Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 02:11 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times

Advertisements

With Jefferson, the subject is probably more about understanding the extent to which he was extraordinary than it is a discussion of his being human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 09:26 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,775,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
When is this thread going to reveal the "shocking facts" about Jefferson?

So far, all I've seen is stuff that's well known.
Believe it or not, people who don't follow history might find some of the facts shocking. Some of my friends couldn't believe that a president -- let alone one as popular and revered as Jefferson -- could actually be introverted.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I will always look at his accomplishments and realize that he was a human being and wasn't perfect. NO ONE WAS (bar one). If you know of someone that was, please let me know.
Good point. And Jefferson's decision to flee Virginia when the British invaded -- he was governor at the time -- was certainly not one of his finest moments.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM

331 posts, read 381,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Good point. And Jefferson's decision to flee Virginia when the British invaded -- he was governor at the time -- was certainly not one of his finest moments.
Agreed.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
With Jefferson, the subject is probably more about understanding the extent to which he was extraordinary than it is a discussion of his being human.
I think many people venerate the Founding Fathers-- T.J. included-- as if they were infallible. The history books are especially guilty of this.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
When is this thread going to reveal the "shocking facts" about Jefferson?

So far, all I've seen is stuff that's well known.
They're well known to you, but others who need a crash course in history might benefit from these fun facts. And trust me -- there are a lot of people out there who can't even tell you who the third president was.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:39 PM

It's interesting that the only state admitted to the union while he served in office was Oklahoma.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 PM

331 posts, read 381,985 times
Wordsmith, I think you're mixing Jefferson with Teddy. Wrong president!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, people who don't follow history might find some of the facts shocking. Some of my friends couldn't believe that a president -- let alone one as popular and revered as Jefferson -- could actually be introverted.
It helps if you understand what an introvert is. I don't mean the popular notion, I mean the psychological makeup of an introvert.

The Myers-Briggs type indicator begins with either E or I - extrovert or introvert - and you would be surprised at how many truly successful people begin with I.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:41 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
Quote:
Are you referring to Tarleton's raid on Charlottesville (and Monticello)? Charlottesville was serving as the capital of Virginia at that time, the British having taken sporadic control of much of the eastern part of the state. Fortunately, Virginian Jack Jouett overheard some British soldiers discussing their plans in Cuckoo Tavern, about 45 miles away. Jack sneaked out the back door, mounted his horse (Sally), and rode through briars and brambles and woods in the darkness, arriving at Monticello in time to give warning. It's said he bore the scars of that wild ride for the rest of his life. Jefferson hurriedly left, giving instructions to head butler Isaac, who hastily began storing silver and other family treasures in a secret cellar accessed through a trap door in the floor above.

Jefferson got away - but when Banastre Tarleton's Green Dragoons arrived, Isaac was in the storage cellar. Another slave (unidentified as far as I know, other than being a young man) hastily dropped the trap door, rearranged the rug over it, and answered the door, leaving Isaac trapped below for the long hours that Tarleton's raiders remained. Tarleton's men ransacked Monticello but didn't put it to the torch, thankfully - but they did manage to capture many members of the Virginia Legislature, including Daniel Boone, in nearby Charlottesville.

I don't think this episode qualifies as "not one of (Jefferson's) finest moments". Had he remained at Monticello, Jefferson certainly would have been captured, possibly executed, and at best would have remained a prisoner of war for the duration.

The course of American history would have been different without the bravery of Jack Jouett, known as "Virginia's Paul Revere".

After the Revolution, Jouett moved to central Kentucky and settled on a land grant awarded to him for his courageous actions during the war. Here he married and raised a large family, including noted portrait artist Matthew Jouett. His small rural house is nicely restored and open to the public on weekends during three seasons of the year.

Too bad Longfellow never wrote about Jack Jouett...

Last edited by CraigCreek; 08-20-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History