Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 10:25 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,428 times

Advertisements

we all know american history . we broke away from england ,the first colony in the world to ever do that. but I'm curious, what percent of the population was for it?? I know some fought on the side of the british, so not everyone thought it was a good idea at the time.I tried googling it but never can find a good answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 04:51 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times
I've seen sources suggest that anywhere from 1/3 to 1/6 of colonists were Loyalists. That's a wide range, but it would be hard to determine a more exact number given some circumstances: is this counting Indian and slave populations, who would be more likely to favor the British; how many were actively Loyalist vs. just too busy, scared, or apathetic to pick sides or be actively patriot; does it include people who opposed the crown but do not want to pursue independence; did people change their minds in one direction or another during the course of a long struggle.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:08 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
I would suggest that the break down was as follows.....

A third were Loyalists, a third were rebels, and a third just wanted to be "left alone ".

Bear in mind that in some cases, the use of physical violence was used, to force out those who were not in favour of rebellion. Having your farm burned down, or your livestock killed was not at all uncommon.

United Empire Loyalists, who fled to Upper or Lower Canada, were numbered in the thousands, and even today, some descendants still use the honorific UEL after their names, to remind others of their family history. Free land grants, patronage appointments, and financial support were all offered to the UEL families, by the British Government .

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:31 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
I just googled "percentage of loyalists and patriots" and a quote from Wikipedia came up saying:

"Historian Robert Calhoon said the consensus of historians is that between 40 and 45 percent of the white population in the Thirteen Colonies supported the Patriots' cause, between 15 and 20% supported the Loyalists, and the remainder were neutral or kept a low profile." - Robert M. Calhoon, "Loyalism and neutrality" in Jack P. Greene; J. R. Pole (2008). A Companion to the American Revolution. John Wiley & Sons. p. 235.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrio...an_Revolution)

Old 12-14-2014, 10:32 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I've seen sources suggest that anywhere from 1/3 to 1/6 of colonists were Loyalists. That's a wide range, but it would be hard to determine a more exact number given some circumstances: is this counting Indian and slave populations, who would be more likely to favor the British; how many were actively Loyalist vs. just too busy, scared, or apathetic to pick sides or be actively patriot; does it include people who opposed the crown but do not want to pursue independence; did people change their minds in one direction or another during the course of a long struggle.
this is why I never fully believe in any type of survey.you may be very pro-british ,but if someone starts pounding on your door to ask you, you'll probably say you're for independence just so you dont get labeled a traitor.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:01 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
we all know american history . we broke away from england ,the first colony in the world to ever do that. but I'm curious, what percent of the population was for it?? I know some fought on the side of the british, so not everyone thought it was a good idea at the time.I tried googling it but never can find a good answer.
I do not know what the percentages were but many Americans were still undecided at the start of the Revolution. However, British actions drove many neutral Americans over to the side of the Rebels.

The bombing of seaports in New England, the arming and promotion of Indian attacks on civilians on the Virginia, Pennsylvania and New York frontiers, the murder and execution of even young people (like Jane McCrea and Nathan Hale), and the calls for slave rebellions in the South, all contributed to loss of support for the British.

Jane McCrea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nathan Hale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-14-2014, 11:25 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I would suggest that the break down was as follows.....

A third were Loyalists, a third were rebels, and a third just wanted to be "left alone ".

Bear in mind that in some cases, the use of physical violence was used, to force out those who were not in favour of rebellion. Having your farm burned down, or your livestock killed was not at all uncommon.

United Empire Loyalists, who fled to Upper or Lower Canada, were numbered in the thousands, and even today, some descendants still use the honorific UEL after their names, to remind others of their family history. Free land grants, patronage appointments, and financial support were all offered to the UEL families, by the British Government .

Jim B. In Toronto.
Unfortunately I think Canadian Citizen may be right. There were plenty that fled.

Some areas, such as where I live, near New York City, had a huge number of Loyalists. That may be one reason that Washington abandoned NYC rather than fought hard to hold it. It may also be why the first capital was placed there; to keep an eye on the place and keep its harbor under control.

I suspect that New England and Virginia were overwhelmingly pro-rebel and other areas, such as New York, New Jersey, and the Carolinas in favor of the status quo. Pennsylvania I don't have a feel for.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

I suspect that New England and Virginia were overwhelmingly pro-rebel and other areas, such as New York, New Jersey, and the Carolinas in favor of the status quo. Pennsylvania I don't have a feel for.
I seem to recall that Pennsylvania was largely neutral due to the large German and Quaker population. The Presbyterian/Scots-Irish tended to be Loyalist in Pennsylvania and elsewhere as well.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:54 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I seem to recall that Pennsylvania was largely neutral due to the large German and Quaker population. The Presbyterian/Scots-Irish tended to be Loyalist in Pennsylvania and elsewhere as well.
Thanks.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:56 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Unfortunately I think Canadian Citizen may be right. There were plenty that fled.

Some areas, such as where I live, near New York City, had a huge number of Loyalists. That may be one reason that Washington abandoned NYC rather than fought hard to hold it. It may also be why the first capital was placed there; to keep an eye on the place and keep its harbor under control.

Philadelphia was the seat of independence, yet Pennsylvania was also heavily Quaker and Mennonite, who were pacifists and many didn't support the war for non-violent reasons, not necessarily because they were loyalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History