Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:07 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,344 times

Advertisements

I was born in 93.

Did life revolve around the fear of unemployment like it does now? Were families more intact (people more loyal to one another)? What would you say the general feeling during the time was? Did the fear of the soviets grip the nation?

Last edited by stellastar2345; 10-15-2014 at 09:57 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 PM

72,421 posts, read 18,206,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I was born in 93.

Did life revolve around the fear of unemployment? Were families more intact (people more loyal to one another)? What would you say the general feeling during the time was? Did the fear of the soviets grip the nation?
We just began using the cell phones. They were huge!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:01 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Quote:
I was born in 93.

Did life revolve around the fear of unemployment like it does now? Were families more intact (people more loyal to one another)? What would you say the general feeling during the time was? Did the fear of the soviets grip the nation?
My life does not revolve around fear of unemployment now, nor in the past.

Fear of the soviets? My god!

Old 10-16-2014, 10:03 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
We lived in terror, shivering in our cold homes, afraid to go outside. We ate poor food, feared war, had no internet, no cellphones, barely any income to buy anything.

It was Facebook-less and Twitter-less.

Oh the Humanity

Old 10-16-2014, 11:17 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,579,481 times
Life was grand.
No we didn't fear the soviets then, nor do we now. They do not want a WWIII any more than anybody else.

Check out the link..... it's full of info. http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...-that-made-us/

Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,262,295 times
The 80s had its ups and downs like any other decade. For me it amounted to a lot of downs.....but the life lessons learned then and in later years helped me to evolve into the person I've become.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:27 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
Life was grand.
No we didn't fear the soviets then, nor do we now. They do not want a WWIII any more than anybody else.

Check out the link..... it's full of info. The '80s: The Decade That Made Us | National Geographic Channel
do you know where i can watch the mini series by any chance?

Old 10-16-2014, 11:42 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
I was really into skateboarding, punk rock, and chicks. So, nothing like today.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:58 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Hop up here on my knee, Sonny, and let me tell you about the golden age of the 1980s.

Unemployment was at 30% - and that was during good times! Divorce hadn't been invented yet! And as for the Soviets, well, you've seen the original Red Dawn, right? Few people know that that was actually a documentary!

But for all that unpleasantness, it was a magical time when the world was blissfully free of online forums. As such, there was no place for anyone to start inane threads like this:

WHAT WERE THE OLDEN DAYS OF THE 50s LIKE?
and
DID THE SIXTIES REALLY BEGIN IN 1960, OR DID THEY ACTUALLY BEGIN IN 1959, OR HADN'T THEY EVEN BEGUN BY 1961?
and
WAS 1974 MORE LIKE 1971 OR 1977?

And I think most of us children of the 80s would agree that even the occasional communist invasion pales in comparison with the horror of being asked, yet again, about such mind-numbingly banal topics as these.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:15 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Quote:
I was born in 93.

Well if you were an air traffic controller, Eastern Airline employee, steel worker you may have had unemployment issues.

We had a mini-recession in the early 1980s and folks were dumping their stuff on the Craigslist equivalent. -Bargain Trader or newspaper classifieds.

We had a bank bust in the late 1980s which affected folks as well.

We were concerned about our deficit and military expenditures.

A lot of folks were worried Social Security would not last.

We had a problem with Iran and their militant Islamic government. We were involved in some small guerrilla wars.

Israel was threatened without and within and they were our ally needing support for their preemptive border actions.

Israel was concerned about Iraq's nuclear capability and bombed their nuclear power plant to ruins.

We had immigration issues leading to Amnesty.

We had mass immigration here from Cuba that overwhelmed the INS folk.

Automotive fuel economy was a concern.

Pollution was a concern.

Find safe alternative energy sources was a concern.

Chrysler had monetary issues and required a bailout.

There was concern some televisions shows were too violent.

There was a freeze on Gov't hiring so forget having a Federal job out of college. See Grahm-Rudman.

There was Executive level scandals that caused a re-look at the honesty of the Federales.

There was some criminal activity among Federal elected officials-senators, reps, judges which caused concern at our politicians could be bribed.

At least in my city there was rioting twice in a decade due to blacks dying at Police hands.

Homosexuals demonstrated for their rights; they believed they were being discriminated.

Some women demonstrated for their rights; they believed they were being discriminated.

The Soviets....we accepted the Cold War. There were some incidents back and forth but it was via proxy or other actors that would not result in a 1914/1939 type of ultimatum. You know it was over by the end of the 1980s.

No one trusted the CIA.

It was a good thing to be an American. U.S. dollar sound and preferred all over the world. We were still the good guys in most parts of the world.

As now, depends were you lived, your standard and your prospects.

You did not have fear mongering news 24/7 as now and ranting on tv from commentators.

So some was familiar and some was not. Reading over the list above I realize more familiar than unfamiliar with today. Nothing changes but the visual images.

But honestly I never heard such fear of the future among young people as now as we read here on CD. I hope it is just a CD think because elsewhere on hobbyist (cars) forums young folk are as cocky and optimistic as I was back then.

I see there are a few books on U.S. culture in the 1980s. Recommend visiting your library for them. The documentary mentioned above is very well done as is the one for the 1990s. NatGeo channel and if your library has any funding they might have a copy as well for loan.
If you want to step back in time then read a book rather than watch something as that is really how we gained knowledge back then. The benefit is that it stimulates your brain and you retain the information longer.

There is an outstanding thread here about what life was like in the 1970s and early 1980s. Very detailed from the participants. Mine is post 203 //www.city-data.com/forum/histo...e-mid-70s.html

Last edited by Felix C; 10-16-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History