Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 AM

823 posts, read 1,973,726 times

Advertisements

A part of ethnic German people have black hair and dark skin (white skin, but darker than the average white), due to centuries of history of different folks migrating and mixed intercourse.

So I wonder if this kind of people felt any second-class treatment during the nazi regime. I wonder if there are any historical records about it?

And the same case in South Africa, during the Apartheid. The white people there comes mainly from England and Holland; But not everybody in England and Holland is blond with blue eyes, there's dark skinned people as well . How was life for them during the Apartheid regime?

I guess it's difficult to investigate this matter during the nazis, because it's been long ago, but the South African Apartheid ended in 1994, so there should be lots of people who can tell the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
I understand the Nazis gave second class treatment to this dark haired fellow...

Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 AM

823 posts, read 1,973,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I understand the Nazis gave second class treatment to this dark haired fellow...

I always found it paradoxic. First of all, Hitler was brunette and Austrian, and lead Germany to a racial holocaust, where Scandinavian types of people were supposed to be superior than brunettetypes.

So I wonder how a brunette nazi soldier felt in countries like Denmark,or Norway, is not a bit weird?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 AM

337 posts, read 929,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
A part of ethnic German people have black hair and dark skin (white skin, but darker than the average white), due to centuries of history of different folks migrating and mixed intercourse.

So I wonder if this kind of people felt any second-class treatment during the nazi regime. I wonder if there are any historical records about it?
I'm unaware of any Nazi strictures against such people. What mattered to the Nazis was ancestry, not complexion. And "dark" Germans aren't exactly rare.

But here's something else: Nazi ideology was deeply anti-Slavic, yet lots of Germans, and even more so Austrians, have Slavic ancestry. There are examples of Nazis who had Slavic surnames. To my knowledge, these people were not persecuted, but they might have had trouble getting into elite units like the SS (where you had to prove "purity of Germanic ancestry").

Old 01-26-2013, 09:59 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Most of the NSDAP's inner circle were overwhelmingly dark complected with dark brown to black hair.

One of the exceptions to this was Reinhard Heydrich second in command of the SS under Himmler Heydrich was nicknamed "" the blond beast "" Having this nickname only proves that the majority of the Nazi party was darker skinned with dark hair as it compares to the relatively few blond haired lighter skinned counterparts.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:51 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
I think other features were more important. Still, it is rather ironic that Hitler, Himmler and Goebbels (dark hair, brown eyes, 165 cm/5'5½") did not live up to their Aryan ideal.

The Norwegian PM during the Nazi occupation, Vidkun Qusling, had a typical Aryan look (blonde, blue eyes, tall). Henry Oliver Rinnan (the very short guy in the middle), on the other hand, did not fit the racial profile at all. He is the second most famous Nazi collaborator (after Qusling) here in Norway. He brutally tortured hundreds of Norwegians and killed at least 80 people. It is said that Rinnan was the most important non-German that Himmler had in Northern Europe. Both Qusling and Rinnan were executed after war.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I think other features were more important. Still, it is rather ironic that Hitler, Himmler and Goebbels (dark hair, brown eyes, 165 cm/5'5½") did not live up to their Aryan ideal.
You forgot that other strapping example of German manhood, Herman Goering.

But I will be damned if Heydrich didn't come from central casting...

Old 01-26-2013, 01:43 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
A lot of Germans and Nazi's had partial Jewish ancestry too. By partial, I mean one-fourth or one-eight. They just didn't admit it. As long as a Nazi looked blonde hair, blue eyes, they could get by without suspicion.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,252 times
There was at one time a female beauty contest called The English Rose. The contestants were all blue-eyed,fair-haird,rosy-cheeked. Nobody thought of this as being racial. Of course in those days we also had the Black and White Minstrel Show on BBC TV,and nobody took issue with this. Of course this was all before the rise of PC.

Or maybe it was because Hitler took the racial line he did that people did not want things to continue as they were.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:04 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post

The Norwegian PM during the Nazi occupation, Vidkun Qusling, had a typical Aryan look (blonde, blue eyes, tall). Henry Oliver Rinnan (the very short guy in the middle), on the other hand, did not fit the racial profile at all. He is the second most famous Nazi collaborator (after Qusling) here in Norway. He brutally tortured hundreds of Norwegians and killed at least 80 people. It is said that Rinnan was the most important non-German that Himmler had in Northern Europe. Both Qusling and Rinnan were executed after war.
And here's another high profile guy with black hair for the list,

File:Bundesarchiv Bild 183-J03238, Roland Freisler.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roland Freisler was a very public figure, as the famous judge of "Volksgerichtshof" or Peoples Court of Nazi Germany. He also flirted with communism during WW1 when he was prisoner in a Russian POW camp. He learned how to speak Russian, and they gave him a leadership position in the camp, as commissar of food distribution. He was reported to have been sympathetic to the Bolsheviks and communist philosophy for a short time after WW1, before he later joined the Nazi's. Hiter even referred to him as "That old Bolshevik" when Goebbels recommended him to replace Fraz Gurtner as Reich Minister of Justice. Hitler said no but it was only a year later they made him head of the Peoples Court.

That's why they lost the war, not enough blonde supermen leading the way, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History