Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 09:18 PM

915 posts, read 2,129,367 times

Advertisements

Hi: I'm putting together a book based on 400 letters my dad wrote my mother during his experiences as a navagator and bombadier during WWII. It occurred to me this evening to look at this old family Bible my mother left me, and there is tons of information in the back, in her hand.

The material related to my father's service record follows. If anyone could tell me what this means, I would appreciate it:

Aerial gunner – Air Offensive:
Europe – Normandy, GO33WD45
Rhineland Ardennes, GO40WD45
Northern France, GO46WD45
Central Europe, GO48WD45
Serial #18-129-687
Citations:
EAME Service ribbon with Silver Star
Presidential Unit Citation
Star & 1 Bronze Service Star
Air Medal GO31Hq. BD45 & four Oak Leaf Clusters
Good Conduct Medal, 598 Bomb Sq. (9th Air Force)
Continental Service: 1 year, 9 mos, 14 days
Foreign Service: 1 year, 6 mos, 13 days
Reason for separation: demobilization
Separation center: Camp Chaffee, Ark – Oct. 13, 1945

I understand the last two lines, of course. Was he in four battles? And are the citations formatted correctly, so that I put them in the book.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 02:31 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
GO33WD45 stands for "General Order Number 33, War Department, 1945. That number was used to geographically locate a specific campaign and defined which ones he got credit for. It doesn't have anything to do with the number of battles he was in, but more accurately how many geographic areas/campaigns he was assigned too.

It looks like he was pretty much involved all the way through D-Day on Normandy up until the the capture of Berlin.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:02 PM

>> GO33WD45 stands for "General Order Number 33, War Department, 1945. That number was used to geographically locate a specific campaign and defined which ones he got credit for. It doesn't have anything to do with the number of battles he was in, but more accurately how many geographic areas/campaigns he was assigned too.

Yes, thank you. There's a guy who has an elaborate page dedicated to the B-26 Mauraders;

Martin B-26 Marauder Man information at B26.COM.

and he told me this morning just what you said. Every time dad went out, it was a battle, but those designation are campaigns.

>> It looks like he was pretty much involved all the way through D-Day on Normandy up until the the capture of Berlin.

That's good to know. Probably it would be smart for me to, not just transcribe the letters and scan the graphics (letterheads, drawings, etc.), but to actually know something about the history of WWII. Your remarks are helpful, thank you.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post

>> It looks like he was pretty much involved all the way through D-Day on Normandy up until the the capture of Berlin.

That's good to know. Probably it would be smart for me to, not just transcribe the letters and scan the graphics (letterheads, drawings, etc.), but to actually know something about the history of WWII. Your remarks are helpful, thank you.
Glad to be of some help! I'd be very interested in reading your book, heck, I've done professional proof reading before and would be willing to help you out there.

There should be a list somewhere of the exact geographic areas those Campaigns were in. Once you've figured that out you can start working on individual battles. You'll need to do that by finding the records of which airplanes he was assigned too (usually by serial number,) then from there you can start narrowing it down to specific battles.

Since he was in Europe, he was most likely assigned to a B-17 or B-24 squadron. You may get lucky and find someone who was a crew mate.

Just a word of warning, any information you find via official records is not going to be 100% accurate. Records were not exactly high priority during the war and you may find some things that contradict each other. I would probably go ahead and take everything on face value unless it's obviously out of whack though.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:58 AM

B-26 Mauraders. I'm just wanting to make sure I have some notion about the historical data, as I transcribe the letters. I just wondered what all that meant.

I also have the following, copied out of the back of mother's Bible she left when she passed away. I don't think it's really formatted in a way I could list it in a book. Could you help with that? This is what I have:

Citations:

Old 05-28-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Citations:
These are the medals that he won.

EAME Service Ribbon - European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Presidential Unit Citation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preside...(United_States) - This is where you'll need to find out what unit he was attached too.

Service Stars - Service star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia My guess is that they were awarded to him "for meritorious participation in battle, or for having suffered damage during battle conditions" which was what they were used for in WWII. A silver is five bronze, so my guess is that six times the airplane he was in was damaged.

Air Medal - Air Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should take a look at this .Gov site for more info: Start Your Military Service Record (DD Form 214) Request Perhaps there are more particulars in his official records. Also, Veterans' Service Records

Quote:
I assume that Continental Service means he served in the US for 1 year, 9 months, 14 days (probably during training.) And then served overseas for another 1 year, 6 months, 13 days. So he had a total of just over 3 years of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History