Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 04:16 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
After this latest security breach of credit cards of Target customers, I must add that this just did not exist in the 1980's. The same online technology that makes things convenient for us also makes it easier for the hackers and ID thieves out there. I paid cash the last time I was at Target...thank goodness. I was really sorry to hear it happened to them as they are a very good company that gives a lot to charity. In short, that was not a concern in the 1980's.
I was thinking about that last night. We had a beautiful sunset. I went out with the cell phone and took maybe fifteen pictures, with the different colors and from different angles. I'll edit out the ones that didn't work. But when I had a camera with film I would have thought if I wanted to use up a roll of film on a sunset. Now, I can take as many as I want.

We've gone picture happy since digital became widely available and I think that's a nice thing. In the 80's, we still had to use regular phones to call people and couldn't text, so you couldn't call on a whim 24/7. Of course it was in the 80's that I got my first computer and started typing out messages on a board. They were local bbs's and most people didn't have home computers, but that's when I learned to love message boards. We even had our own board. I was secutary of the local sysops club. So the technology was there, just not fully developed. The company I worked for in the early 80's was using monitors which essencially hooked all their online customers into one system, and there was internal debate on if they should use full computers with downloads of their informaton or net access.

As for debit cards, I check my account daily. All I have to do is click on a link on the site and my card instantly is cancelled. Once bitten...

The interesting thing about the eighties was it was the beginning of this great change, but it doesn't feel that different to me since even then we retired to the computer room to play on the pc's. I think we got our first cell phone in 88.

I worked as a business programmer for a couple of years too, and this was when it was really impressive and oddly for some reason everyone thought you must be really good at math.

I think what defined the 80's was that the seventies were a time when people were just tired, and wanted things calm and light and relaxed. And by the 80's things were moving towards the opposite again.

Of course, most of what we do we did then. We've just added more to it.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:33 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
In the 1980's, if you wanted information you had to actually travel to a library and look it up in a book. Now it's available instantly on the Net. Admittedly though, I still enjoy perusing the books at the local library.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:45 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
The '80s were the last decade before the deadening oppression of political correctness started to cast a dark pall over our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History