Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 02:02 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times

Advertisements

Ive often wondered with Scotland having the famous River Clyde why not many if any scots children have the name.. I cant seem to find any but did find this. and apart from the infamous Clyde Chestnut Barrow , it was a popular name in the US in the thirties. do any of you know anyone with the name...

Even though in the past Clyde may have been identified as half of the infamous outlaw duo with partner Bonnie Parker--especially after the 1967 movie in which he was played by Warren Beatty-- Clyde has always had an element of jazzy cool that could overcome all the rest. The name relates to the River Clyde that runs through the city of Glasgow. It was a Top 100 name in the US through the 1930s.

Clive Griffiths was the doomed protaganist of Theodore Dreiser's novel "An American Tragedy"--though his name was changed to George in the film. In the field of sports, basketball Hall of Famer--and later Dancing With the Stars participant-- Clyde Drexler was known as Clyde the Slide, and Walt Frazier's nickname was Clyde. Catherine Keener and Dermot Mulroney have a son named Clyde.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 04:44 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Ive often wondered with Scotland having the famous River Clyde why not many if any scots children have the name.

Well...how often do people name their kids after rivers? How many people here do you know named Mississippi or Ohio or Monongahela? How many Egyptian's are named Nile? How many Chinese are called Yangtze?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 AM

no I know that hahahah but John Waynes dad was Clyde, as was the famous robber, and it says many kids in the US in the 30s had the name... all I meant... oh and some big movie celebs son is Clyde.. look at these and not one from Scotland as far as I see. some homework was needed here ."Riviere des Ha Ha!"

CLYDE DREXLER, Hall of Fame basketball player
CLYDE LOVELLETTE, Hall of Fame basketball player
CLYDE TURNER, Hall of Fame football player
CLYDE ABRAHAMS, 2008 Olympic athlete - South Africa - Hockey
CLYDE BARFOOT, baseball player
CLYDE BARNHART, baseball player
CLYDE BARROW, Criminal
CLYDE BECK, baseball player
CLYDE BEST, professional soccer player
CLYDE CONNELL, 20th century artist
CLYDE CONNER, football player
CLYDE DICKEY, basketball player
CLYDE EDWARDS, football player
CLYDE ENGLE, baseball player
CLYDE GLOSSON, football player
CLYDE GOODWIN, baseball player
CLYDE HATTER, baseball player
CLYDE C. HOLLOWAY, Politician
CLYDE KING, baseball player
CLYDE KLUTTZ, baseball player
CLYDE LEWIS, Radio Personality
CLYDE LOGAN, football player
CLYDE MANION, baseball player
CLYDE MASHORE, baseball player
CLYDE MAYES, basketball player
CLYDE MCCULLOUGH, baseball player
CLYDE MILAN, baseball player
CLYDE R. MOORE, Business
CLYDE SHOUN, baseball player
CLYDE SIMMONS, football player
CLYDE SIMMS, soccer player
CLYDE HAROLD SMITH, Politician
CLYDE SOUTHWICK, baseball player
CLYDE SUKEFORTH, baseball player
CLYDE TOLSON, Government
CLYDE VOLLMER, baseball player
CLYDE WRIGHT, baseball player

Celebrities with CLYDE as a last name:

Last edited by dizzybint; 07-05-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 08:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I can't help but notice that a hefty percentage of the Clydes on that list played baseball (which, incidentally, puts me in mind of would-be phenom pitcher David Clyde). I wonder why that is?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:33 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post

Clive Griffiths was the doomed protaganist of Theodore Dreiser's novel "An American Tragedy"--though his name was changed to George in the film.
That was a great literature... and in the book the name of the main character was Clyde (Griffiths) as far as I remember.
I never watched the movie...

Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 AM

oh really, I didnt know that about the book..... I just wondered why we have no Clyde christian names in Glasgow, read about how many in the US in the 30s for some reason... and now as someone has pointed out the sport most in.. now how was that... your named long before the sport you take up.. weird one....Just reading there that Clyde Tolson, FBI was Edgar Hoovers right hand man who he left everything to when he died...Im just reading about Clyde from Bonnie and Clyde notoriety.. on the list as Clyde Barrow, his middle name was Chestnut.. just thought Id throw that in ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History