Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:16 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How do most mainstream Egyptologist view his work? What has Zahi Hawass said bout him?
Mainstream Egyptologist, along with Zahi Hawass, view John West as a radical because John West (along with others such as Graham Hancock) believe that Egypt is MUCH older then what Egyptologist currently believe. For example, John West believes that the Sphinx is at least 10-15,000 years old.

See, this is a huge problem because if the Sphinx is truly this old, it means that history needs to be rewritten and the field of Egyptology is a total sham.

John Anthony West - The Mystery of the Sphinx

John Anthony West - The Mystery of the Sphinx - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 07:00 PM

74 posts, read 122,540 times
They had some religiously too. Some Greeks even began to worship the Egyptian goddess Isis. The saint's name Isidore and its feminine form Isidora, which mean "gift of Isis", come out of that.

And don't trust that Islamofascist jerk Zahi Hawass. He thinks archaeology is no place for women and won't let other Egyptians (especially Muslim Egyptians) participate.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I find it sad that someone can't ask a legitimate question, and an important one, without people reading something racial into it.
You obviously haven't had much exposure or familiarity with the Afrocentric debates. The topic of Egyptian influence on Greece is fine to discuss, unless of course there is an ulterior motive to the discussion like the theories put forward in Black Athena. My question was to simply clarify what point of Egyptian influence we are discussing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
This happens because Egypt is in AFRICA and modern people don't want to believe that ancient African people had anything to do with influencing Western culture.
No, it is not a desire to ignore the fact that Egpyt is in Africa or minimize Egyptian accomplishment or influence because it is an African nation. It is a desire to avoid falling into the Afrocentric racial trap that serves to "black wash" history as a response to the efforts over hundreds of years by Europeans to "white wash" the same. To me and I have said this in several threads on these kinds of topics, the physical apperance of ancient people whether they are Egpytian, Greek or Olmec has little bearing on the discussion of their accomplishments or their culture. Attempting to force modern racial concepts upon ancient cultures is a pointless pursuit.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:08 PM

55 posts, read 62,955 times
durrr

Old 08-19-2012, 02:18 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Is this going to turn into another Afrocentric debate replete with YouTube lectures all from the same group of people and endless quotes from Martin Bernal's, Black Athena?
only if you turn it into one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You were a little vague in your OP as to exactly what you are getting at. Personally, I could care less what the genetic and "racial" pedigree of the Greeks or Egyptians were as that discussion is very tainted by modern concepts of race and people trying to "prove their pedigree".
"Vague"? I thought the OP was pretty straightforward.
Did you see anything there about "genetic and 'racial' pedigree"? There's nothing in the OP to indicate an afro-centric debate was intended. As I see it, it's an open inquiry into the possibility of any and all Egyptian influences on Greece. Projecting, much??

Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
only if you turn it into one.

"Vague"? I thought the OP was pretty straightforward.
Did you see anything there about "genetic and 'racial' pedigree"? There's nothing in the OP to indicate an afro-centric debate was intended. As I see it, it's an open inquiry into the possibility of any and all Egyptian influences on Greece. Projecting, much??
You're re-quoting my original statements. I clarified the reason for the question not even a couple of posts above your last one where I said:

Quote:
You obviously haven't had much exposure or familiarity with the Afrocentric debates. The topic of Egyptian influence on Greece is fine to discuss, unless of course there is an ulterior motive to the discussion like the theories put forward in Black Athena. My question was to simply clarify what point of Egyptian influence we are discussing.
I was merely seeking clarification on what the OP was trying to get at. Go back and look at all of the "Afrocentric" threads that have been brought up and they all started out inocuously, much like this one did. At the same time for questioning the motives I simultaneously provided a real response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History