Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:44 PM

31 posts, read 42,434 times

Advertisements

I have had the mirena birth control since 2007. Since i have got it put in i am constantly haveing cramps, mood swings, and i keep getting infrections, i am a clean person and i do not normal have infections there...i was wondering if anyone else is haveing any problems with this birth control? I am also haveing a lack in sex drive since i have got mirena...i am thinking about haveing it removed but i am not 100% sure on what i should do at the moment....i have been to the doctor time and time again about it and they think that my body is still adjusting to it, well it has been 2 1/2 years now and i think that my body should have adjusted by now...if you have had any problems similar please let me know i am hopeing that i am not the only one haveing these problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
This is a post you wrote in another thread -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmommy2007 View Post
I also have the mirena and haveing similar problems to what you all have posted on here...i do get yest infections and the last one i got came up very quick...i did not know that i had one there was no signs at all until one day i about past out and was burning up but also shivering at the same time...that is when i was took to the hospital and was told that i had one...i have been to the doctor but they never answermy questions straight about the mirena...i think that all this does come from it.. i am also loseing my hair (slowly) i am only 22 years old and i can not stand going through all this...i am also haveing a odor there to after sex... i was wondering if it comes from the semen mixing with the chemicals that the mirena have in it...i am just guessing at that one......i have had mine since 2007 and the problems have not stoped...i want to have it out but the doctor is always booked i am going to have to do something...my husband wants me to have it removed and have my tubes tied but i am not sure that i want to do that i am still young and may want more childern one day.....have any of you guys heard about some women haveing to have surgery to have the merina removed? my friend has one and just the other night after her and her husbad got done with their "bussiness" she was in so much pain that she could barley move...come to find out the the merina had moved and went into her mussle or something...i am worried about what it will do to me....please let me know how you guys are treating your problems with this. thanks
IMO, you need to find a different doctor.
Sounds like you need it taken out.

If they still make the regular IUD, I suggest that. I had it for 5 years without issues.
You usually know when it needs to come out because your period changes. Once it's out, everything goes back to normal.

My daughter is using Nuvaring which has been very easy.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
This is a post you wrote in another thread -

IMO, you need to find a different doctor.
Sounds like you need it taken out.

If they still make the regular IUD, I suggest that. I had it for 5 years without issues.
You usually know when it needs to come out because your period changes. Once it's out, everything goes back to normal.

My daughter is using Nuvaring which has been very easy.
That or make an appointment and have it removed.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
I have the Mirena and while I am not having all of the problems you are having, I had some weight gain, mood swings, etc... My NP said it could be perimenopause and said the Mirena probably had nothing to do with it b/c the hormones are supposed to stay local. IDK. I'm going on 3 yrs here and it seems to be a little better, but I think I may switch to the Paragard (the copper IUD with no hormones) when it is time, or maybe at yr 4 instead of yr 5.

I think you should make an appt to have yours removed if you think it is causing so many problems. If it were me, I would probably give myself some time before having the copper one inserted. Use non-hormonal birth control, like condoms, and just see how things go with your body, would be the way I would go with things.

Unless it has implanted in you I doubt the procedure for removal is that complicated you would need surgery. Probably very similar to the way it was put in, just in reverse. The only time I have heard of people needing the IUD surgically removed was when they got pg and it did not expel and they had to have it removed during the c-section, and it had embedded so it was not an easy removal.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:18 AM

8 posts, read 20,391 times
I had similar issues. Had it removed, much happier. Lost about 15 pounds too, within the first few months. Had another baby though, lol!!! I think most birth control-other than condoms--has more cons than pros, personally. If you get to know your cycle and are regular it is pretty easy to avoid getting pregnant.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:25 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Default Mirena

Mirena releases about 20 micrograms of a progestin called levonorgestrel daily. This is about the same dose as a low dose birth control pill, without the addition of the estrogen in the pill. Because the progestin is released directly to the uterine lining, the lining becomes thin and inactive.

Do you have cramping every day? Or just with your periods? Mirena usually reduces menstrual bleeding and cramping. If you are having a lot of cramps, a simple ultrasound can determine if the device is properly positioned inside the uterus, not partially expelled.

Although infections can occur due to IUDs of any kind, truly IUD associated infections occur at the time of insertion, not 2 1/2 years later. No IUD will prevent infections, however, including sexually transmitted ones (STDs). Cramping (and possibly spotting or irregular bleeding) and vaginal discharge could be a symptom of an STD, such as chlamydia or even gonorrhea. These can cause cervical and tubal infections, and the presence of an IUD when one of these is acquired can make it worse. Anyone can get an STD! It is common these days for both partners in a relationship to have had other partners, pick something up, and not have any symptoms. And a PAP smear does not reliably pick up infections. I am not saying YOU have one of these conditions, but it is bad medicine not to think about them.

IUDs do not cause vaginal infections. Itchy or bad smelling vaginal discharge needs to be evaluated and properly treated. Not everything that itches is yeast, by the way. Over the counter yeast treatments are convenient and inexpensive, but they will not work for anything except yeast. Yeast infections do not cause fever and chills, so it sounds as if something besides yeast was going on when you went to the ER. A bad odor after having sex is a common symptom of a condition called bacterial vaginosis, and is not related to the IUD.

Bottom line: see your gynecologist for an exam. Do not douche, have sex, or use any vaginal medications before the visit, and do not schedule the visit during your period. He or she can check for vaginal and/or cervical infection and determine if the IUD is properly situated, most likely in one visit.

Should it be removed? After you have been evaluated and treated for any infections, you may find that your symptoms go away. If the IUD is not properly positioned, it definitely should be removed, because it might not work! It would not be a good idea to remove one IUD because you think you are having a problem with it and pop in another IUD right away. What if you have the Mirena removed and the symptoms do not get better? You should probably use something other than an IUD for a few cycles to see what will happen. There are lots of choices besides birth control pills, remember.

Any GYN office should be able to get you in for a visit within a few days for a problem, so I cannot see being "always booked." Cancellations happen, too.

Do NOT have any sterilization procedure until you can honestly say to yourself that you never want to be pregnant again under ANY circumstances!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 8,239 times
I had the mirena for over a year. I had experienced very sharp cramping pain which in turn caused severe dizziness and have even passed out. It would come out the blue. my sex drive did decrease and found it cause my vaginal area to be very dry. I would also get very nauseated when the pains came. I had it removed in the same manor they put it in and all my problems cleared up. I just don't know if the cramping was caused by the iud itself or the medicine in it.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 8,085 times
I've had an IUD for a few years now, but as of last week I have been experiencing all the symptoms of a possible pregnancy. I took a test but it came out negative. I did have an ectopic almost 3 yrs ago. could I have gotten a false negative on the test? I have never experience what I am feeling now, even during my ectopic pregnancy. anyone have any suggestions????

Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngalvan22 View Post
I've had an IUD for a few years now, but as of last week I have been experiencing all the symptoms of a possible pregnancy. I took a test but it came out negative. I did have an ectopic almost 3 yrs ago. could I have gotten a false negative on the test? I have never experience what I am feeling now, even during my ectopic pregnancy. anyone have any suggestions????

What do you mean by "all the symptoms of a pregnancy"? Your doctor should be able to order a pregnancy test on a blood sample if you think the over the counter blood test might not be accurate.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 7,777 times
I have had mirena for a month now and i have been having radom painful cramps ever sence i have had it insearted....I just started to get light headack and been spotting... the only thing that i worry about is the painful cramping day after day.. idk if i should have it remove or what??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness