Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2016, 08:46 AM

618 posts, read 939,167 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what was Hindenburg's attitude towards Hitler when he came into power. Why didn't he do more to stop him as President? Was it political will, old age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 03:35 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
As I understand hitler was basically disregarded and overlooked by the establishment. Until it was too late

Old 11-15-2016, 10:16 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,194 times
Hitler needed at least the tacit support of Old Regime conservatives. As such, he routinely praised Hindenburg, while routinely ignoring him at the same time. I think it is also important to factor in that Hindenburg was elderly by the time Hitler assumed power.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:03 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,113 times
A good read on the subject: The History Place - Rise of Hitler: The Republic Collapses

I've heard people mention Hitler being elected leader of Germany, even news reporters, wasn't how it happened. And Hindenburg wasn't exactly a fan of Hitler.

I'm not well read enough on the subject to say whether the article I linked to is 100% spot on, Maybe others can chime in and comment if they disagree with the article. I've watched documentaries and read short versions of what happened, until I read this article. The various accounts often contradict each other, or at least phrase what happened a little differently.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:16 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I was wondering what was Hindenburg's attitude towards Hitler when he came into power. Why didn't he do more to stop him as President? Was it political will, old age?
The answer is that Hindenburg seemed remarkably prescient that Hitler presented a danger to Germany.

Paul von Hindenburg was part of the old Prussian military clique. During World War I, Paul was already in his sixties. Yet, he and General Eric Ludendorff essentially directed most German military and even civilian affairs, running Germany as virtual dictators. The fact that Germany held out for four years against Britain, France, Russia, and finally the USA was a tribute to the leadership that these men provided. In fact, the Germans actually defeated Russia before the war ended.

Hindenburg was selected because of his fame to become President of the Weimar Republic which was proclaimed in Germany after the armistice, abdication and exile of Kaiser Wilhelm II. The post of President was largely a ceremonial post in the Weimar Republic as the new government was a parliamentary system with a Chancellor and the Reichstag as a parliament. The Chancellor held all the executive political power. Governments came and went during the fifteen years that the Weimar Republic existed. The job of the President was to formally ask the winner of an election with a majority of votes to form a new government. When a party failed to obtain a majority of votes, generally the President asks the head of the party with the most votes, or a plurality, to attempt to form a new government. Hitler was in this position and Hindenburg attempted to resist asking Hitler to form a new government. He clearly saw Hitler as an unscrupulous person with no moderating influences on his power. Hindenburg, as a former military officer, who had exercised near dictatorial powers, during World War I must have found functioning in a democratic form of government difficult. Yet, he did the job reasonably well.

There were several problems though. Hindenburg was a very old man by 1933, he was well in his eighties in an era where the average life expectancy was not more than sixty years of age. His health was failing. Also, the ceremonial role of President that he occupied did not allow him to do enough to oppose Hitler. People around Hindenburg pressured him and he found it hard to resist their pressures. Ultimately, Hindenburg ended up caving in and Hitler became the German Chancellor.

Last edited by markg91359; 11-20-2016 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History