Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,987 times

Advertisements

[quote=ovcatto;27587856]I would suggest that time isn't nearly as important as the fact that Native Americans were as far as we can tell the first modern humans to occupy the American continents. To me that's pretty freaking native.

Yes, that's pretty native to me too. Besides who's to say there weren't native folks already here when the Asians walked or landed their boats all over the western coast of this country. Then they had the Euro-sapiens "just made that up" landing all along their eastern shores around that same time. This could be the reason for all different physical attributes. It would have been just like everywhere else on the planet where "horizontal gene sharing " was a common occurrence.

I noticed that Full Back mentioned that folks sometimes assume he is Hawaiian when his more recent ancestry is that of a Lord of the Plains Comanche. That Pacific Island Asian look may have entered his genetic pool while his roots were still in Wyoming with the Shoshone or en route along the west to the great plains. We don't know for sure? (I only just recently read that they were an offshoot from the Shoshone because of research I did for a book I am writing that is not about Comanches, but has a very lovely Comanche woman in it that I named Lucy. And yes the way I describe her appearance in the book she would have had some Asian blood somewhere in her.)

Yet, many years ago I used to work with a Comanche fella who was tall, around six feet or so, slim but squarish of build - as in broad shoulders, etc. He had no distinguishable Asian features save for his unruly thick black hair that refused to be confined to a flatter "white man's" hairdo. It just stuck up or went straight out no matter who much gel he used to try and tame it. I couldn't make fun of him because my hair was just as bad, though mine was more of an rambunctious wave. I had to spray mine so thick with hairspray that it ended up as hard as a football helmet to keep it in the style of the time.

Anyway, some Native Americans might have more Asian or European influence in them from way back when even before the last great European migration over here but all in all I don't think we can say they all have Asian in them, but they might who knows, just some more than others depending on their ancestors locale on the American continent.

Gosh, that wasn't much help was it? Arm chair conjecture was all I offered, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
[quote=GINGERSNAP1963;27617303]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I would suggest that time isn't nearly as important as the fact that Native Americans were as far as we can tell the first modern humans to occupy the American continents. To me that's pretty freaking native.
Quote:
Besides who's to say there weren't native folks already here when the Asians walked or landed their boats all over the western coast of this country.
Most archeologist.

Quote:
Then they had the Euro-sapiens "just made that up" landing all along their eastern shores around that same time. This could be the reason for all different physical attributes. It would have been just like everywhere else on the planet where "horizontal gene sharing " was a common occurrence.
While I love the term Euro-sapiens (and I may steal it in the future), Europeans weren't leaving from Lisbon, Le Harve, Plymouth, or Goteborg when the Native American-sapiens walked here 15,000 years ago. Some geneticist my go so far as to argument that Euro-sapiens... white people... didn't exist yet.

Quote:
Anyway, some Native Americans might have more Asian or European influence in them from way back when even before the last great European migration over here but all in all I don't think we can say they all have Asian in them, but they might who knows, just some more than others depending on their ancestors locale on the American continent.
Geneticist tracking human migration are getting pretty setled in their thinking;

New Ideas About Human Migration From Asia To Americas

By the way, about that way back, even the 16th century is a blink in the genetic clock of humans.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 PM

488 posts, read 412,982 times
I thought that the word 'indian' originated in reference to the Indus river & valley, home to Harrapa & Mohenjo-daro, major cities of the Indus Valley Civilization. The Greeks of Macedonia refered to the people there as indios> hindus> which later became India and English colonizations world-wide came to refering to darker, indigenous populations as 'Indians".

Understandable then that the Asiatic look of the inhabitants of NA would apply to them the blanket noun.

I've noticed the physical characteristics of Native Americans seem a meld of Sino/Indo-Aryan.

Then there is this odd architectural resemblance:

In Tikal, Guatemala, a Mayan temple. And...

In Cambodia, a Buddhist temple.

Just food for thought...

Last edited by TheEternalSanctuaryMan; 01-04-2013 at 11:38 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalSanctuaryMan View Post
Then there is this odd architectural resemblance:
It isn't that odd when you think about it. A pyramid is the easiest and most stable way to build a structure of any height. Beam supporting columns require a more advanced understanding of structural engineering.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 PM

488 posts, read 412,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It isn't that odd when you think about it. A pyramid is the easiest and most stable way to build a structure of any height. Beam supporting columns require a more advanced understanding of structural engineering.
I was refering to the tops of these temples, not the overall structures and how they resemble each other closely being located so far from each other by continents & ocean, though the Buddhist one is more intricately adorned.

Not knowing the complete history of these buildings nor the composition of the stones used to determine durabilities, and with just acknowledged burnt-up official Mayan history to go on, I wonder about the age of them. What Spanish & Portugese reports may have related to Catholic sources from explorations in Cambodia and Central America done within the same time period that may have led to classifying Native Americans & Meso-Americans as 'indians'.

But again, just food for thought...

Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM

Well ovcatto I knew when I wrote my arm chair conjecture someone was bound to correct me and that’s alright. I think it is obvious that I have very little education in the matter and basically have no business putting my two cents worth in but I did just because I find pondering on these things very interesting. With that said I think I need to quit buttin' in on other folks conversations. I can see how this "forum" can become as addicting as Facebook.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 AM

Yeah, go Jaada, go Jaada (I sing as I do the clubbing - churning the butter dance from the 1990 or was it the 80s?) you'd already confirmed my arm chair conjecture, though I just now read it. Thanks, I was really getting tired of being beatin' about the head and shoulders and dubbed a numbnut for my same theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
obviously you know nothing of native americans our beliefs traditions are not all the same do you even know what a powwow is of course not - powwows are not traditional, all music is not the same and our languages are different so- turn off the john wayne movies and get a life.

Now, after comparing DNA samples from people in dozens of modern-day Native American and Eurasian groups, an international team of scientists thinks it can put the matter to rest: Virtually without exception the new evidence supports the single ancestral population theory.
Native Americans are more closely related to each other than to any other existing Asian populations, except those that live at the very edge of the Bering Strait," said Kari Britt Schroeder, a lecturer at the University of California, Davis, and the first author on the paper describing the study. Native Americans descended from a single ancestral group, DNA study confirms

The mongoloid characteristics did not even exist in Asian until 7,000 years ago. So any mongoloid characteristics people THINK they see in Native Americans did not come from Asia. No matter where people say Native Americans came from, all evidence proves it false.

First Americans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff2g-G0og…

2003: Padre Furada (Brazil)
http://www.speedylook.com/Pedra_Furada.h… (broken link)
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stori… (broken link)
2004: New Evidence Puts Man In North America 50,000 Years Ago
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200… (broken link)
2008: Humans walked America 40,000 years ago
http://www.itwire.com/index2.php?option=… (broken link)

Native Americans are their own race.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times
There is a full-blood Cherokee Indian who joined the US Navy a few days after the Japanese bombed Hawaii when he was 16 and was discharged 4 years later. He tells of his ship landing at a place in Asia (I cannot think of the name!) getting off the ship and experiencing the biggest shock of his life when he recognized everywhere he looked were people who looked like him. He can still feel the impact today at age 86. He knew it was where he came from. Last year he showed me an article in "National Geographic," with a map delineating where various people came from and the place he mentioned is right in line.

When he came home, he was given an honorary high school diploma and he enrolled in college on the GI Bill. He was helped by the $8,000 he gradually sent to his mother to keep for him. It was gambling winnings. When he joined, he'd never drank, smoked, gambled or anything else, but, by the time he reached the West Coast to board his ship, he'd done it all.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalSanctuaryMan View Post
I was refering to the tops of these temples, not the overall structures and how they resemble each other closely being located so far from each other by continents & ocean, though the Buddhist one is more intricately adorned.
And I was referring to the entire structure the caps included. But I would hasten to point out that the tops are severely eroded so we can't really tell what the original resemblance might have been.

But this we do know the Mayan structure probably dates back to the 2nd or 10th century AD while the Cambodian version like those at Angkor was built much later. Do you have any further details on the Cambodian version?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
Scientists still seem stuck on the idea that the migration occurred
only 15,000 years ago, which doesn't make sense to me. I know
they need evidence before arriving at a much earlier date, but
who's to say it's not plausible to have occurred hundreds of thousands
years ago ? The lack of archeological site evidence doesn't mean the
migration did not occur earlier.
They are still trying to figure this out.
New deglaciation data opens door for earlier First Americans migration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History