Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 12:26 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I have some problems with the concept of the Museum of African American History.

I haven't visited that museum--I'm sure I would be emotionally overwhelmed by it.

But my feeling at the moment is that African-American history should not have been entirely removed from the Museum of American History.

I've visited the museum. It is a great place and you should go. It evokes a plethora of emotions.

I'll note it is the Smithsonian Museum of African American History AND Culture.

People forget the culture part, but I love the way it is woven through the museum. You basically start in the bottom of the museum, which is the "history" portion and work your way up to the "culture" portion. The culture portion being last means you'll end on a high note - knowing these people survived and created so much. It is very inspiring.

I'll also note that there are various Smithsonian museums and I'm very glad and grateful that African Americans have one. I was not able to view Emmett Till's coffin as the line was too long when I went last and I didn't want to view it the first time.

Some of my relatives donated items to the museum regarding African American pioneer communities in OH and MI. So I went the first year it opened. There is also a "story corps" center there to record stories about visitors and a genealogy center. They also have an interactive family/children's area that my kids really liked. One of the features that, last time we went, was an interactive video game where kids learned how to do a step routine a-la step show at an HBCU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 12:38 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I've visited the museum. It is a great place and you should go. It evokes a plethora of emotions.

People forget the culture part, but I love the way it is woven through the museum. You basically start in the bottom of the museum, which is the "history" portion and work your way up to the "culture" portion. The culture portion being last means you'll end on a high note - knowing these people survived and created so much. It is very inspiring.

I'll also note that there are various Smithsonian museums and I'm very glad and grateful that African Americans have one. I was not able to view Emmett Till's coffin as the line was too long when I went last and I didn't want to view it the first time.

Some of my relatives donated items to the museum regarding African American pioneer communities in OH and MI. So I went the first year it opened. There is also a "story corps" center there to record stories about visitors and a genealogy center. They also have an interactive family/children's area that my kids really liked. One of the features that, last time we went, was an interactive video game where kids learned how to do a step routine a-la step show at an HBCU.
I had visited the African-American section of the Museum of American History several times, as well as the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis (which is housed in the hotel at which Martin Luther King was assassinated). That one really hit me hard because those events took place within my own lifetime and memory, although I was very young as they started. But some things, like the firebombed bus of the Freedom Riders, I definitely remembered.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:26 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

It is the "hot ticket" in DC these days.

I am eager to visit, but I have heard the crowds are huge. I will probably wait until next Winter, take a day off, and hit it bright and early.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
It seems to me honoring Emmitt Till is a little like the tomb of the unknown soldier.

We don't know the identity of the man buried there; he may have been heroic, he may not have been.

But honoring him, we honor all those unknown soldiers who never returned from battle and we don't know where they are.

Honoring Emmitt Till is also honoring all those hundreds (thousands?) of unnamed unrecognized victims of race hate after the civil war and throughout the civil rights era.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:20 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
I think no victim deserves honor unless their victimhood was related somehow to a heroic deed. Ex:someone murdered while trying to defend someone else who is being attacked.

I don't agree the 9/11 victims deserve a monument any more than Emmett Till. They did nothing heroic.

A monument to the first responders is more fitting.

Honoring victims is insulting to true heroes who voluntarily incur risk to benefit/save/aid others.
As somebody from OKC I can tell you that this is baloney. First responders would refuse to be honored in lieu of the victims of a tragedy. It's possible to honor both. And that's what we do in OKC every April 19th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History