Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,932,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
I'm just tryin' to help you out, bro. You've been expressing some pretty left-wing views on this thread lately (this has also been noticed by others, by the way). I also noticed that you live near Hollywood (this could be a contributing factor). We just have to nip this in the bud. I'm sorry if this stings you a little, but consider it "tough love."
Fleet left wing?? Please...

Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Fleet left wing?? Please...
I think he is joshing me!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
So I'm pretty sure everyone is in agreement that the 50's were NOT as perfect as everyone says they were?

(BTW, who is this "everyone"? Because everyone I know, even those who lived during the time weren't HUGE fans of that time period)

Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
Pito, get over the November 6 election result already. It has been over three months now. The majority of Americans voted for Obama and they should NOT have to apologize for exercising their voting rights. Get over it and move on. You can also call me a left wing fanatic if that helps you get over it, but I am a sensible moderate. Now you got a taste of your online bullying aimed in your direction. How does it feel? There are several different views on the various decades of the past and we should try to respect them.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Being here in Texas during the 1950's while being me, I know there are several things I couldn't do then that I can do now.

Let's just leave it at that...
Okay. But only if you'll accept that there were plenty of things folks could do then that they can't do now.

It's not all about any one individual. It's about society as a whole. The past 60 years have meant gains and losses for all of us.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The politically correct answer is to say no, today is much better. Most of what characterized the fifties is as politically incorrect as you can get in 2013. If you were a minority or homosexual, then yes, today is better. The America of the fifties though was not today's America. America was far more white and Christian in that era than it is today and for that majority, it was indeed a blissful time.
thank you,this is exactly what I have been saying: yes it was a wonderful time in our country. Blissful is a great way of putting it. People who are talking about things like, the 60s is when young became aware of the unfairness is correct as well, and yes, many moms stayed home in the 50s, but what were had never experienced didn't bother us. We were happy. Could we or should we go back? No and I don't think anyone wants to return but that doesn't mean it was wonderful. Heck, most of us, today are lost if our computers are down for a few hours, but do you really think, 30 years ago this would have bothered us? Of course not, we didn't even know how to use them..Most of us didn't know what they were.

I do wish we could return to the days when people respected authority. I wish there wasn't so mcuh "in your face" sex on TV and I wish kids would stay kids longer. I would love to see them outside riding thier bikes, I wish they were taught that the world does not revolve around them and life is full of conpetition and yes, sorry, as well as success. And I wish more people would remember the words from Greenwoods song : I am proud to be an American" This is how we felt in the 50s, many of us still do, "the land of the free"

Last edited by nmnita; 02-10-2013 at 04:55 AM..

Old 02-10-2013, 04:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
So I'm pretty sure everyone is in agreement that the 50's were NOT as perfect as everyone says they were?

(BTW, who is this "everyone"? Because everyone I know, even those who lived during the time weren't HUGE fans of that time period)
Oh heavens, I don't know what crowd you run with or who you talk to and of course the term "everyone" is used as a generalization, but people who lived in the 50s do think it was the greatest decade on earth. I could say the opposite, of what you are saying and I did live it; I don't know a person that doesn't think so. This doesn't mean we want to return to the 50s, it does mean it had more positives than negatives.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:21 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Just based on his character, I'm guessing Eisenhower would have been repelled by the current idea that the president can order the killing of American citizens without due process of law. His VP would likely have thought it a grand thing.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:49 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Just based on his character, I'm guessing Eisenhower would have been repelled by the current idea that the president can order the killing of American citizens without due process of law. His VP would likely have thought it a grand thing.

And do you want to compare THAT thinking to today! We have an incompetent president and a embarrassingly inept VP. RE-elected. Kinda' gives credence to the definition of insanity. Bet you $$$ the majority of us who experienced the 50's didn't vote for them.

Next?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:06 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,195 times
The fiftys: Wasn't that the era where dudes and chicks ran around a carnival singing about how they will always be together, the era when you don't know the words you just filled it in with phrases like
" shoo bop shoo wadda wadda yipitty boom de boom" Leather coats, mini skirts, hot cars? Yep Im down with that. Back then if your Juke box didn't work, you just called the coolest dude out of his bathroom, and he would snap his finger or smack it, and WALA (shoobady boom de dop) it would work. Just a clue to some of you, if you did not live in the 70s and watch TV and Movies, move on, you will have no idea what Im talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History