Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:43 AM

43 posts, read 48,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The term "Native American" is a rebranding of the American Indian intended to make the east Indians now immigrating here more comfortable. It's no longer convenient for the establishment to call American Indians "Indians"; indeed it's downright unprofitable to do so as corporate America sees the east Indians as being more economically important than American ones.

So once again the Indian is shouldered aside to better suit the interests of others.
First of all the people called East Indians now were originally known as Hindustanis. If you look at a map prior to the 1900's it was called Hindustan and not India. The term Indian did not arrive with Columbus being lost but that Indian derived from Indios means People of God, or as we say the Great Spirit.

Last edited by Amer'Indian Warrior; 05-08-2015 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 02:51 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times
Default vintage photo eskimo family

here's an old photo of an eskimo family, they look like hunters, but these people are more recent than other tribes in the US

since they arrived more recent they retain the asian appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
ever notice some full blooded Native Americans look Asian?-eskimos.jpg  

Old 01-25-2017, 09:10 PM

12 posts, read 10,330 times
Kenniwick Man and Spirit Cave Man were said to be European Caucasoids, Ainu Caucasoids, now thru DNA studies both are genetically ancestral to Native Americans. That's how stupid these 'oid classifications are, unless Native Americans are Caucasoids now!! The Chumash people of Southern California were making Tomol Planked Canoes before the Hawaiian Islands were even colonized, and we have zero oral history of anyone coming to teach our ancestors how to make Canoes. As a matter of fact, our own ancestors told us one of our ancient ancestors invented the Tomols because on our islands we had no trees suitable to make Dug outs or reed boats, so they used red wood driftwood they collected that came from Northern Cali. The scientist who proposed these myths uses the word Tomol'o, which is a word we do not use, we use Tomol, she is deceivingly trying to add another syllable to it to match the Hawaiian word. The Chumash had been living in the Channel Islands for over 13,000 years, and I know they had to figure out problems a land base tribe who were not sea faring, wouldn't have to. They used what little wood they had to create a patchwork boat made out of planks, they just got good at it and created the most unique, Sea worthy in the Western Hemisphere. No Sea Faring Polynesians required! God I hate Hyper diffusionists! If the Klar and Jones et al. Would of asked the actual Chumash People she's trying to discredit by giving away our accomplishments to some other people half an ocean away, these ad the reasons why we can't trust Anthropologists.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:16 PM

19,050 posts, read 27,620,833 times
People, Caucasoids are OLIVE skinned with BLACK hair and usually beaked nose. Georgians. Armenians. Azerbaijanis. Turks. Jews for what it is, as they look exactly same. How did THEY become a white man standard?

Old 01-26-2017, 10:35 PM

50,852 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
OMG, another armchair anthro class.
I was lucky enough to listen in on tons of scholarly archeology debates in my post college days. And one thing I learned was the scholarly glass towers are full of babbling egotistical idiots.
Getting tenured means you must get published, and getting published means you must learn to plagiarize effortlessly at will. Your career depends on it. But I digress.

Technically speaking is incorrect, it should be theoretically speaking, technically speaking, Hollytree, today's theory is tomorrow's doorstop textbook. You know, the one's the student bookstore refuses to buy back?

And before we begin, try and remember all the bony-nosed four-eyed geeks majoring in anthropology and archeology have their own forum for anthro's and archy's which make CDF P&OC threads look like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

First, the anthropology field is full of subfields and each is broken down into its own subfields. Linguistics, physical anthropology, cultural anthropology, and archeology are the four food groups.
I, your "Asian-looking" narrator majored in cultural anthro, but was kidnapped by a self-seeking band of archy's hell-bent on digging up Native American graves to feed their career. But, that's another story.

When were the America's settled. A simple answer is we don't know, any more than we know when Man became Man and not Ape, or Cro-Magnon, or Neanderthal. All science can go by was the latest archeological dig date and then let them argue that one for awhile. A better question for this thread would be how long before an asian starts looking like a buffalo-head nickel. My answer is never. We be red, they be yellow, you mixed up.

And therein lies just one of the many debates. Why are some sites in South America dated to 45K to 70K and in the Northern Hemishere the dates run to 13K? And why do some believe the clovis population was a different population from today's native populations altogether? Don't ask for a citation on that one. That converstation may have resulted over a bar tab bet.

And what about the Kennewick Man, he had facial skeletal features associated with European features.

For all we know, there was no ONE-WAY migration, nor can we conclusively state it was in three waves when the ice allowed. Because science can only theorize.

Who says we look like asian. Maybe asian look like native!

A linguistics course in college taught that there are over 400 tribes in the Americas and the linguists believe it would have taken 70,000 years in the Americas to disburse these major languages into various dialects.

DNA can not prove a migration. DNA can only prove samples containing dates from which anthropologists can form hypothesis that point to land bridge migration. If sea ice is locked up, the coastal archeological sites would now be underwater. And internet searches often reveal findings such as DNA confirms Atlantis with cro-magnon.

Evidence Supports Earlier Date for People in North America - The New York Times

To the white man, full bloods may look like asians, but to the native, it is always a white man's objective to prove something so he can take something away.
So you basically discount the "babbling egotistical idiots" that have degrees and credentials, but we are just supposed to believe you.

Maybe you could explain that concept to me.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Whatever. Just tired of asinine statements, like "well they are not native americans since there were none..." Our tribe has its own culture and apparently, some folks just think we don't exist.

Any educated person? Well well, puff puff, snooty aren't we? Thanks for the update.

Well, this uneducated person understands nomadic peoples move en masse, with a lot of smaller migrations and who knows, even individual movements hugging the coastlines.

We've always been told we look Phillipino, and on a trip to the Hawaiin islands, I had natives ask me if I was an islander.

Another interesting foot print to follow is a linguistic study. I have often wondered how the languages of the Americas compare with any of the languages across the asian land.

While I chew on that, take a bite of this. No one knows. People guess, then argue back and forth until the next theory comes along.

I think Man is an explorer by nature and I don't know why you would use a theory to say "native americans" don't exist, because so and so were here first, or they came from asia.

Just follow your thoughts and next thing you will sound like Obama's ex-preacher. By your logic, albeit tongue in cheek, there were no native americans because they came from somewhere else, then there are no asians, because THEY came from somewhere else, and there are no europeans because blah blah...and so on and so on.

Whatever. Culturally speaking, we have our Origin Legends and that is our collective identity. You can gather all the DNA evidence you want, but we have a tribe which we belong to and that is cool.

Most modern Americans have such a mixture of european ties, they no longer follow any of their traditions. Which I think is sad. I love cultural anthropology, and any and all cultures are interesting to me.

Even Indians with chips on their shoulders might teach you something!
Again, what gives you the authority that would make us believe your posturing?

Old 01-26-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression YOU were the one saying it. See your quote below. You said they are not Native Americans. What are we then in your eyes? Transplanted-asians-who-migrated-thousands-of-years-ago?

What am I missing here. Actually, I believe I understand completely the point of the thread. Which is "ever notice how some full bloods look asian?" From there we go to the Bering Strait migrations and DNA coming from Asia. What am I missing?

I wouldn't say science is stumbling, rather they are stating what they feel is obvious. Scienctists are trying to establish how the Americas came to be populated.
I am also taking into consideration the physical anthropologist's comparing skeletal remains of ancient native american (would you feel better if I use the words ancient asian migrating peoples?) populations with the present day Native populations and seeing how they compare.
After all, Asia is a big chunk of real estate and the genetic basis may contain genetic material from different directions, i.e. coastal, island hoppers, etc

As for mythology, its not a question of believing my own tribe's origin mythology, I was simply stating Native cultures origin mythology provides an identity, whereas, your statement "there are no native americans", takes away from that identity, like you can simply reduce a whole slew of cultures like we simply took the asian bus a few stops down the line.

No, it was your statement, "Any educated person understands scientific theories evolve and change." Its the tone of the words, it carries implications of either I cannot grasp this, or I am not educated. Hopefully it is neither.

I am not even going to answer your question, "Do you believe scientific theories NEVER change?" DUH. OMG. <shakes head in amazement> Again, communicating online has its drawbacks.

What personal agenda? You make the statement:

Do you have any Native American friends? Excuse me, do you have any friends who are human beings with DNA from ancient asian populations who migrated via the bering strait thousands and thousands of years ago? (I keep forgetting you believe there are no Native Americans.)

Would you ever walk up to one and say, "Gee, hmm, I can tell by your epithantic eye folds you are really an asian DNA stock from 30 thousand years ago. You REALLY should drop the Native American moniker, because technically speaking, there AIN'T NONE." And see what reaction you get.
I am reminded of a conversation I once had with some American Indians from Arizona who were lamenting that Whites didn't understand their people; maybe I should restate...they were blaming Whites for not understanding their people. And I asked them if they weren't from one of the Indian villages from which Whites were almost totally banned, and they were. And so, how can expect people to understand you if you won't interact with them?

Old 01-28-2017, 06:50 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
This is interesting.

Asian is too broad a term.

Do you mean East Asian?
South Asian?

I ask because Natives do not look East Asian to me.
They also do not appear to resemble Indians from India.

Btw,many people do not seem to understand that Indians are Caucasian.They are not "Mongoloid".

Old 01-28-2017, 08:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
People, Caucasoids are OLIVE skinned with BLACK hair and usually beaked nose. Georgians. Armenians. Azerbaijanis. Turks. Jews for what it is, as they look exactly same. How did THEY become a white man standard?
Because the southern Caucasus region was widely believed to be the Proto-Indo-European homeland.

And the term 'Caucasoid' was not intended to define a "white man standard", as you put it, considering that in addition to the diverse European peoples, others such as Persians, Hindus, some Central Asians, and some North Africans were categorized as Caucasoid as well.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:41 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
This is another idea about where they might have come from..

Geneticist Traces Mysterious Origins of Native Americans to Middle East, Ancient Greece
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History