Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What was the most savage and brutal civilization in history?
Mongol Empire/Huns 35 22.88%
Ancient Egypt 1 0.65%
Aztec Empire 10 6.54%
Roman Empire 11 7.19%
Ancient Islamic caliphate 5 3.27%
Imperial Japan 15 9.80%
Nazi Germany 37 24.18%
Soviet Union 18 11.76%
modern Islamic Middle East (incl Taliban, Saudi Arabia, Iran) 13 8.50%
Communist China 6 3.92%
North Korea 2 1.31%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:16 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The people of this nation live better than they would have if those we conqured were still in charge.
unfortunately, i don't agree with you. this is because a better life is not just in the physical and artificial comforts but it's also intangibles like a sense of real community, heritage and culture. there is a price.

Quote:
By the way, the mere fact of maintaining social order according to custom does not constitute savagery, even if enforced by a few arrests. In no way can you call modern Afghans or Iranians "savages" on that basis alone.
i already stated that savagery is a broad subject. i was referring to some customs/practices as well as forms or nature of some laws/punishments as well as some cultural mores may be construed as savage to others. but more so, i was referring to historical but some aspects are still evident today, not just in islamic countries. it was just one example.

Quote:
All of these have something going for them, but I put Imperial Japan. It was definitely the most savage enemy the US has ever waged war against.
as far as this pathetic thread is concerned, the op seems to have started this thread conveniently biased and with limited poll choices of his choosing (there is not even an other option, for chrissakes) so he could plug japan as the most savage civilization (in all of history to boot? lol) just because it was the one who waged war against the US. of course, history begins and ends with whatever happens to the US. any slight or offense to the US is the most terrible thing that could have ever happened in history.

Last edited by rory00; 10-19-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 01:49 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
unfortunately, i don't agree with you. this is because a better life is not just in the physical and artificial comforts but it's also intangibles like a sense of real community, heritage and culture. there is a price.

i already stated that savagery is a broad subject. i was referring to some customs/practices as well as forms or nature of some laws/punishments as well as some cultural mores may be construed as savage to others. but more so, i was referring to historical but some aspects are still evident today, not just in islamic countries. it was just one example.

as far as this pathetic thread is concerned, the op seems to have started this thread conveniently biased and with limited poll choices of his choosing (there is not even an other option, for chrissakes) so he could plug japan as the most savage civilization (in all of history to boot? lol) just because it was the one who waged war against the US. of course, history begins and ends with whatever happens to the US. any slight or offense to the US is the most terrible thing that could have ever happened in history.
Yeah, what seems to be listed are particularly violent regimes or eras for certain nations, not really looking at the entire breath of history for civilizations...But just because Pol Pot was a psycho doesn't mean that the entire Cambodian or Khmer civilization is reflective of the Khmer Rouge era--most Cambodians were historically very peaceful Buddhists. The Japanese carried out atrocities during their expansionism in Asia in the 20th Centutry---but Japan was quite peaceful and isolationist for a extremely long period before that. I'd be hard pressed to look at the culture of Japan during the Edo Period and consider it savage. In debates like these, it usually boils down to the basic list of recent enemies for the US from the last century(with of course the Mongols and a few other historical entitites for good measure.)

Last edited by Deezus; 10-19-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 02:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
United States of America.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post

You need to read more.........
This is just one country that Japan inflicted its brutality on . Form 1939 to 1945 japan KILLED 2 million chinese soldiers,and 11.5 MILLION CIVILIANS.This does not include any figures from 1937 to 1939 when Japan initially invaded China.China and Japan were at war entirely with each other alone.This is just one country.They also occupied korea,the Philippines,Vietnam,and other asian countries.If we include all the countries they warred on the figures would be more staggering than China alone.The united Staes has some skeletons in its closet.However comparing them to the other countries or regiems listed is absurd.
I guess it is vogue now to demonize the united states. Perhaps it is not altogether insane to take some pride in America also...........After all,evil as we may be.....We made it possible to liberate these countries.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:08 AM

437 posts, read 792,772 times
The culture that did 9/11!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
This is just one country that Japan inflicted its brutality on . Form 1939 to 1945 japan KILLED 2 million chinese soldiers,and 11.5 MILLION CIVILIANS.This does not include any figures from 1937 to 1939 when Japan initially invaded China.China and Japan were at war entirely with each other alone.This is just one country.They also occupied korea,the Philippines,Vietnam,and other asian countries.If we include all the countries they warred on the figures would be more staggering than China alone.The united Staes has some skeletons in its closet.However comparing them to the other countries or regiems listed is absurd.
I guess it is vogue now to demonize the united states. Perhaps it is not altogether insane to take some pride in America also...........After all,evil as we may be.....We made it possible to liberate these countries.
willful ignorance as well as biased interpretation is bad character. it's been already stated that this poll's pretense is all of human history and you just mention japan and comparing it to the united states. that's not even a legitimate interpretation on it's own because the united states committed genocide and slavery of massive proportions too!!! anyone can do some good once they get the power and got all that out of their system! even japan sends money to africa and does charity now! how hard headed and myopic can someone be, history is not just this century or the last one in our recent memory that directly affected our lives! you still do not get it, even if japan affected countries besides the united states, the idea that they were the "most" savage in history is ludicrous as well as some "regimes" on that list in comparison to so many throughout history!

you are the one who is so narcissistic to think someone is picking on america when this poll is biased to begin with and using america as the judge and jury. you should be ashamed of yourself and so should the poll starter!

Quote:
YOU need to develop some honest character or intellectual integrity as well as read more of history!

Last edited by rory00; 10-20-2010 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 04:43 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
In debates like these, it usually boils down to the basic list of recent enemies for the US from the last century(with of course the Mongols and a few other historical entitites for good measure.)
If that's the case, then why do the USSR, Imperial Japan, North Korea, and current Islamic states in the Middle East and South Asia rank so low in the poll, and why do not only the Mongols but also the Aztec and Roman empires rank so high?

There are some dictatorships which were friendly to the US who could qualify for this poll and were not mentioned, like Suharto's Indonesia or many of the Central American dictatorships.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
What was the most savage civlization in history?

Well, back in the early 1800's, Mormons were well known for attacking wagon trains so they could plunder the goods. They often times donned indian war apparel, killed every man, woman and child and stole everything useful in the wagon train. They left the wounded to die unaided. Among others, this behavior was chronicled by Mark Twain.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
There is no other culture that has the crime rate we have, and that's violent crimes, not the other types of crime.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:50 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
We dropped atomic bombs on two of their cities, and firebombed many others killing countless civilians. We conducted unrestricted submarine warfare against their shipping even thought they didn't. We interned American citizens of Japanese descent who were living in our borders. But yeah, they are the savage ones....

BTW why do we always honor heroes who die for our country but think that people who die for theirs are crazy fanatics? Didn't someone say, "Give me liberty, or give me death!"?
PEople were not killed in Japanese internment camps like in the Nazi concentration camps. Also the Japanese were VERY brutal to captured POW such as the Bataan death march in the Philippines, and regularly tortured and murdered POWs. This is why there were war crimes trials in Tokyo just like in Nuremburg. The militarist culture of Japan was extremely brutal, and my definition of Imperial Japan includes the samurai days all the way to 1945 and their defeat in Nagasaki. We had no chocie but to use the atomic bombs to end the war. If Germany hadn't been defeated by then we probably would have used it on them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History