Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,270,446 times

Advertisements

Like the movie Amistad...

It would be difficult, and I don't really see the point. The important thing is that it happened, and that the whole business of slavery was inhumane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 09:57 AM

12,966 posts, read 13,757,430 times
You can buy those things from dealers, make sure they are reputable. There were slave ships entering the US up till at least 1858. Artifacts from that date can be still be found. Since the point of origin for many slave ships were not the US You may have to learn about the iron trade and blacksmithing of that period if that thing interest you . I have seen a pair along with a "cat of nine tails" a friend of mine has.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,870,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 803andy View Post
Interesting.

Also, I always wondered if there are still any sunken slave ships out there. What a find that would be...
There's the Henrietta Marie, which as I understand it, sunk after leaving the slaves at their destination. The crew went down with the ship, and a lot of shackles have been depicted by wreck-divers. That's the only one I know of.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:51 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,246,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Like the movie Amistad...
There was a lot of inaccuracy in that film, particularly regarding the Christian symbology.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,246,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You can buy those things from dealers, make sure they are reputable.
Umm...no...you cannot buy slaves from dealers these days, at least not legally.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM

31,354 posts, read 22,335,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Depends on where you’re at and what constitutes slavery in modern terms. It's still exists.

10 shocking facts about global slavery in 2008 | Matador Network

Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 PM

79,037 posts, read 61,188,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
There are 100,000+ plus slaves in the US right now sadly.

Mostly sex trade with chinese and russian bosses.

They broke up a ring not 4 miles from my house a few years ago. I hope the perps suffer and are then fried.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:21 AM

88,982 posts, read 85,515,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 803andy View Post
Interesting.

Also, I always wondered if there are still any sunken slave ships out there. What a find that would be...
I think there are. I know I read something some years ago about black teenagers being taken on dives to such wrecks as part of a history program.

Also, as regards the OP's question, if you read Edward Ball's book, Slaves In The Family, about tracking down the descendants of his ancestors slaves, he mentions an incident where a slave-ship sea captain was fined heavily for throwing his dead cargo overboard too close to shore. There were apparently laws stating that you had to be a certain distance out to sea when you threw dead people overboard. In this partcular case, dead Africans were washing up on the beach in Charleston's port, affecting the quality of life of the good citizens who dwelt therein, and he had to pay a fine and clean up his "mess".

It was somewhat horrifying to read of this matter-of-fact, legal treatment of "cargo", people who died because of the cruelty of the slave trade. I recall that the author says, "I shoveled their graves in the sand in my dreams."

Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 AM

355 posts, read 1,193,143 times
Who would want to dump sick slaves unless they were terminal?
Blacks were dumped at the sight of British man of war.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,337,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Who would want to dump sick slaves unless they were terminal?
Blacks were dumped at the sight of British man of war.
Fear of disease was a major issue. This applied to earlier transport of convicts as well (especially with gaol fever indemic in British prisons) and immigration. The sick were isolated and sometimes dumped before they died. Disease then was the fault of 'bad airs' and other non-medical causes but they knew diseases spread some way. There was frequently no treatment. Ships, no matter who the cargo, were routinely overcrowded because of the expectation that a certain percentage wouldn't make it. The overcrowding added to the disease.

If a group of cargo was sick and another group of cargo was not, it would not be unthinkable for a ships captain to dump them if it might keep the rest alive. When ships hauled bodies across the sea for sale it was an economic consideration, not a humanitarian one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History