Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
That's exactly what happened....started with the Civil War....now I've already bought books on WWI. I particularly want to review the Vietnam War as well...this occured during my lifetime but I was too young to take interest.

And the Mongols I found just fascinating.

Guess I have a lot to look forward to...so much to learn, so little time! Didn't know there was a D-Day museum...the Holocaust Museum is certainly moving to visit...

My bookcases are overflowing.
here is a "teaser" for your interest in Vietnam...……..

rock

this is an excellent website I have been a member of for years……...it studies all wars and ages...…..some members are authors and historians...…...there is some info buried in the older threads not available anywhere else...………

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
There comes a point where you look at the blurb for every book involving the war and realize you have heard and read that particular story dozens of times...interest wanes.

I started reading the popular books from the other side....German and Russian. That provides a really good balance as to how things were. Recently read the story of the top Japanese Ace. Great book...

I started out a Civil War buff.
Then WWI and WWI.

In the last decade or two a number of personal Vietnam books have been written. Scary stuff....but also some of them are from the "others"....meaning that most people who served in Vietnam never fired a shot.

Last year I developed a further interest in the US Civil Rights movements....some amazing books about all of that.

There is too much to know...you can't know it all. But it is nice to get fairly deep into a subject so that you don't get swayed by the tone of one or two books.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
As a baby boomer my parents, aunts and uncles were all involved in World War Two. My mother worked in a war plant. An uncle was on a ship off Okinawa during the Kamikaze attacks. My next door neighbor was a Marine on Guadalcanal. He was probably the reason I joined the Marines during Vietnam.

So I’ve always been fascinated by this period of history and have read about it since I was a kid. During my military service I was stationed in Singapore and visited most of the battle sites related to the Japanese conquest of that island. I also have plans this year to tour the battlefields of Europe.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:02 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'd much rather read and study the 19th century than anything in the 20th, and even then, not war topics.

Well the topic here is WWII etc.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
here is a "teaser" for your interest in Vietnam...……..

rock

this is an excellent website I have been a member of for years……...it studies all wars and ages...…..some members are authors and historians...…...there is some info buried in the older threads not available anywhere else...………

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/
Saved!

Old 02-19-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
As a baby boomer my parents, aunts and uncles were all involved in World War Two. My mother worked in a war plant. An uncle was on a ship off Okinawa during the Kamikaze attacks. My next door neighbor was a Marine on Guadalcanal. He was probably the reason I joined the Marines during Vietnam.

So I’ve always been fascinated by this period of history and have read about it since I was a kid. During my military service I was stationed in Singapore and visited most of the battle sites related to the Japanese conquest of that island. I also have plans this year to tour the battlefields of Europe.

Awesome trips!

I'd love to see the island my dad, as a paratrooper, jumped on...Corregidor. There are many buffs into this island in particular, with an organization solely regarding all who served there. I check the website occasionally.... some visit the island and still find war remnants to this day.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:40 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
I've been interested in World War II for the past 40 years. It started with the Battle of Midway, my interest having been sparked by seeing the movie Midway. This event is still my main focus of interest. But it's gradually expanded to other Pacific aircraft-carrier battles, then other Pacific naval battles, then other Pacific aerial campaigns, then other Pacific battles of any type, then European air battles, and then European battles of other types. My interest in this subject has waxed and waned over time, but right now it's really going strong. There's just so much there to hold one's interest.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've been interested in World War II for the past 40 years. It started with the Battle of Midway, my interest having been sparked by seeing the movie Midway. This event is still my main focus of interest. But it's gradually expanded to other Pacific aircraft-carrier battles, then other Pacific naval battles, then other Pacific aerial campaigns, then other Pacific battles of any type, then European air battles, and then European battles of other types. My interest in this subject has waxed and waned over time, but right now it's really going strong. There's just so much there to hold one's interest.

My interest started by reading the book IKE. Name of author escapes me right now. It was so interesting...of course D-Day info was included so lots to peak my interest.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:19 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
I watch that stuff on TV all the time.
Before AHC, people called the History Channel the "Hitler Channel" because there was so much Hitler on it.
Now there's very little actual history on the History Channel.

Interesting fact:
James Doohan (otherwise known as Scotty on Star Trek) was shot 6 times on D-Day.
He had no middle finger on his right hand because it got shot off.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:37 AM

747 posts, read 840,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

I started reading the popular books from the other side....German and Russian. That provides a really good balance as to how things were. Recently read the story of the top Japanese Ace. Great book...

Can you give me a couple of recommendations of books from the German and Russian side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History