Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 09:13 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,855 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find out if any of the Indian Trails in the Ohio Territory would have been used by settlers who arrived in Ohio late in the year 1800. I've tried researching this topic, and found mention of the Cuyahoga - Muskingum Trail. Railsandtrails mentions this route and it appears on this image as Trail #5.

Quote:
Trail No. 5, known as the Cuyahoga-Muskingum Trail, extended from the mouth of the Cuyahoga river on the north and following the Cuyahoga river and crossing the portage in Summit county, descended the Tuscarawas and Muskingum to its mouth. The principal towns on this trail were Saguin's Post, Ottawa town and Mingo town on the Cuyahoga; Tuscarawas and Beaver towns on the Great Trail; Conchake and White Eyes towns near the forks of the Muskingum and the several Delaware towns to the south.
I also found a 1776 map that shows the same series of Indian trails in Ohio. I believe this trail was also called the "War Trail". I also found mentioned that a canal system linking these two rivers was proposed as early as 1784. Zane's Trace (the east/west route) wasn't completed until 1802. Wouldn't the early residents have worked to have a north/south route?

I'm primarily interested in finding more information about the Muskingum Trail portion. Would the surveyors or new settlers widen this Indian trail to allow for passage of wagons? I know the first settlers to Ohio arrived in flatboats, but as Ohio approached statehood wouldn't they have widen these trails to accommodate wagons?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me for my research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 AM

Doing more research, I came across Heckewelder's Manuscript Map. This appears to have a trail to the east of Marietta though the image is difficult to clearly read. This trail to the east conflicts with the other images I've found with a trail to the west of Marietta.

Would this trail have been west or east of Marietta? (I've also asked for this information in the Ohio forum.)

Old 08-08-2017, 07:20 AM

Eureka! I've found the information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History