Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 11:47 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,932,162 times

Advertisements

It was a BAE-less, YOLO-less, and TWERK-less world.... and David Hasselhoff ruled the world.... ok maybe not world... East and West Germany... but then he brought the walls down!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Old 10-17-2014, 11:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
BAE? Looked it up on the Internet and find a few different definitions. What does it mean? I read baby or feces.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:03 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,417 times
Personally, I was on welfare for most of the 80's, and didn't care about anything one way or another. Nobody I knew cared a damn about unemployment or soviets - I mean, really - SOVIETS??? That was the fear in the 50's, not the 80's! Reagan dominated the 80's, with his Star Wars and NAFTA treaties. All I remember is bad music, big hair, wild neon colors, and ratty fringe on everything. Break dancing and boom boxes. Music Videos were the hottest thing going, and Michael Jackson was HUGE! Atari was the latest thing, Nintendo was just in it's infant stages. Minivans were coming into vogue. Aerobics, spandex, those stupid rolled silk headbands that were worn like a crown. Cable TV was just for people who couldn't get regular TV, and people who got it still only had 20 or 30 channels. I'm laughing here because young people actually doesn't remember the 80's.......................

Old 10-17-2014, 12:06 PM

231 posts, read 390,663 times
Now I feel really old!

We drove American made cars
We watched Little House on the Prairie on Monday. The Waltons, The Cosby Show, Dallas, and Sunday night Disney.
I vividly remember when MTV came out!
We saved up our money from mowing lawns and washing cars to buy a "Walk Man". My parents bought Keds sneakers, so I saved my own money to buy Addidas! Blue with white trim. And to buy my Ocean Pacific and Lightening Bolt shirts, painters pants and puka shell necklaces.
The 'hot' girls wore Ditto's jeans or Calvin Kleins.
Every male at my high school lusted after a Camaro, Trans-Am, BMW 320i or VW Scirocco.
We knew the Russians were bad and were going to get us, but The Gipper would protect us.
My parents tried to sell a house in 1981 and interest rates were around 18% - it did not sell.
We still saved our Green Stamps and turned them in a for set of TV Trays
We got our first microwave, an Amana Radar-Range, around 1982.
Cabbage Patch Kids, Pet Rocks, Members Only jackets, Atari, and many more fads.
Avocado green and Harvest Gold appliances still in vogue. We remodeled our home around 1987 with Corian counters!! And new Almond appliances. And an 'appliance garage' on the counter top....we were the bomb! My parents Z-bricked the kitchen walls! Brass accents and hardware.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:21 PM

741 posts, read 441,254 times
Like anytime, the 80s had it's good and bad points.

But, for me personally, life was a hell of alot better then, than it is now.

I wish I was still there.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:29 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,101 times
more young men wore workboots than sneakers.
when your car broke down, you had to fix it or walk
then knock on strangers door to use phone.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:40 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I was born in 93.

Did life revolve around the fear of unemployment like it does now? Were families more intact (people more loyal to one another)? What would you say the general feeling during the time was? Did the fear of the soviets grip the nation?
I don't remember the 80's. I was too high.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Speak for yourself.
Reagan carried 49 states in '84 and came within 0.2 percentage points of carrying all 50. 'Nuff said.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:33 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,071 times
The 1980's were good and bad. I was a kid in inner city L.A. in the 1980's. I remember the Showtime Lakers. I remember Michael Jackson, Prince, and Madonna as the main pop icons. I remember Rocky movies, WWF (not WWE) wrestling. I remember street gangs and crack cocaine. I remember Ronald Regan. I remember watching the fall of the Berlin wall on TV.

I remember the space shuttle Challenger exploding in the air as we watched it on TV in grade school. I remember seeing ET at the drive in theater. I remember parents making such a stink about the movie Gremlins that the MPAA created the "PG-13" rating. I remember Stallone and Eddie Murphy being kings of the box office. I remember hair bands and the golden era of Hip Hop.

The best thing about the 80's was no internet and no social media. But it was in no way some golden era. It just was.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:41 PM

553 posts, read 595,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wrong. I, like many of my friends and family, detested Reagan. We weren't inspired and we certainly didn't believe the country was in good hands.

Go back and read the first paragraph of post #20. The truth is Reagan was NOT universally beloved.
Some people thought that way, but after four years of Reagan, here's what the overwhelming majority thought:

Please note--should you ever choose to do historical research--that at that time the Republicans were Blue State and the Democrats were Red State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History