps so much. I go to the bathroom when I itch and rub water all over my legs. If I was itching alot before, I would rub it on my chest. I noticed how much it helped with the itching. But the thing I hate is how I'm so scared of doing everything. All I think of is "Im going to itch don't make me do this" and then I itch because I didn't want to do it and it makes me so angry... I really just want to finish 8'th grade and go to highschool but its gonna be so hard when I walk into school. I hope this goes away. I can't live with it.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKillers413 View Post
Well my story is last summer when we were moving, I suddenly noticed a small itch on my hands. I ignored it. When we were unpacking our stuff, I suddenly started itching all over. I complained to my mom that I was itching but I still helped unpack. Later that summer it didn't happen that much. When school started I noticed it again. Everytime in gym, I would itch and go crazy. I wanted to just go home. I did, a few times. Finaly I got some medicine but it didn't help much. It made the itching feel, "Different" than the original. Less painful, but weird. I finaly went to the docter and got 2 kinds of medicine. I take 1 in the morning, 1 at night. They seem to help mostly. Still itch like hell. Then my mom researched it saying in the winter you should work out until you break sweat so the body gets use to it.I will do that when winter comes. But now in summer, all I seem to be doing is itching like crazy. I also noticed that is more of a "I don't want to do this I'll just itch" thing. I avoid doing many things because of how painful of getting the hives on my chest, arms, and legs. Its a ugly look, and I hate it. I don't want my friends seeing me like this... But I had to tell them. But serously. I agree with someone here who said putting water on them selfs helps so much. I go to the bathroom when I itch and rub water all over my legs. If I was itching alot before, I would rub it on my chest. I noticed how much it helped with the itching. But the thing I hate is how I'm so scared of doing everything. All I think of is "Im going to itch don't make me do this" and then I itch because I didn't want to do it and it makes me so angry... I really just want to finish 8'th grade and go to highschool but its gonna be so hard when I walk into school. I hope this goes away. I can't live with it.
Since you're still a kid, I won't suggest you try anything new, but I will suggest you ask your mom if she'd check out Zyrtec and ask your doctor if the two of them think it's worth a try. It's an over-the-counter allergy medicine, similar to Allegra and Claritin. I get hives as well, thought it was from changes in temperature (going from cold outside to heated inside, and vice versa) but it turns out it's some kind of chemical coating on plastic grocery bags.

Anyway, the Zyrtec, I only take one on mornings when I know I'll be touching a lot of plastic bags for several hours (I work as a cashier so that's on work days). It's done a great job, I've had no side effects either which is important to me.

I tried Claritin but it didn't make any difference at all, that's why I switched to Zyrtec.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I have Atopic Eczema which itches a lot. But most doctors never see it and I was mis-diagnosed for nearly a year. Contact Dermatitis is just as irritating. I developed a extreme reaction to all elastic and all nylon products. Today I wear a lot of cotton and no Niki type of shoes. Hives is a natural allergic reaction. I stopped on a nest of Chiggers and had Hives over 98% of my body for 9 months. Now I carry an Epi-pen and do not walk in grass - I developed a grass allergy. If Hives get in your throat or eyes you can be blind or dead. I have Medrol, steroid creams, Zyrtec liquid and tubes of Gold Bond. I don't use Medrol unless it is an extreme situation.

If you are going to handle a lot of plastic perhaps you could try cotton gloves to put a barrier between you and the plastic. Tell the boss your hands are cold. .

Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times
Atarax works too, but it is only by RX.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
The links dont seem to mention getting the rashes due to being out in the sun
As i get hives/heat rash the last few times i've visited family in Florida, usually starts after an hour or two in the sun (Fishing)and maifests on fore arm and back of the hands and the ankle area.Calamine lotion gives some relief but a few hours of A/C is what really does the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness