Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,693,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Remember that Jim Crow & slavery are two separate different things & two different time periods.
For a lot of black people there wasn't a book mark between the two. Slavery , Jim Crow, segregation, and discrimination were the different names for the same set of circumstances. in some respects I don't think black people would chose one over the other. They all involved legislating the class status of black people in America. They are all part of the same continuum. Even today we have to watch out for legislation intended to keep lower class people from being full participants in society. America went from ; Christian vs non Christian, to free vs non free, to black vs white and finally to rich vs poor all along the same continuum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 PM

777 posts, read 882,966 times
I'll add immigration status.
With Honduran children, there is
at least a debate about their entry
into the United States. Refugees from
Haiti are immediately sent back. Cuban
refugees are given above average treatment
The preparation of their citizenry papers can be
unusually swift.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,565,256 times
You just can't erase 100 years of Economic and Racial segregation in just 40 years.
After WWII, those nice cushy factory jobs with pensions were not readily available for Blacks till the 60's.
Jim Crow Eliminated the completion.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:55 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,907,098 times
Many people have the misconception that slavery was based on race. It wasn't. Slavery helped promulgate racism because the biggest pool of slaves was coming from Africa, but slave status was NOT determined by racial assignation but by matrilineal birthright. If your mother was a slave, so were you. Regardless if you were legally White or not.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:56 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,907,098 times
Although I believe that the USA really is suffering more from a Post Traumatic Jim Crow/Lynching/Post Emancipation Syndrome.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,995,262 times
So darn tired of these sensational type of threads.....find another way to get rep points! I'm not even goingto bother reading the rest of this foolishness.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:28 AM

888 posts, read 454,929 times
The 13th Amendment did not completely abolish slavery. It says:

"Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation."

During Jim Crow in some places in the Deep South, African Americans were routinely convicted of minor crimes in order to be available to be rented out for labor in slave like conditions. There is an excellent PBS documentary called "Slavery By Another Name" that addresses this. Some say current incarceration practices are a new form of Jim Crow because longer sentences are disproportionately applied to people of color and that Jim Crow is alive and well because of it.

Personally, I think focusing on reducing both income and education inequality is what will help address the disproportionate numbers of African Americans in poverty and the problems that come with it.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:45 AM

28,685 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
The 13th Amendment did not completely abolish slavery. It says:

"Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation."

That didn't happen until 1942, when the Japanese government pointed it out.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 08-07-2014 at 05:59 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 05:55 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,489,851 times
How would that benefit black people that are not American?

Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,403,183 times
when I read the first op messge, all I saw was profit, did not get anything and I want money. last time I look, not all wite people was into slavery, some had their own farms, so why should they pay. then jim crow, yes it was bad, but not for all in all community. since 1960 I have never seen a white only water foundation in my town, so why should my town pay.. my family didn't come to united states since 1958, so why should I pay.

Im not saying forget history by no means, but life must go forward
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History