Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The way I see it is this:

ANYONE born in the 50 states, 5 territories, and 1 insular area that make up the United States of America is a native born plain old American pure and simple. They are not Irish-American, Italian-American, African-American, etc but AMERICAN. There is nothing foreign about them other then their last name and maybe a few old family traditions.

Anyone who is born elsewhere and then immigrates to the US IS an Irish-American, Indian-American, Mexican-American, etc.

The way I see it, it isn't up to you as to how people identify themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:

ANYONE born in the 50 states, 5 territories, and 1 insular area that make up the United States of America is a native born plain old American pure and simple. They are not Irish-American, Italian-American, African-American, etc but AMERICAN. There is nothing foreign about them other then their last name and maybe a few old family traditions.

Anyone who is born elsewhere and then immigrates to the US IS an Irish-American, Indian-American, Mexican-American, etc.

Here here!!!

Old 10-01-2010, 12:55 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:

Is that so you can stigmatize the immigrants when they're relatively powerless but then deny them their identity once they've been here a generation and start organizing into more powerful political interest groups?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:05 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Hate rhetoric? The hate rhetoric is the history of hatred directed at a succession of native, immigrant and enslaved people who were historically excluded from being "Real Americans™" and as a result, were forced to forge a separate identity in order to fight against "nativist" movements which attempted to exclude them from the American experience from the early 18th century to today.

Next question?
That does not make any sense. Exclusion is everywhere. Just look at the separate groups in America.
"Sons of the America Revolution" (Lineage societies)
Daughters of the American Revolution" (Lineage societies)
La Raza
NAACP

I could on and on

Why can Americans who's native flag is American celebrate who they are? Is that unAmerican to be unhyphenated American when thats my heritage

Old 10-01-2010, 08:21 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
as a patriotic unPC American, I am very upset with the mauling of English, this country's language.

What the hell does "the founding of this countrys descendants" mean? What strange foreign tongue are you mentally translating from?
What are you talking about?
The English in this country is called American English. What English do you want British English?

Old 10-01-2010, 10:00 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
The basic structure of an English sentence is the same in both American and British English.

Some of your posts have lacked such sentence structure.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Hate rhetoric? The hate rhetoric is the history of hatred directed at a succession of native, immigrant and enslaved people who were historically excluded from being "Real Americans™" and as a result, were forced to forge a separate identity in order to fight against "nativist" movements which attempted to exclude them from the American experience from the early 18th century to today.

Next question?
Yes, the whole long sequence of Nativist movements that surfaced in the U.S. in the 19th century and have existed in one way or another ever since. They played a very important role in national politics in the 19th century at one point.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
To be an unhyphenated American

your native flag & heritage must be American?
Growing up in the 1930's to the 1950's you would have found a very large percentage of Americans routinely defining themselves as hyphenated Americans, even in many cases when it was their grandparents who were the immigrants.

It was common, and among those many who used such labels it was done with pride. It honored your family's origin, their journey and your earned place in the new country.

I can remember in the 50's feeling a bit sad for those "Americans" who didn't or couldn't identify this way. I felt they were definitely missing part of being American.

If you have the opportunity to study the Hollywood films or the first half of the Twentieth Century or the radio serials, you will see that this is a widely represented theme in both.

With no respect intended toward the OP, in my obviously very dated view, the question is of no importance.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:

American citizens, certainly. But whether some of these people are also Irish-American, Italian-American, etc. is a matter of their upbringing and their feelings and their self-identification. It is their call - not mine, not yours.

Quote:
No, they are Irish, Mexican or whatever until they become citizens. When they are naturalized they are U.S. citizens, but whether they feel they have a hyphenated heritage and identity is not a matter of law.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
That does not make any sense. Exclusion is everywhere. Just look at the separate groups in America.
"Sons of the America Revolution" (Lineage societies)
Daughters of the American Revolution" (Lineage societies)
La Raza
NAACP
It isn't hard to understand that someone who would so ludicrously attempt to compare the exclusionary history of the DAR with a non-exclusionary history of the NAACP, would have problems with comprehension.

Quote:
Is that unAmerican to be unhyphenated American when thats my heritage
It is no more un-American than to self identify one's self with a hyphen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History