Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
People like James Eastland of Mississippi switched to the GOP.
Yet more historical revisionism by liberal freaks.
"During [James Eastland of Mississippi] last Senate term, he served as President pro tempore of the Senate since he was the longest-serving Democrat in the Senate."
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Richard Shelby of Alabama was one of the last to formally switch.
Shelby was not a member of Congress until 1978, 14 years after the bigoted Democrats filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He only became a Republican in 1994 after the GOP victory that kicked his sorry butt into the minority. More than 300 Democrats, including northern Democrats, would jump ship between December 1994 and December 1995 after the Republican Party became the majority party in Congress.

So all your lies cannot change the fact that the Democratic Party is the national party of bigots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technev View Post
I don't know much about American history, but were lynchings common in the 50s or earlier? If so, were all nonwhites (like Arabs, Indians etc.) targeted or only the black folks?
The last lynching to have occurred in the USA is said to have happened in the 1980s.

If you consider the James Byrd incident hate crime of 1998 to be a lynching then it would be 1998.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Yet more historical revisionism by liberal freaks.
"During [James Eastland of Mississippi] last Senate term, he served as President pro tempore of the Senate since he was the longest-serving Democrat in the Senate."
Shelby was not a member of Congress until 1978, 14 years after the bigoted Democrats filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He only became a Republican in 1994 after the GOP victory that kicked his sorry butt into the minority. More than 300 Democrats, including northern Democrats, would jump ship between December 1994 and December 1995 after the Republican Party became the majority party in Congress.

So all your lies cannot change the fact that the Democratic Party is the national party of bigots.
To be honest both Democrats/Liberals and Republicans/Conservatives are two sides of the same coin and both are guilty of bigotry. Liberals and democrats of color use fellow liberal whites to cater to their interests and white Republicans use conservatives of color to get their points across or to somehow prove that their party and views are not racist etc.

Both parties are two sides of the same coin really.

PoLIEtics is a dirty game.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 AM

"The worst thing the black liberal community ever did for themselves since civil rights was become an automatic puppet vote for the democrat party. When a politician can take your vote for granted as if its a freebie, then you will NEVER be the focus of beneficial change." –Wayne Dupree

Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
To be honest both Democrats/Liberals and Republicans/Conservatives are two sides of the same coin and both are guilty of bigotry.
That certainly is not true.
  • May 1866: The Ku Klux Klan was formed in Pulaski, Tennessee by ex-confederate Democrats.
  • July 30, 1866: New Orleans' Democratic government ordered police to raid an integrated GOP meeting, killing 40 people and injuring 150. Also in 1866, 94% of GOP Senators and 96% of GOP House members approved the Fourteenth Amendment, guaranteeing all Americans equal protection of the law. Every congressional Democrat voted "No."
  • April 1867: Former confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest and Democrat organizes the Men of Justice, the Pale Faces, the Constitutional Union Guards, the White Brotherhood, and the Order of the White Rose under the Ku Klux Klan and becomes the first Grand Wizard.
  • April 20, 1871: The GOP Congress adopted the "Ku Klux Klan Act," banning the pro-Democrat domestic terrorist group.
  • Feb. 8, 1894: Democratic President Grover Cleveland and a Democratic Congress repealed the GOP's Enforcement Act, thus denying black voters federal protection.
  • Jan. 26, 1922: The House adopted a GOP bill to make lynching a federal crime. Filibustering Senate Democrats killed the measure.
  • Aug. 17, 1937: Republicans opposed Democratic President Franklin Roosevelt's Supreme Court nominee, Senator Hugo Black, Democrat from Alabama, a former Klansman who defended Klansmen against race-murder charges.
  • Sept. 24, 1957: Eisenhower deployed the 82nd Airborne Division to desegregate Little Rock's government schools over the strenuous resistance of Democratic Govenor Orval Faubus.
  • July 2, 1964: Democratic President Johnson signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act after former Klansman Robert Byrd's 14-hour filibuster and the votes of 34% of Senate Democrat majority failed to scuttle the measure.
For more than 100 years the Democratic Party has been the party of bigots. When you can demonstrate a similar history for the Republican Party you might have a point, but until then you are spewing nothing but revisionist bigotry.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:34 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
More whites have been lynched than blacks. That is a fact.
Notice: this poster believes that Blacks were happier living in segregation in the 1950s, so take his/her "fact" for what it's worth.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technev View Post
I don't know much about American history, but were lynchings common in the 50s or earlier? If so, were all nonwhites (like Arabs, Indians etc.) targeted or only the black folks?
It is "associated with re-imposition of white supremacy in the south after the civil war" so it seems so. Lynching itself is defined as the "killing by extrajudicial mob action" and around 3,446 blacks and 1,297 whites were lynched between 1882 and 1968 according to the Tuskegee Institute. Lynching was also used on any type of people interested in integration rights in the south, and was also used in the west on accused criminals.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That certainly is not true.
  • May 1866: The Ku Klux Klan was formed in Pulaski, Tennessee by ex-confederate Democrats.
  • July 30, 1866: New Orleans' Democratic government ordered police to raid an integrated GOP meeting, killing 40 people and injuring 150. Also in 1866, 94% of GOP Senators and 96% of GOP House members approved the Fourteenth Amendment, guaranteeing all Americans equal protection of the law. Every congressional Democrat voted "No."
  • April 1867: Former confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest and Democrat organizes the Men of Justice, the Pale Faces, the Constitutional Union Guards, the White Brotherhood, and the Order of the White Rose under the Ku Klux Klan and becomes the first Grand Wizard.
  • April 20, 1871: The GOP Congress adopted the "Ku Klux Klan Act," banning the pro-Democrat domestic terrorist group.
  • Feb. 8, 1894: Democratic President Grover Cleveland and a Democratic Congress repealed the GOP's Enforcement Act, thus denying black voters federal protection.
  • Jan. 26, 1922: The House adopted a GOP bill to make lynching a federal crime. Filibustering Senate Democrats killed the measure.
  • Aug. 17, 1937: Republicans opposed Democratic President Franklin Roosevelt's Supreme Court nominee, Senator Hugo Black, Democrat from Alabama, a former Klansman who defended Klansmen against race-murder charges.
  • Sept. 24, 1957: Eisenhower deployed the 82nd Airborne Division to desegregate Little Rock's government schools over the strenuous resistance of Democratic Govenor Orval Faubus.
  • July 2, 1964: Democratic President Johnson signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act after former Klansman Robert Byrd's 14-hour filibuster and the votes of 34% of Senate Democrat majority failed to scuttle the measure.
For more than 100 years the Democratic Party has been the party of bigots. When you can demonstrate a similar history for the Republican Party you might have a point, but until then you are spewing nothing but revisionist bigotry.
Mod cut: Inappropriate.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem or are you delusional? Because if you actually read what I wrote I agreed with you that there is racism and bigotry within the Democratic party, same with the existence of racism and bigotry in and throughout the Republican party. Learn how to read, instead of resorting to your close minded revisionist history and bigotry.

Thanks for the historical timeline and run down, although I already knew that and then some already. I'm one step ahead of you. I make some of these points to those that want to buy into Politically correct PC narrative and overlook the true bs nuances of history etc.

And it's widely known that over and throughout time, Dems and Repubs often switched positions and places back and forth, and each has had change in views and different shifts etc.

But don't feed me or others any bigoted revisionist history narratives and nonsense and twist history around. Many of the stuff you listed had ties to and were in collusion with Republicans and Demovrats and other outside non affiliated sources of each and more and then some.

Thus you helped to prove the very point I was trying to make.

Hell, if the South were to actually split from the USA and become it's own nation, Democrats and Republicans would lose their meanings than it once had in the wider greater nation. PoLIEtics change and intent and context changes and shifts over time. Another reason why poLIEtics is bull****.

My point is that both Dems abd Repubs work in collusion with each other to protect a higher power or circle and/or old money and greater interests. Essentially both parties consists of opportunists seeking to distract the public from the issues at hand and putting on an entertaining divisive show. And ppl keep on falling for it.

Are you denying that racism exists and manifests equally or both in different ways among both the Democrats and Republicans?

My point was that both aspects of poLIEtics are both two sides of the same coin. And that they are working to protect each other's financial and socioeconomic differences.

You are so hell bent on trying to prove yourself right or prove a point that you overlook what the other is trying to say.

I know history very well.

Nothing you said disproves or debunks or takes away from or adds to anything I've said. I've made many of those arguments or points.

However now you have to own up to and admit racism and bigotry in the Republican party that has always historically existed and still exists.

It's known that all political parties have racism, colorism, and classism.

I was trying to get across to you that BOTH Dems and Repubs are both two sides of the same coin and have the same issues, and that they are both not to be trusted. I think that society should do away with political parties, and simply focus on addressing the issues that pertain to all human beings and progressing and moving things into a more fair, just and equal path for all human beings of all classes, races, and citizens in the United States of America.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-16-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 06:56 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
In the 1920's, the NAACP's Manhattan office had a flag which read "A man was lynched yesterday": and it flew an average of about thirty times a year.

Let's contrast this with the last five incidents wheich might be viewed as a racially motivated lynching:

(1) James Byrd in Texas, in 1998, dragged behind a motor vehicle; two perpetrators apprehended, convicted, and sentenced to death, one exectued, the other still appealing after 15 years.

(2) Michel Donald in Mobile, AL, in 1981; two perpetrators, known to be affiliated with the Ku Klux Klans, apprehended, convicted, one executed about 15 years later, the other servig a life sentence

(3) Andrew Goodman, James Schwerner and Michael Cheyney, civil rights activists, in Philadelphia, MS, in 1964; Perpetrators never convicted in state court, but identified by the media and subsequently indicted on Federal charges.

(4) Emmett Till in Money, MS in August 1955. for the "offense" of whistling and making mild advances toward a white woman; perpetrators acqutted by a local, all-white jury, but national attention focused on the case.

(5) And finally, Mack Parker in Poplarville, MS, in May 1955; taken from incarceration and hanged by a mob (This case draws little attrention today, but I first read of it while in high school in the mid-Sixties in John Howard Griffin's book Black LIke Me.) Athough I'm certain that any exculpatory evidence related to the rape of a pregnant white victim would have been strongly emphasized, none has turned up of which I am aware.

So we have to go back some 58 years to find an example of perverted justice in the most classic sense, and nearly 50 years to find a case in whch the instigators were not quickly identified and prosecuted.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-14-2014 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
The reason the KKK wore mask is so ;democrats , republicans, rich ,poor, baptist, heathens, country and city folk could all come together and agree on one thing and that was the black mans place in their community.

By the time it was ended in the thirties it was still a North vs South issue. I think Fiorello La Guardia, a New Yorker push through the legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History