Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 07:41 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,376,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
The pulling down of these statutes is democratic?? How? I didn't get to vote whether they come down and neither did anyone else I know. Just because a bunch of hoodlums calls their organization democratic and say they represent the interests of the people, doesn't mean their organization is democratic and represents the interests of the people.

If you studied American history at the time of the Civil War, you would find out that Robert E Lee was pretty much considered a god by everyone south of the Mason Dixon Line, not just by a few elite men who decided to erect a statue of him.
Robert E Lee was pretty much considered a god by everyone south of the Mason-Dixon Line?
Did the millions of black Southerners...hundreds of thousands of whom joined the opposing army...consider Lee to be almost a god?

Old 06-15-2020, 07:47 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Okay. You want history....the Civil War was fought more over states rights than it was slavery.

And since the states came before the federal government, the South had an absolute right to secede.

It was an immoral, unjust war. 700,000 men died...for what? Slavery would have been abolished peacefully in due time...anyone who has studied history knows it would have been abolished without a single man dying.

Again, it was a war about states rights, not slavery.
Then why wasnt slavery abolished...when the south faced the prospect of war to preserve it? And slavery was the issue that animated the South to try to break up the United States... Southern leaders at the time were very clear on that.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:48 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
As long as people have lost their minds over removing statues they deem offensive, I vote that every single statue in these United States Of America be removed ASAP.
No statues, no offense.

You’re welcome.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:48 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Around the year 170, a horde of Germanic tribes raided through northern Italy, wreaking havoc on farmland, villages and towns, almost reaching Rome until a local military leader drove them back on a certain day.

For the next hundred years or so, every year on that date the people celebrated the event, vowing to never forget.

Fast-forward a hundred years later, they forgot.

And now memory of the event is accessible only to obscure scholars who read obscure texts in obscure languages.

Eternal peace to you!
I guess I was an obscure scholar in Grade 11 when we learned this. It's not exactly a secret.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:50 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Robert E Lee was pretty much considered a god by everyone south of the Mason-Dixon Line?
Did the millions of black Southerners...hundreds of thousands of whom joined the opposing army...consider Lee to be almost a god?

180,000 would be the number.. Pretty easy to look up and fact check, so 'hundreds of thousands' is not accurate as that would require at least 2 for the plural to fit. And you imply those were black southerners who joined. That's totally inaccurate. Best estimation is half of the 180k were former slaves. The rest were free-men from border states or the north.

Also rather easy to verify is the figure of approximately 12,000 of those being deserters. Which was in line with white troops and is actually surprisingly low because..

Let's remember, the union army wasn't all that kind to black soldiers. Mostly confined to support roles and paid about half of what a white soldier was. Those who were allowed into combat were generally used as cannon fodder.

So, yeah.. 90k != Hundreds of thousands. It is, however, ALMOST one hundred thousand.

So, there's your math, history and internet fact-checking lessons all rolled into one today.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:58 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Then why wasnt slavery abolished...when the south faced the prospect of war to preserve it? And slavery was the issue that animated the South to try to break up the United States... Southern leaders at the time were very clear on that.

Why did the US issue the Declaration of Independence when they knew that it would lead to war with Britain? Sometimes.. You do what you feel is right regardless of the consequences.

Certainly slavery was an issue. And i'd certainly say the main issue. However.. You cannot dismiss other causes.

For most soldiers.. It was a war to protect their homes. While the soldiers themselves, only around 10% owned slaves (This is counting the generals).. The number is still only about 1 in 3 when you expand it out to see if they came from a household that owned a slave. That's still pretty low.

For the government and land owners.. Who weren't fighting.. I have little doubt slavery and maintaining the institution was the primary factor.

Much, much less so for the average soldier.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:00 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
After the war, Lee became a symbol of reconciliation and advocated for free education for Blacks. He was all around pretty much admired by everybody including is former adversaries. The fact this is even in question means we need to a better job a teaching history in public schools.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:41 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is a cultural and historic PURGE of epic proportions. Erasing history from the public view and hence public conversation, good, bad, or indifferent. A true tragedy and a sign of societal BULLYING and intimidation.
The bullying, IMO, is the flying of the Confederate Flag in the face of those whose ancestors were oppressed by it, and some think are still oppressed. It is bullying to fly it in the face of patriotic Americans who fought against the traitors who waged war on the country, resulting in massive deaths and other bodily harm and massive property destruction.

I was born & raised in the south. I understand the Confederacy & that SOME may want to fly the flag because their ancestors served w/distinction in that army. There are a lot of Germans in Germany whose ancestors served w/distinction in Hitler's military, too. That does not make flying the Nazi Flag appropriate.

And let's get real: the flag is usu. flown by ignorant, sometimes violent, racists, as a way of flagging to others of like ilk that he's one of them, and that he's racist. There is a reason that the Confederate Flag was flown at KKK rallies. It MEANS something, and that "something" is a history of death and oppression of black people and all Americans who are not like them. That's what the Confederacy was about, ultimately.

The Confederacy & Civil War is still taught in schools, and the paraphernalia is still exhibited in museums and on the face of graveyard stones. We are not wiping out history. We are wiping out the public worship of a certain attitude toward non-whites, and the not so veiled threat that "the south is gonna rise again."

Old 06-16-2020, 08:22 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Okay. You want history....the Civil War was fought more over states rights than it was slavery.

What "rights" were the states fighting for? What were the States seeking that the Feds were denying?

Old 06-16-2020, 08:35 AM

10,020 posts, read 8,635,195 times
They just took down a Columbus statue in my city. He was here for 140 years, now he's gone. They are also wanting to change the name of a street called "Dorsett" road. I never knew who it was named after, I don't think many others did either. I assumed it was a French fur trapper. Someone is spending a lot of time researching street names. I wonder if any towns, cities or states are in jeopardy of name changes ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History