Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:59 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times

Advertisements

PS to Travelling fella -

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I'll try and keep my mouth shut.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 04:14 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Whats really sad is that the German Military High command allowed Hitler and his Nazi Henchmen to overtake the Government and eventually control the Military itself. Those Generals with their Prussian bloodlines should've known better and arrested him and the other Nazi's as they had planned before Poland was invaded.

Yeap he turned Prussian Generals to puppets.....

Good points LordBalfor......

Old 01-03-2008, 01:04 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Though the countries mentioned in the original post did indeed contribute to the victory over the Axis (and are generally overlooked in that regard), the vast majority of the credit for the defeat of Germany actually belongs to the USSR, and the overwhelming credit for the defeat of Japan resides with the US. Don't get me wrong, it WAS a group effort, but those two countries are the ones most responsible for the victories.
Now, hold on there. Nobody, let alone I, would downplay the Soviet contribution. No nation suffered as much as they did and their contribution was immense.

But let's consider a few things.

The USSR collaborated with Germany. They attacked Poland together and divided the country up between them. Their pact, coupled with the fact that Stalin had previously purged and executed his best officers, forced the USSR into a state of military incompetence. So the great Soviet sacrifice was partly necessary not due to nobility but rather to shooting themselves in the foot.

The USSR fought pretty much only on the Eastern Front. They did not fight the Japanese until the last week of the war when Japan had already been nuked. They did not fight in North Africa. So they did not have to project their power around the world as the other Allies had to do. Countries like Canada, Australia, NZ, India, etc had forces all over the world. The Soviets fought mostly in their own back yard.

Finally, the USSR received a huge amount of help from the Allies vis a vis food and supplies.

Again, my hat if off to them. But had their role been similiar to ours, they would have been crushed.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Moth,

True enough, but can't see how any of that negates my statement. They were not suited to our role and we were not suited to their's

Ken

Old 01-03-2008, 01:46 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Not negating it. Rather qualifying it a bit.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:07 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
I don't think it follows that just because a bunch of Mexicans joined the American military, or that Mexico decided not to incur the wrath of the rest of the continent by allowing Germany to establish bases, that MEXICO as a nation had anything significant to do with an allied victory in WWII. I don't buy it. Mexicans? Yes, lots of them fought bravely. Mexico? No.

Last edited by and the; 01-06-2008 at 02:20 PM..

Old 01-14-2008, 11:56 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Firstly give credit to the UK and also the US for constant bombing (b-52's) of the germany's factories which churned out the war materials and weaponry for Germany .
A slight (friendly) correction if I may!!!! B17, B24, B25 and British Lancaster,Halifax. were the long and Med range platforms of the period. B52 were develpoed in the 50's and are still in use today

Old 01-14-2008, 12:01 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
A slight (friendly) correction if I may!!!! B17, B24, B25 and British Lancaster,Halifax. were the long and Med range platforms of the period. B52 were develpoed in the 50's and are still in use today
Thanks for pointing that out of my mistake....my54ford....
I'll take todays dufus award.....lol...

6/3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History