Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 03:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Stories have come to light over the past few years that it wasn't just diseases that popped up and killed the Native Americans. There was a strategy in place in which some Whites in power practiced to eliminate the Natives. The Natives were given infected blankets and that along with NO medical care while being dislocated from their homes (being exposed to the elements, fatigue, etc) and relocated by having to WALK hundreds, if not thousands of miles, to some far outpost of barren land that no White person had decided they wanted for themselves yet.
This happened in the 1800s and was done by agents of the US Government. But whites had been displacing Indians for. Centuries by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 11:58 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Stories have come to light over the past few years that it wasn't just diseases that popped up and killed the Native Americans. There was a strategy in place in which some Whites in power practiced to eliminate the Natives. The Natives were given infected blankets and that along with NO medical care while being dislocated from their homes (being exposed to the elements, fatigue, etc) and relocated by having to WALK hundreds, if not thousands of miles, to some far outpost of barren land that no White person had decided they wanted for themselves yet.
I'm not arguing, I'm just asking -- which forced marches were "thousands of miles"?

Old 05-13-2017, 02:08 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
We have only the archaelogical record to understand the Americas pre-contact. That is a limited record on which to make the sweeping judgments implied by the OP.
After this statement you seem to switch to agreeing with the OP, to the effect that there was nothing perfect about pre-contact life in the Americas. A look at the cenotes in Mayan Mexico tells you all you need to know.

Quote:
It is also silly to imagine that post-contact & pre-reservation native civilizations were the same as pre-contact civilizations in the Americas.
Given their decimation by diseases I am guessing you're right. Smallpox was an equal opportunity killer and killed the wiser and smarter as well as less gifted.

Quote:
Manifest Destiny and intentional ethnic cleansing came later. What 1491 makes clear is that disease--brought accidentally to the Americas by the Europeans with the livestock that was their food store--destroyed civilizations from the arctic to Patagonia. We have limited evidence as to what life was like here before contact because of that devastation.
I agree that our evidence is pauce by we do have both viewing and remains from Aztecs, Mayas, Incas and Cahokia. On all but Cahokia we have pretty good oral histories. These were not peaceful or noble societies.

Quote:
The peoples of the Americas were not noble savages. They used fire to shape their landscape, attract desirable game, and ward off undesirable species. Like everywhere else humans have touched, the environment was a built one.
Humans everywhere were and are a keystone species. That's a fact, neither good nor bad. They helped shape the environment. Even then they may have had a hand in the extinction of woolly mammoths, and the populations explosions and later crashes of bison and passenger pigeon populations.

Quote:
Americans were defeated by disease almost 500 years ago. European expeditionary forces mopped up the remains in the ensuing centuries. Atrocities were indeed committed in the colonization era. But disease was the Prime Mover.
I think disease did most of the damage.The remaining natives were desperate and largely leaderless. The natives may have been better at coexisting if their leadership weren't shredded by disease.

Quote:
It is quite well documented that the European Age of Exploration was motivated by the desires to establish trade routes, to acquire land, and to "civilize" the world's "barbarians." There was ample racism within that 3rd motivation.

Your milquetoast description of history serves only to sanitize the conduct of the people of a particular continent.
I don't know if that was "racism" or a recognition that the two could not coexist with status quo cultures. The Europeans' view was it was their culture that was going to prevail.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This happened in the 1800s and was done by agents of the US Government. But whites had been displacing Indians for. Centuries by then.
Those stories were likely apocryphal. Would you have volunteered to carry a smallpox-infested blanket or clothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not arguing, I'm just asking -- which forced marches were "thousands of miles"?
The "trail of tears" from Georgia/Alabama to modern-day Oklahoma.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Those stories were likely apocryphal. Would you have volunteered to carry a smallpox-infested blanket or clothing?

The "trail of tears" from Georgia/Alabama to modern-day Oklahoma.
I see estimates of 800-1,200. That's not multiple thousands.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I see estimates of 800-1,200. That's not multiple thousands.
Agreed. I don't know enough about the Trail of Tears. I still lean towards it being a blemish but I'm not sure.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:19 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,481,808 times
la leyendra negra

Old 05-14-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Agreed. I don't know enough about the Trail of Tears. I still lean towards it being a blemish but I'm not sure.
Saying it was a "blemish" would be an understatement.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Saying it was a "blemish" would be an understatement.
Probably. I just need to read more. I don't form opinions based on emotions.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:22 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Google "Trail of tears."
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ears&FORM=IGRE

I have American Indian ancestry but there comes a time when you have to admit facts. American Indians were savages that were not the sweet people so many want to make them out to be. There were peaceful tribes and warrior tribes.

I recently saw a documentary about the "Lost Colony" and the idea that the colony was overrun by Indians and some of the people lived as slaves to the Indians and were taken to Copper mines to beat out the copper. People from Jamestown were thought to know where these people were but did not have the necessary numbers to go and rescue them.

Last edited by NCN; 05-14-2017 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History