Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 06:17 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times

Advertisements

Here is another alternate history question about France.

Let's say that Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte (the future Napoleon III in real life) died in 1847 or before for some reason (such as by choking to death on a piece of food).

How exactly would French history since 1848 (or at least, in the several decades after 1848) have turned out in such a scenario? Without Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte, would there have been a realistic chance of the French Second Republic surviving either permanently or at least for several decades?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:19 PM

For reference, here is an interesting piece about this topic which I have found:

What If Napoleon III Had Been Executed in 1840 or Assassinated in 1858

Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Here is another alternate history question about France.

Let's say that Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte (the future Napoleon III in real life) died in 1847 or before for some reason (such as by choking to death on a piece of food).

How exactly would French history since 1848 (or at least, in the several decades after 1848) have turned out in such a scenario? Without Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte, would there have been a realistic chance of the French Second Republic surviving either permanently or at least for several decades?
Two things stand out to me about Napoleon III:
1. He put a lot of effort into building Paris the beautiful city it is today
2. On the other hand, he was a disaster for French foreign policy.

On the second point, Napoleon III failed to realize that the conservative Austria had become France's natural ally. Instead he weakened Austria and thus helped allow the unification of Italy and Germany. He violated the traditional French foreign policy of keeping Italy and especially Germany divided.

The united Germany replaced France as the strongest power of western Europe. And France had to face the united Germany in both World Wars and had to face Italy in WW2.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Two things stand out to me about Napoleon III:
1. He put a lot of effort into building Paris the beautiful city it is today
2. On the other hand, he was a disaster for French foreign policy.

On the second point, Napoleon III failed to realize that the conservative Austria had become France's natural ally. Instead he weakened Austria and thus helped allow the unification of Italy and Germany. He violated the traditional French foreign policy of keeping Italy and especially Germany divided.

The united Germany replaced France as the strongest power of western Europe. And France had to face the united Germany in both World Wars and had to face Italy in WW2.
I think that Napoleon III also accelerated industrialization in France.

As for being a disaster for French foreign policy, I agree with you on this, though I also want to point out that he did manage to acquire Nice and Savoy for France (both of which France still retains today) by helping out Piedmont-Sardinia. Thus, Napoleon III's foreign policy wasn't a total loss, though I agree that he did appear to screw up by weakening Austria and by not handling Prussia well.

Finally, though, I want to point out that France's demographics were already relatively poor by this point in time. Thus, even before the rise of Prussia, its position in Europe might have still gradually weakened over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History