Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:00 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I'm not often speechless...but when I saw the poster post that comment it was like - "huh?" The Holocaust was a "minor action"...ohhhhkayyyy. When you get a comment like that, continuing a dialogue with that poster is useless.
Just attempting to wake you up. Why do you think Eisenhower was so adamant that the death camps be documented? He knew very well that Americans had done much worse, and nobody believed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
None.
Agree - none!

Old 10-08-2015, 07:24 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Just attempting to wake you up. Why do you think Eisenhower was so adamant that the death camps be documented? He knew very well that Americans had done much worse, and nobody believed it.
Let me get this right, let me make sure I understand:
So all this talk of the Holocaust, all this history of Nazi atrocities and concentration camps in WW2. It was just really a "minor action" (in your words) and was grossly exaggerated by the US powers-that-be just so that the mistreatment of American Indians in the earlier centuries is diminished in importance.
This is getting better and better, please go on....

Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Let me get this right, let me make sure I understand:
So all this talk of the Holocaust, all this history of Nazi atrocities and concentration camps in WW2. It was just really a "minor action" (in your words) and was grossly exaggerated by the US powers-that-be just so that the mistreatment of American Indians in the earlier centuries is diminished in importance.
This is getting better and better, please go on....
That's not what I said at all. You are just trying to avoid admitting that Americans have done much worse. It's a perfect example of the topic of this thread.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:48 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
The chronology of events doesn't change, only the interpretations.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:26 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
In the Marxist' ideal universe, American history would be completely purged up until the 1960s.. that's where American history starts to become tolerable in their view
…except (in the imaginations of Marxists) that the economy became useless to ordinary people in the 1960s and thereafter. Before that everything was hunky-dory because you could get factory work and be protected by unions.

So, there was never a time...

Old 10-12-2015, 03:18 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I don't want to blot out, but rewrite the section about Hoover/FDR, Great Depression, Social Security and the Great Society. Hoover/FDR were both big government guys with Hoover being the fall guy for FDR. FDR was a liar and thug who nearly lost WW2 because he so mismanaged the recovery out of the depression. The Great Society programs were a disaster and put us on the course of the modern welfare state. He did do a good job on banking. Social Security has been a disaster. That is all we talk about as a nation and it's been such an economic drain on the economy.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:21 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Yeah.. but don't tell that to cultural-Marxists. It's become a pastime of contemporary Leftists to erase any & every part of American (& Western) history that offends them.
Typical conservative re-writing history
Conservatives have ALWAYS been the ones that burn books to hide things from people

Old 10-13-2015, 11:33 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What part(s) would you consider embarrassing/shameful enough that you wouldn't want someone else to read, either a foreigner or a younger American citizen having not read much history before?

I'm currently reading Dispossed/America's UnderClasses from the Civil War to the Present by Jacqueline Jones.

Now there's parts of this book that American History scholars in China, in particular, shouldn't have access to. Especially, the usage/abuse of convict labor in the labor camps in the late 1800's, early 1900's, where you could "buy" a convict for $200 a year.

This information gets into the heads of some Chinese History scholars, the next time a President points a finger at China and brings up Human Rights violations, they'll point a finger or 2 right back at us!
Nothing. All of American history is important, even the stuff that isn't politically correct by today's standards. Whitewashing history is a very dangerous thing.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:03 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Typical conservative re-writing history
Conservatives have ALWAYS been the ones that burn books to hide things from people
Dopo, You're making broad & inaccurate assumptions. I'm not a Conservative, I just see that cultural-Marxists are engaged in a campaign to destroy America's Western Civilization. I can cite a pattern of their contemporary efforts.. removal & defacing of Confederate statues, renaming of Columbus Day, renaming of King county in Washington State (to erase Rufus King from history), renaming of public schools & parks that previously honored Founding Fathers and Confederate figures.
Conversely can you back up your claim that contemporary Conservatives are engaged in erasing historical figures, which ones (?)

You'd also have a hard time arguing that Conservatives have a monopoly on 'book burning'. Both Left & Right totalitarian states have engaged in banning books. 'ALWAYS been the ones' is another one of your inaccurate, unsubstantiated claims. And I'm looking at your posts, your claims are literally coming every few minutes. Telling us about your Christmas lights, your unsolicited parenting advice, etc.. You should occasionally spend some time offline brother.. peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History